1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Vampire Teeth.... In or Out?

Jan 8, 2011

1. I like the teeth to show.

It bothered me so much that my Migidoll Vampire Miho had no vampire teeth, I had them modded on.

For me, having the teeth show gives the vampire doll a look of otherworldliness, of strangeness. Without the teeth showing, he's just another cute, human looking doll....:yawn

2. Exactly my opinion :D

Vampire teeth in real life should not be seen, but in dolls I think they look cute if they're small. When they're too pronounced, sometimes they make them look... Fake, for lack of a better word.

3. I like vampire teeth in, it looks more natural. There are some that are cute with little teeth on the lower lip but it also seems unrealistic and it takes away from the beauty for me.

4. I like them subtle... Like my girl (who happens to not be a vampire :P)
      [​IMG]

I like it when it's more natural. DIM I think did a good job with the teeth.

5. I like vampire teeth that show! Otherwise what's the point? You can call any doll a vampire but it's the teeth that really make it.

6. I'm honestly not a huge fan of vampires, but if I were doing a vampire doll, I'd probably go with one of the more open mouthed sculpts ( RingDoll Spencer comes to mind) and maybe paint on or carve a small groove for those points. That way, it would have a bit of a grin and still show off those teeth without looking obvious on the lips. Of course, I guess I just enjoy subtlety.

7. They don't seem to flaunt them, because Edward or any other sorry excuse for "vampires" from Tardlight don't actually HAVE "vampire" teeth XB;; (Nor are they even vampires to begin with, and the fact that they're without the proper canines only helps support that truth).

If it's on a doll, I'd prefer them out because otherwise it doesn't distinguish them from being a "human" doll.
      Though I never realized how right the OP is... when they're stuck out on a real human it looks weird, but on a doll it looks perfectly fine. Ha >w<;

Though because of this particular plague on literature, I've been utterly disgusted by "vampires" lately, and in turn have been neglecting my own vamp charac I wanted in doll form.... T__T;

8. I like slightly open mouths with vampire teeth just showing if you look inside, its subtle and natural looking in my opinion.

9. Zest... I love you. I was going to write the exact same thing, but you summed up all my disappointments. <3

If the lips are parted, I'd like teeth to show, but if the mouth is closed, than no. I don't think they should show o.O

10. I like vampire teeth out even though it looses a bit of realism, because without the teeth there it just looks like any other human doll.

11. I don't mind vampire teeth poking out of closed lips on dolls, even though they realistically wouldn't show. Speaking of vampy teeth, though, this is why I like my B&G Doll Burrysa, Araminthe. As someone mentioned upthread, she has a very open mouth with a snarling expression. Because her mouth is wide open and her lips are peeled back, her top and bottom teeth are quite visible, including the pointy ones! You can see how B&G painted them white to stand out against the red of her mouth.

[​IMG]
      Incidentally, her snarling expression is much more versatile than I expected. She easily looks like she's angry, pissed off, puzzled, concentrating, surprised, even just talking.:roar We should have a vampire icon, but this is as close as I can find. :D

--MW

12. Yes, that about covers it. I have to admit it is hard for me to focus on my love of vampires lately thanks to that. I do have three vampire characters that I am still working with, two are presently home in doll form. Kisten is a delf Lu-wen. He has small visible fangs which I like. Amaryllis is a honey delf muffin, no fangs. The reason she has no visible fangs is because she is a child. That's just what works for me. In dolls I don't mind the visible fangs but in people it would be a bit odd.

13. I completely agree! The first ID's fangs were lovely in that his mouth was open, as though he were just about to bite. I prefer an open mouth, I guess, but I have a thing for parted lips and showing teeth... But I also like the closed sculpts with tiny teeth that are just a subtle reminder of the doll's vampire nature.

My good friend is props master for a vampire live role playing game and she has a lot to say about the teeth on lips. I can't show her any of those sculpts as she might burst a blood vessel in rage. ;) Funny the things people are sticklers about.

14. Thank you, Zest! ;)

Nice mouth, ModernWizard! Example pics are definitely welcome!

15. Personally I like them in and out too, and it looks beautiful when the lips are slightly parted and the tip of the teeth are shown.

16. Personally, I don't like it if the teeth show if the mouth is closed. It seems a little silly, because it a big warning sign that the doll/character is a vampire (where's the subtleness?), and in my stories vampires have retractable, thin fangs. I don't buy open-mouth dolls either, so I won't go for the more anatomically correct sculpts with snarling expressions and fangs showing (though they are pretty to look at). I'll rather go for normal-looking dolls and show that they are meant to represent vampires in *other* ways. Like glowing eyes for example.

17. I guess that all goes to personal preferences, i do confess that i'm not much into vampires molds :sweat
      But i do own Migma from soom and also Withdoll Dante both have different opne mouth and shown differently the fangs:
      WARNING HORROR/BLOOD
      Soom Migma aka Sorcha
      Withdoll Dante aka Yves
      I do love personally Infernale from IoS and also Doria from Iplehouse but i guess that both sculpts are interesting also for the sculpted tongue :)

18. This is a good point and something I too considered when making my vampire doll. Surely if the doll were obviously a vampire, it wouldn't be able to hunt effectively and would expose itself to danger (pitchfork-wielding mobs, for instance). But then I thought... what about Dracula? He was obviously a bit weird (hairy palms, no reflection, climbing head-first down his castle walls, etc), but he hunted pretty damn well, amiright Lucy Westenra. It occurred to me that vampires don't really need to blend in - they're such weird creatures, in my world anyway, that they hunt by even more bizarre, nefarious means than simply sneaking up on their victims. My vampire, Amleth, hunts by seduction much more than simple brute force, like Dracula. Besides, now that vampires are considered so cool and sexy, I bet that vampires are just swarming with willing victims. Fangs getteth the girl. And here, by the way, are Amleth's gorgeous Cerberus Project-sculpted teeth - he wouldn't be the same without them!

[​IMG]

19. Vampire teeth have always been a problem because of this. I've got a pair or two of fangs, myself... somewhere... and, yeah, they don't show unless you've got our mouth open. (They also make you lisp a bit if you aren't used to them, which is SO uncool!)

Most people/vamps don't go around with their mouths open all the time, so this can be awkward in a doll, too. So most vamp sculpts have the tiny tips of the fangs showing over the lower lip. (I've got several-- CP Elf El vamp and Elf Lishe Vamp... teeth are so small they might not even be there... you can only really see them at certain angles or if you're really close-up.) I've seen dolls with bigger fangs, but that even looks stranger--since you'd really need to have a serious over-bite for that. So, yeah, that kind of thing has been rather unsatisfying for me.

Do you preffer your vampire teeth in or out?
      I guess I'd have to prefer "IN"--but SHOWING, even though I own several "out" (tips of teeth over lips) dolls. BUT it's difficult to make a good sculpt with teeth in. IOS just made a head (limited--sold) with a wide open mouth and nice fangs... It looked great! but having a doll with a mouth open like that would make me feel odd (like my mouth would start to get sore at being open just in sympathy. I seem to have this problem with dolls that have strong expressions like big grins and frowns, too.) ... SO I would probably not buy one, even though I think it looks more real for a vampire.

I have recently bought a doll that has cat fangs showing... his mouth is slightly open/grinning, and look fairly natural/comfortable in that position. He's not a vampire, but he could probably work as one (if he didn't have leopard spots all over him).

Does it effect how you look at other people's dolls?

Hmmm... maybe. I usually don't worry about other people's dolls because THEY have to look at them all the time, not me, and if they like them, that's all that matters, right? I pretty much think the same things I'd think if they were my own dolls... that some of the over-lip fangs are too small to matter, or too big to look good, and require a weird over-bite... I don't hate them at all, though!

Does it even matter on a sculpt, or would it be a deal-breaker?

If the sculpt is good, it doesn't matter.

What are some vampire scuplts that look more "natural" to you?

IOS Infernale
      http://dollios.com/shop/step1.php?number=76&b_code=B20110927124104

Iplehouse Aaliyah (scroll down for fang ver. head... fangs are almost too big, but still good)
      http://www.iplehouse.net/shop/step1.php?number=3070&b_code=B20070312035403

Iplehouse Doria the Addiction (scroll down for fang head version)
      http://www.iplehouse.net/shop/step1.php?number=3069&b_code=B20070312035403

RaMCube Black Leopard Kyle (not a vamp, but fangs sculpt is not bad--should be a bit longer perhaps)
      http://ramcubedoll.com/shop/step1.php?number=66

20. For me I'll say I like my teeth in, definitelly in... unless it's subtle enough that it looks natural (which sadly is rarely the case). It's the reason why I find most vampire dolls' mouths to be terribly ugly (in my opinion, always). My preference for the teeth being on the inside is also the reason I fell for a certain limited doll that is simply impossible (I don't even joke about that) to acquire secondhand and I've been hitting my head against a brick wall for that ever since.