1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks is coming to Los Angeles, CA

May 27, 2005

1. I can't say I'm too excited, seeing as it's basically as far away as Japan to me. Oh well.

NYC would've rocked so much harder.

2. Almost everything comes to East Coast first! I remember when here in Southern California we didn't have Bloomingdales, Macy's, FAO Schwartz, Target, etc, etc... We still don't have White Castle! ;)
      It's nice to have Volks chose us over NY for a change. :)

3. trust me, white castle is no replacement for volks.

oh well.

4. Hmm...doesn't seem like that to me. At least for things I have interest in. For instance, anime cons....there are NONE in NYC. Oh they tried to bring one here but I guess it didn't work cause they didn't bring it back. California, on the other hand, has tons of cool cons of all kinds (not just anime) and has the biggest anime con (AX). White Castle really isn't anything to brag about. ^^;;;

I can understand why they picked California though cause it IS much closer to Japan then NY. Plus real estate in NYC is insanely expensive...especially for a prime location in Manhatten. However, NY still has the superior transportation system...making it easier for both native city people and visitors from out of state to easily get about. They do care about this factor. Hopefully they'll consider a NY store next...

5. agreed zalem.. NY does have a few japanese stores alreayd (kinokuniya(sp), book off to name a few), and nearby edgewater NJ has a huge japanese population. And if that bloody pokemon store can survive fine, I think Volks would do well, if they found the right part of the city. But baby steps I suppose.

6. Well Volks in California would be great. I have relatives out there, and we visit them fairly often. They've always been my favorite relatives, they're SO SO SO much fun!!

And as for the east coast - west coast locations, well if the California Volks location does well, which I know it will, they *may* decide to extend a showroom to the east coast, most likely New York. I mean if the market is obviously there, it would make sense for them would it not? At this point all anyone can do is just hope, but at least there will be a US location.

7. Everybody better start saving up now! cuz you know when you go in there, there won't be any possible way, walking out empty handed :lol: I think I am going to save $$$ to the side little by little. :grin:

No.... this really can't be happening here? It's just unbelievable... Volks in Los Angeles :daisy so dazed and giddy! :wink:

8. I was only kidding about the White Castle! If I want those dang burgers, I can find them in the freezer section of any supermarket! :lol: But to be honest, I have never been to a White Castle in my life...! :wink:

I didn't realise that Anime Expo Big Apple fizzled! That's such a shame!

Actually out here in Southern California there is only large one Anime convention and one Comic convention a year. I once asked why there aren't any doll conventions and the answer I got from a prominent conventioneer was that most of the collectors live out east.
      The East Coast has a ton of conventions that are so easy for you to get to due to your superior transport system, like you said. And realestate is just as expensive out here as it is in NY.

I really think that they chose LA for the same reason that Mandarake probably originally chose it; it's easier and cheaper to get their goods here. Maybe someday they will open one out east... I really hope so...

9. Krystal pwns the heck out of White Castle anyway... XP

Heh, I dunno, I have relatives in California... Too bad LA is either an 8 or 10 hour drive, depending on which set I visit. XD

Even most Californians have no sense of scale of the state(Especially SoCalers, since they never leave it, it seems)... Worse back here, though. "Where are you from?" "California." "Oh, I bet you went to Disneyland all the time!" "..." ...Yeah, about once every five years or so. XD And I lived in the MIDDLE of the state, a couple hours east-south-east of SF, not even in proper NorCal. *snrk* Then again, I'm always shocked by how many states you can get through in a 10-hour drive back here. >_>; ...Well, unless you head west on the 40, in which case you'll just get to Memphis, TN and only hit NC and TN.

10. So true! Though it's not so much that we don't understand how far away stuff is, it's just that our definition of "close" is different.

For example, my answer to the Disneyland question is "heck yeah, it's only like three hours away!" and the phrase "Let's go to Vegas/San Fran/Sonoma" isn't like proposing an excursion of epic proportions.

Heck, around here if it only takes two hours to get someplace it's close! (without traffic of course)

11. Dood. I just realized I have relatives there.

*cackles*

12. I feel the same way. But it is a good thing they are coming to the US :grin:

13. Hey me too! I'm actually going out there Aug 20-27th(so if any of you in LA see a girl walking around with a Hugo in hand say "hi" cuz it's me :grin: ) to check out the area and see the site where my job'll transfer to. It's nice to know that there'll be a Volks store out there when I finally make the move sometime next year. Sucks cuz I have the job set up there but trying to find affordable housing is close to impossible and I've had no luck finding a suitable roommate from this end (no family at all in CA) but I could go on and on about that....

CJ

14. Volks's first overseas boutique in the "city of angels"? No doubt they'd want to keep their angels theme running. Good on them. Now, damn if anything exciting's coming to Down Under.

15. Not so!~ We had White Castles in Long Beach back in the 80's. I don't think it did too well here so they closed them all after only 2 years.(I liked them so I stil buy the frozen ones! Tee hee! I get it!)

As for Volks in LA. I am going to need a 2nd job. I for one am happy and hope they open it in Little Tokyo. I think Japan town needs a shot in the arm. I am sort of hoping it's not in Santa Monica off the promenade like where everything has opened or moved lately.

16. Zalem, AXNY was never meant to be more than a one time thing, unfortunately... :/ *kicks stupid Tatsugawa and his stupid conkilling crap*

But this is exciting.. very very exciting... Muwahaha!

17. OO *falls out of her chair*

LA? ....i've got cousins and aunts and uncles who live near LA....

...*grins* time for a liiittle family gathering!!! XDDD

*squeals and runs around her house screaming... and getting weird looks from her parents*

It'd be so cool if the shop also had FCS!!

Or if they decided to open one in Chicago here, but thaaat might be a little bit of an over shot... but, can't hurt to dream, ne? ^^

...WEEEEEEE!!! ^^

18. ok...any of you guys willing to adopt me??..er..I barely eat I promise^^

19. shadra - i think zalem is reffering to the big apple anime fest, which was supposed to be a yearkly think but got the can.

20. wow. finally a reason to go to LA.

I have a feeling, though, that they will *have* to sell other Volks things, perhaps heavily so. I simply don't see an SD salon surviving in the US quite yet! There would be a much larger market for their smaller, cheaper figures and model kits.

I hope they open not during peak travel season, because I'm not going to pay $300 to fly down there @_@ (during other times of the year it's only $150 or so.)