1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Vampire Teeth.... In or Out?

Jan 8, 2011

1. Unless the mouth is slightly open and you'd see the teeth no matter what, I don't think the teeth should be visible. Maybe for demons and monsters with huge fangs, then of course you'd see their teeth a bit, but for vampires, the fangs aren't supposed to be very big, just sharp.

2. I like visible fangs. Perhaps it's not very anatomically correct, but I think they still look good. I got my Bellosse partly because I wanted a vamp doll with visible fangs, but her mouth is slightly parted to show her teeth anyway.

3. I think the vampire teeth are cute :) I like them

4. Sorry, but you're a bit off the mark, and I am physical proof to this

[​IMG]

I do not have an overbite, and I do not have an indentation to my lip. What you're forgetting is option three; what do the fangs look like with the mouth open? My eyeteeth are prominent in that, they sit high in the gumline, and protrude out, far in front of my other teeth, allowing for them to easily curve over my lip. These are my real teeth, not just fangs stuck in over eyeteeth. Try thinking of it that way; when you see a vampire with fangs hanging over the bottom lip, just assume the anatomy of their upper jaw involves canines set farther forward than the rest of their teeth. I assure you, it's absolutely anatomically possible and, if the hundreds of small children asking me the same question count, then yes. It is very easily a vampire trait.

Therefor, it isn't so much a, can it happen, but rather a question of, how do you envision your dolls fangs and the physiology of your vampire

5. Personally, I prefer open mouthed vampires. But, like Syri said, the teeth out is possible.

6. Ah, but NOT every fanged sculpt is... or was intended to be... a vampire. Most, maybe, but not all. RaMCube's Black Leopard, for instance, is a feline sort of creature. (I'd have just called him a Bastet, but I doubt anyone outside of the tabletop RPG or LARP hobbies would have understood the reference. The Bastet are werecats from White Wolf's various World of Darkness games.) The two dolls I linked to in my post on the first page are intended to be a selkie and an air elemental. I've also seen fanged sculpts used for dragons, werewolves, kitsune and even more obscure things (Abyssal and Lunar Exalted characters, faeries of the darker variety, 40K Dark Eldar and that kind of thing-), so I wouldn't automatically say that fangs are always "obviously a vampire", even straight from the company. Much less after we collectors get ahold of them! :lol:

7. Hmmm, very interesting topic!

I personally have two vampire characters, and I prefer them without the visible teeth, as I mostly prefer dolls without the visible fangs as well. I just like the subtlety of it; I love more the suggestion of a vampire or otherworldly creature while maintaining the mystique of the unknown and supernatural!

8. I've never really thought of that before lol they really would need a serious overbite. I've always liked to see the teeth a little bit, otherwise they look like normal dolls to me, not a vampire doll. I think maybe a doll with a slightly, very slightly, open mouth with the vampire teeth showing, or the vampire teeth just barely showing with the mouth closed is what I'd prefer.

9. Personally, I don't think you need to display their teeth to give off a vampiric vibe. Hair, clothes, body language can express it well enough to me- but the iconic fangs help too. I think it's weird to see dolls with closed mouths and fangs that overlap their lips as that seems incredibly unnatural. I mean honestly, you don't see most carnivores with their canines hanging out like that, so why should vampires? It looks more natural(and comfortable) for them to be sitting behind their lips, unless the mouth is slightly opened and they are made visible. But even then, I'd prefer them to be sitting as naturally as the other teeth, not pushing forward. As a side note: Not all creatures of the night that are fanged are vampires. I hate it when people confuse my dark prince as a vampire when he's so much more than that. But I understand they associate fangs with vampirism, so I'll just have to work on changing that.

10. For me it really depends on how the mouth is sculpted. For the most part I dont tend to like most dolls with vampire teeth apart from how the new Iple House Doria's are on her vampire head. Even IH Aaliyah's vampire head teeth kinda bother me. I plan on having at least 5 vampire character BJDs but none of them are vampire sculpts and none of them will have exposed teeth. It's mostly because said characters need to have that "human" appearance and look like normal people and not some super natural beings apart from having super light skin [one will be white skin] or being more beautiful than the average human.

11. i dont think something as novelty and cute as vampire fangs could ever go out of style
      imo i think theyre on that same level as cat ears and fox tails even people who dont like them still like them :p

i also agree with not having to show the teeth to still look like a vampire or achieve an otherwordly vibe without using obvious symbols... i think that shows off a lot of talent :3

12. I would only want a doll with visible fangs if they were visible because her mouth was open enough to see them - see Soom's Migma for an example of what I mean.

This doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing other types of vampires/fanged dolls, it's just that the overbite aspect would bug me too much to own them myself :sweat

13. Depends on the doll, actually. I'm not a huge vampire fan to begin with, but I've always adored the look of CP's vampire sculpts. They do it very well, with just a hint of teeny points showing. I think it's really cute. On the other hand, I've never liked Dollmore's Dollpire collection. Teeth are way too overdone and, yes, they look fake. I don't like the look at all so as much as I love Dollmore's sculpts, those particular dolls won't be making their way into my home.

Same goes with ... Notdoll Belladonna, I think? Her entire look just creeps me out. Sorry, owners, but she does. Too much like a possessed porcelain doll in a horror movie or something. I don't find her pretty to look at in any way. That is only my personal opinion, though. To those who love her look, good for you! I'm glad you enjoy her.

Then there is Iplehouse's newest limited collection. Talk about dramatic! But it's done so well that I can't help loving them, especially the bigger sculpts (the babies are just kind of meh in comparison). Those open mouths and licking their chops like they're about to take a bite (or just finished)? That's just awesome and definitely screams vampire. I doubt any will be making their way home because, like I said, I'm not into vampires, but I do like looking at them. They are some seriously gorgeous dolls.

14. I kind of like both gives you an option to choose if your moods is like i want to be scary or seductive like hehe is fun too. But when is halloween can be vampy and ghoulish too sometimes you can scare neighbor too.

15. I don't have any vampire characters that I'd make into a doll, so the teeth seem a little pointless to me. (No pun intended!) I've seen some that I think are cute though!

16. I have several vampire characters but only one has visible teeth (because his mouth is open). I prefer that to the closed mouth with teeth hanging out over the bottom lip.

17. I have two vampire girls at home and another vampire doll on order and I really love their visible teeth, no matter if they are anatomically correct or not.

18. I personally don't like the teeth to be visible unless the mouth is open. I know in SOME cases it is somewhat anatomically sound for the teeth to be showing, but not by a great deal.

19. I love dolls with little fangs/teeth visible, but i'm not keen on big vampire fangs on closed mouths, just look unnatural and naff to me. No offense to those who like, just personal taste.

20. I can't believe people are still insisting fangs visible are anatomically incorrect. How can you even reason that when I've shown you real photographic proof that it isn't.