1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Variation of Boy Bodies....

Apr 1, 2007

1. Hmm, this is interesting, but I have a question for you all: would you want a more muscular girl? Maybe not the same way we're talking about the boys, but an atheletic girl. I've never seen them around.

Anyway.

I feel exactly the same - especially the quote "heroine chic" I probably shouldn't but I love the way it sounds :sweat

Though while I love ridiculously thin boys, I saw Jace and... instant love for the body. His face leaves something to be desired, but the body is brilliant. He's got the maximum amount of muscle I'd want to see. Though the Domuya flexi-body is, like, perfect to me. Totally perfect, especially the length of then legs! *swoon*

But other than that I like smooth and thin boys, their body shapes just appeal to me more, both in resin and in real. A little definition is all that's necessary ^^

.... heroine chic :D *giggles*

2. I agree with Idoru and ka_la_la_lira. I don't like muscle on dolls, and I don't like them much in real life either. I just want my dolls to be thin and healthy, not exercise maniacs xD That's not to say I like the really skinny dolls either. I need just the right proportion~

3. I'd really love a bigger male doll, mesomorphic or endomorphic. I'd also like to see bigger girls and more, runner-athlete girls.
      Personally, I'd like a bigger guy in mature MSD form. Don't know how likely that is. Though I've seen the MNF a-line males, I really want a face that matches a bit better and doesn't have the light pudgyness to the cheeks.

I've read that the body ideal is very different between Asia and America. There was a video game company (and I don't remember which, though I think it was NCsoft) who was trying to collaborate a game between Korean and American designers. The main problem they had was that American "heros" tend to be bigger, mesomorphic guys. In Korea, those tend to be the "villain" and the thinner ectomorph tends to be the "hero" who wins by inner strength.
      This may sound off-topic, but I think that may have a major effect on what types of dolls we see, and why there aren't so many large guys (and girls) out there to choose from.

4. The prevalence of thin, willowy boys is part of the reason why I was convinced I'd never get a boy doll. I'd rather just put the pretty head on a girl body. :XD: Iplehouse killed me, though, with their Akando. Wham - instant want! Such a gorgeous body combined with a stunning face. So, yeah, it took all of about five seconds to recant all my previous views. :| I really hope other companies start following suit. Variety is always a good thing. :)

5. I agree on the body of the Akando doll. It's very nice. The clown make-up... very not my taste. A friend actually pointed me to the doll because I have an original character called Akando in a WIP I'm doing and he's rather well built. We both thought that it was funny there was a doll with the same name and beefier than you normally see in a doll(if not quite as built as my guy).

6. No, you're not alone. I know I'm never going to get a boy BJD, because I find barely any of them attractive, for that reason alone. I don't understand the recent fad of girly boys...I like my men, well, manly! ;) I don't mind the Mecha Angel bodies - in fact, Sabik is probably the only male bjd I could ever see myself owning - but I'm not so into how tall they are, being a shorty myself. I think I'll just stick with being a fan of girl dolls. There are some girls out there that are exactly what I find beautiful, but I doubt that there's ever going to be anything to fit what I find attractive in men.

7. You made me curious so I went to look that one up and... OMG GIMMIE. :D

But yeah, I'd love to see more body variation in male BJDs too. Thin guys are pretty and all, but I'd love to get something different down the road, as I like buff dudes too. As long as it's not crazy overboard stuff. :V

8. Overly muscley dolls don't do a thing for me. I chose bodies for both of my boys that don't have much muscle definition at all. I'd rather just see a chubby boy body or a more average body - not so slim and fem.

9. I would love the choice. While none of my male characters look like body builders it is obvious they work out to some extent. If I could get a male BJD with the body sculpt of a gymnast or even a dancer, where you can see muscle but it's not bludging out everywhere like Vin's does. This is the very thing that turned me off of Hounds, a huge boy doll with a face I could do so much with on a body that makes me just want to shove food down his throat to fatten him up some. Not all men are super skinny or super built, most are in the middle and I'd hope one day to see that middle choice for MSD and SD and Larger sizes.

10. I suppose a little more... Defined wouldn't be too bad. But I'm scared to death of body builders. They look so... Unnatural. And the 'double shoulders', as I call them, make me cringe. e-e; So, while variety would be nice, I think I'd have to stick with the typical skinny boy dolls.

11. I would like to see some male dolls that look like men and are more broad like men, but not total beef cakes. I like seeing manly dolls but honestly, not every man in the world spends their free time pushing steroids and working weights at the gym.

I'm not saying I want a doll with a beer belly or anything. Just a nice manly man, with broad shoulders and just a bit of natural non gym sculpted muscle.

12. Personally, for me, I only like boys that are skinny and slightly scrawny. Haha, I'm not shallow though, I promise!! I'm just not drawn to muscular looking guys, so I suppose in those regards, I also wouldn't want a super muscular BJD....

I think their size and proportion is just one of the many reasons I love my dolls... so yeah, I like the sculpts that are out now. :aheartbea

13. I love that Iplehouse have brought out Akando. Their male faces are exceptionally masculine, Aaron instantly springs to mind, and Akando's body is awesome. He is truly a man doll rather than a boy doll. I also like the Minifee body, that is quite ripped, MNF boys are certainly not as immature looking as their other comrades in the 45cm category.

Boy dolls in general aren't for me, so I'm happy to look at owner pictures and photostories with boy dolls. I'm not into Yaoi either, both of my boys are straight arrows. Well...Zee isn't so straight as a forked branch, but he has a girlfriend, so that makes him straight for now :lol:

Do you mean "Heroine chic" - as in "Hey! He looks attractively feminine!", or "Heroin chic" as in "Hey! He looks like he's spent all his food budget on drugs!"

14. I think the more muscular dolls look pretty awesome, but I'd much rather have my boy with his little pudgy belly. ^-^ (It isn't large, just looks very round in shape.)

15. while im not a big fun of muscles, it would definitely welcome a body that looks slightly more like a normal male does, and not look like it's going to break in half whenever the wind blows :D

16. As a male I think there is a good variety of male bodies out there for dolls. I remember years back when I got into dollfies and thinking the same, but now we have much more especially since Akando came along heehee. I think he will pave the way for more like him. Hes not a 'fat' doll, but he adds diversity.
      At the same time sometimes it is quite ridiculous when you see a baby faced boy doll on a muscular body!
      I prefer dolls that are more 'toned', not skinny, not over beefy, but like the Super Gems Soom makes, I think they have great bodies and nice mature head sculpts. I also like the curvier female sculpts such as Delf and the double jointed Soulkid bodies rather than the skinnier molds.
      There are a lot of women in this thread saying they prefer skinny male dolls, but do they feel the same way about their female dolls? ;)

17. Personally I prefer - for both girls and boys - the younger, softer, romanticized bodies. I don't want a too mature and/or realistic body as it would conflict with the soft, stylized face types that I prefer. Plus I think I'd feel awkward handling a muscly, mature doll or a doll that looks older than me - it'd be so heavy and cumbersome. My ideal dolls are caught in an eternal quasi-adolescence or childhood. Volks, Luts, Crobidoll, Serendipity, etc. And I found bjds through my interest in anime/manga, in which everyone has a willowy and elongated or long-legged body, so from my prospective I don't see bjds as especially skinny.

I'm not fond of the trend toward thinner, bigger-breasted female doll bodies and taller, more muscly male bodies. Each to their own taste, but I'm hoping this fad will fade out soon. I haven't much interest in new sculpts lately (but maybe I should be happy about that!)

(Just for the record, I'm annoyed when preferences about doll body aesthetics are tangled with the politics of body issues. I don't care if my doll looks unhealthy, if I like how it looks; it's my fantasy after all.)

When it comes to beefier bodies, I like the Soom super gem male bodies, though I don't want one because it would not fit into my bjd world. And I love the Dollstown 15boy and Luts senior delf bodies. Akando and UH scare me, though I must admit I am impressed by Akando's joint engineering. Super senior delf, Dollshe and mecha angel are ungraceful and proportionally somewhat awkward; I do like stylized proportions but something about these is off-putting to me.

Well, this was long-winded but to sum it up: I do enjoy seeing different types of bodies even if they are not types I like, but I'm tired of the mature dolls trend already and would prefer to see more variations on the younger, softer aesthetic that I prefer. I have no interest in getting a mature type doll.

18. I would like to know too how asian artists would do this. Sounds like it would be very interesting to see what they would come up with. :D

19. Beefier than Akando or is Iplehouse not working with an asian artist? o_O

Anyway someone up there mentioned "atheletic girl"
      I totally would want that, becauses I have a tomboy girl with me now, and she needs something so I can take her off the man bod she's borrowing xD

20. I think there are some more muscular guys out there right now - if you look. However, I would love to see more.

My biggest complaint is not the lack of beefy guys, but that all the beefy guys that ARE available are also GIANTS. What, short guys can't work out? I want someone with a stocky wrestlers' physique! Give me Akando, but 59cm tall! Give me a shorter SD16 man! THAT I would be all over, in a heartbeat.

There's definitely a lack of athletic females on the market, too. The Dollstown 15Girl body is pretty good - she's got more heft to her, and decent muscle definition in her shoulders and upper arms, at least. I'd love to see some more muscles in her legs, though, and her stomach. Girls can have visible abs, too. **sigh**