1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks is coming to Los Angeles, CA

May 27, 2005

1. Domuya factors in overhead for their physical shop, I think. I've only ever heard good things about them though, and by all accounts they go above and beyond in making sure you get exactly what you describe. That'd be the most important thing to me, especially considering that FCS is usually about exact customizations. :chibi

2. First, Volks isn't concerned about competing with the other toy companies in the US. The main focus of their business is in Japan and that's where they really intend to keep it at.

I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt they would do any kind of FCS, period. They can barely keep up with the orders just in Japan alone. While there is a link on the English site about ordering FCS, they have always said that option wouldn't be available. In order for them to have painting classes in the US, they would want to have painters on hand. I think, it's thinking too far ahead right now to say that they would offer any type of classes when all they have done is announce they will open a store in LA. Maybe in the future they will but *shrugs*, who knows. It certainly wouldn't be a regular thing, maybe if they have visiting artists or just recruit customizers from the surrounding LA-area.

And you're right, FCS isn't mass produced. The parts are produced the same way all of the Volks dolls are, by hand. FCS couldn't be mass produced as they are handpainting the dolls per each request. It's not the casting process that slows up the orders, it's painting them per instructions.

3. Mm.. I think they'd have maybe a limited FCS service, at least. If they're going to try and really break in the American doll market, I mean. They can do it in Seoul, so...? Anyway, we can hope. :oops:

4. I believe they will. I talked to the staff that work at Tenshi no Sato and Harajuku last week and the new SR at LA will be bigger than Harajuku(biggest SR in Japan) and smaller than Sato. One of the daughter of Shigeta(owner of Volks) will come, I believe. Now they are recruiting people to go to LA.

The Sato FCS will not be offered, but I believe that the regular one will be.

5. Thank you Arisling for that information.

If Volks wasn't interested in competing in the US Market, then why open a store in the US? And they do have their WTG and other 1/6 doll lines, which does compete with Mattel and Takara in Japan. Volks is a business and just like all businesses want to make money.

And there many artists in California and the rest of the country. Who said that Volks will only hire from Japan? And if they do have experienced artists who do come over from Japan, who says these artists won't do classes? There are plenty of talented people here in the Southern California area who would love to do this type of work.

I am sure they have done and are continuing to do a lot of planning for this, since this is a very big move. I've been collecting dolls for many years and have watched companies come and go, do well and then do terrible. I own an actual retail store (second one opened) and also have sold on Ebay for a number of years. So I have a little experience with the collectable market, especially when it comes to dolls. My Uncle worked for Mattel for a number of years as a toy developer, I know people who work in this industry. So it's not like I am just assuming things. I never stated what I said was fact, but am basing my comments on my experience and knowledge.

If Volks was only concerned about doing business in Japan, then they would not be opening a store in Calif. And I am not responding to upset anyone, but to defend my prior feelings as to what direction this new store might take. And my one feeling is that to make this big effort to enter this market, Volks will want to do something to make themselves stand out.

6. I started out customizing 1/6 dolls, particularily Volks ones. I really don't regard Volks 1/6 in the same category as Barbie dolls.

People tend to forget that Volks does thing the japanese way of doing business, NOT the western way. Just because Volks is opening a store in LA proves nothing, really. Volks has been doing business with Doll-Hobby Shoppe (the only official Volks dealer in North America) in Florida for years and the owner can tell you first hand how Volks operates. I've heard from him how they say one thing and do another thing. It took YEARS before Volks even started doing the entire preordering system with Doll-Hobby. Why is it that Volks always has enough dolls to sell to their japanese customers yet they give a preorder to Doll-Hobby and can't/won't even fulfill the entire order? This isn't just one time, it's happened for the past 3 years now when Frank takes a preorder and it's not limited to just the SDs but also the 1/6.

While Volks is all nice and trying to appear accomdating towards us international customers, I still have many doubts as to how the whole deal with opening and running a store in LA is going to work out. Seeing how they treated Doll-Hobby for the past 4 years with regards to stock (trust me, Frank never had a problem selling out on items) and even when Frank would meet with Volks in Japan yearly, I'll wait and see what happens before I put my hopes into any type of FCS at all.

7. JoAnn's right - Volks does things its own way, for its own reasons. They're not Mattel - they're still a small (albeit growing) company that specializes in models. Even their dolls aren't completely dolls - they're jointed figures, meant to be customized.

But I have also heard that they don't make enough dolls (the limited, anyway) for their Japanese customers either - there's shortages there as well.

The shops even run out of the standards from time to time. I think this may be partly that the company is having growing pains - it must be frightening to be riding the crest of the wave of a popular fad in Japan - they want to do as much as they can while they can while not flooding the market - and partly on purpose. The scarcity only increases demand.

I'm glad the US shop is opening. It's possible they'll offer some kind of FCS. I can't wait to see! I hope it's a success and that they open a boutique in Sarasota next. ^_~

8. How soon is soon?

You don't suppose they'll be here before they discontinue the current FCS heads in October?

It seems like "soon" could mean either months or years. :roll:

9. I wouldn't count on it being that soon. ^^;

10. They're discontinuing the heads in October? ;.; Oh no... Time to make money on the double! >.<!

11. I could be mistaken, but I don't think there will be any discontinued FCS heads anytime soon. They already cut off some of the heads last October.

12. I was gonna say; these heads are really new, why would they stop making them so soon? o.O;

13. That's an older post referring to last October. Thankfully (hopefully?) Volks won't discontinue FCS this coming Oct. That would be horrible (I still need my F14 girl!)

14. Ditto here! I need her like nothing else. ^.^!

15. So,
      do we know an "aprox" date or something??
      My aunt recently told me she might need to go toL.A. and asked me to go with her.
      God just hope it´s not to early

*croosing fingers &toes"

16. Volks will announce a date on their website.

17. :? :( It's still across the country! But at least that will probably mean faster shipping to US people! :lol: That's good!

18. I'm gonna be stupid and make a prediction here.... I wanna put this on record so if in the future that comes true I can call myself a prophet. XD

1. Volks will open in Little Tokyo of Los Angeles.
      2. Volks will probably choose the Mitsuwa building where the bookstore once was (on the first floor... those who been to Little Tokyo knows what I'm talking about)
      3. Volks will have a LA LE. (duh) XD

Okie. </stupidity> XD

19. And the LE won't be a new mold, just a variation of one of their previous LE's. :D
      /prediction