1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks Mini Super Dollfie discussion (old version)

Jan 4, 2005

1. I paid $400 for mine and I think a range of $400-$500 is about the going rate.

Please feel free to join the Tsubaki Club even before your little one arrives. We're always happy to answer questions and give support while you wait for your little angel. :grin:

2. Thank you very much girls ^O^

Elena

3. Nelae, I want a Tsubaki too !

PS:

Have you found a proper wig for Kotori? Next Leeke Asia preorder will be in August.

4. just a quick question
      can you buy the msd assembly kits in volks stores?
      and if they can, are they availeble in just any volks store or only in selected stores
      I'm interested in MSD Hisui(I take they are the same price as online? since this with some stores varies)
      the reason for my question is that people from my dad's work often have to go to japan for work, and if they could just buy a kit in a store it would save me heaps of money(like now I need 250 euro, if I have to add shipping and importtaxes I would have to add another 100-150 euro's)

5. That's a good idea, just make sure they have pictures of everything, what the box should look like, a note with directions, so there's no screw up. I'm not sure about Volks' return policy.

http://www.denofangels.com/sdfaq-buyingq.html#q05

Scroll down to "I'm going to Japan; where do I go to buy one?"

And someone who has had experience with the stores should be along soon for extra advice I'm sure.

6. =D I'm so glad you like my girl!

To fourth everyone, yes, it is an Enn head. XD; 1st season with the default face-paint. Enn is oldskin, so if you are very concerned with resin match, you'll want to get a volks oldskin body. I went for the easy poseability and bought a pureskin body instead, which is a decent match (if you don't go mad and blush her all pink like I did T_T). Also, my girl is sanded quite a bit. Her eyewells are deeper and her cheeks have been greatly sanded now. Just a point to keep in mind if you want to try for something similar! Good luck!

7. I know that the limited release of Toppi came with 16mm eyes, so I was surprised to find out that my One-Off Toppi had 18mm eyes. They do fit in the eyewells, but they make her look very young. My ultimate goal is to get he same color Zouks (#20) in 16mm. But I was surprised just how much smaller the 16mm eye was that I tried on. Granted, it isn't seated very well, but it makes her look qite a bit older, and not quite as sweet. I think I still will decide on the 16mm, but thought I would post the picture to show the difference and get some opinions. I should note that in RL, both irises look bigger (it is hard to see the whites in the 18mm)

Even though they are different colors, it is interesting to see the difference in quality between the Zouks and Volks HG eyes. I wish Volks still sold Zouks seperately!

[​IMG]

8. i like the smaller eye, just for the more realistic look. but the bigger eye makes the doll look younger and fits the chibi style of the head. so it really depends on the look you're aiming for n_n

9. Yes, I tend to like the more realistic look in general. But I'm definitely keeping the 18mm until I can get the same eyes in a smaller size... Zouks are too pretty.

10. I actually really like Toppi in 14mm eyes. ^^
      She looks older and mature -- with this quiet air about her.

11. I didn't even try 14mm becaise I didn't think they would fit. I will have to try, though I think the iris will be smaller than I would like.

12. Hiiiii there. :)

I seem to be having a bit of an odd circumstance with my newest addition. She's a SweetDream Mika that has a horrible case of what looks like osteoporosis. You see, her back will bend forward, almost completely in two. She's the only Volks MSD I own, but I currently have possession of a friend's boy MSD, who I've noticed has a resin piecein his lower torso that extends up into the upper torso so that he doesn't bend like that.

That being said, my girls' body does have a piece similar - it just doesn't stick up to prevent that movement. Nothing seems broken at all, or out of place. So I'm wondering if those of you more knowledgeable than me can help me out. Has she been put together improperly? Was this how all SwD Mikas were constructed? Here are some photos for you to illustrate my point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for all your help!

13. ohhh, if that's what you're talking about, that's perfectly normal. :) Some were just constructed that way. Just pull up on her strings and knot them a little lower, so there's enough tension to force her to sit upright.

14. Ohhhh good good! She holds poses just fine, but getting her into them proves to be a little weird when she starts to bend like that. I was worried that maybe that piece was deformed or broken in some way.

Thanks so much for letting me know!! :)

15. She looks the same as my Pureskin Mika ^ ^ I think it's just the stringing, like Lelei mentioned. Also, it looks like she's got some hot glue on the inside of her torso which the previous owner probably put in there so her torso piece wouldn't slide as much. But since I don't see any shaving or modification to the shape of her lower piece, I'd say she's just strung really loose. Come to think of it, the first time I strung Cassis she was really loose, and her torso used to flip around too, causing painful pinches for me >_o;; Good luck!

16. Well, hooray! I'm glad it's nothing to worry about then. :) Actually, I put that hotglue there, for exactly that reason. She's not floppy at all anymore, just bendy. XD

Thanks so much for your input!

17. I just got my first doll today! :D She's an adorable Mika MSD, but has some minor problems that I assume come with me being the fourth owner. I hesitate to even say problems because it's not like she's defective, just things that need to be changed that I'm unsure of how to go about since this is my first doll. First, her stringing seems a bit off in her legs. She sits fine, but her legs don't want to stay straight. Given the chance they'll bend up in unnatural positions and prevent her from standing. She sits pretty well, although her head wants to look slightly down. I think she may be strung just a bit too tightly, but I'm not sure. If this were the case, could I just loosen the knot just a little bit?

Next, her headcap is kinda loose. It doesn't quite fit flush against her head. Is this normal? It doesn't fall off, it just seems to want to come off.

Her wig is not really tangly, but it's frizzy. What would be the best way to try to take care of it, if there's anything that can be done? The tag says 100% modacrylic fiber.

not really a problem, but there seems to be old glue from where she had eyelashes built up around her eyes on the inside. is there a good way to clean it up without scratching her or ruining her faceup, or would I be better off just leaving it alone?

Finally she is supposedly an LE from a dolpa. The box she came in was a Mika box that had a label on it that said Doll Party either 6 or 8. her headplate says SD and has 03,02/FGI written on it. Even if she's not LE, that's fine, it's not the reason I got her anyways, and she no longer has her origininal cloths or wig anyways, and I highly douby she has her original eyes or faceup. Mostly I'm stating this because I'm hoping someone can help me figure out about how old she is, etc.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I currently don't have a digital camera, I'll have to try to borrow one from someone, and I lost my cell phone so I can't even post crappy cell phone pics! :( If I can get a hold of a camera, I'll post some pics at some point.

Thanks for reading my long post, any suggestions are greatly apreciated!

18. Congratulations on getting your first doll :aheartbea

Your girl is most likely this one, Volks doesn't list an exact date but she's either 3 or 4 years old, she has quite a history already! This means she is oldskin, and her body will have different quirks than Pureskin ones. I unfortunately only own a Pureskin MSD so I can't help you with posing problems, but I know there are other owners on this board who can answer with some tips :daisy

19. I had a wonderfully long and detailed reply written up for you, and DoA ate it. So here we go again but less long and detailed. :|

It definately sounds like you have the oldskin limited girl, and judging by her headcap, she was cast in Feb '03. :)

It also sounds like she's too loose rather than too tight. I've got two oldskin MSD kids and the only time I've ever had standing issues was when they were too loose. I've got them strung so tight that I've only got about half an inch of give when I pull out a foot and both stand like a dream. MSDs don't have kicky leg issues like some other companies so pull out as much of that elastic as you can for the best posing. Sueding helps immensely too if you still have floppy ankle issues. Tightening the strings should help with her head issues as well. If she persists in only looking down, a little bit of suede in her neck joint should help.

I'm not sure if the LE Mika has the peg system like the other oldskin MSDs or the loop and elastic system, but a strip of masking tape or some eye putty in the crack will help keep it from flopping around.

For the wig, I'd wash it in your people shampoo and conditioner, leaving a bit of the conditioner in afterwards. I only use people products on my wigs and have never had a problem with them. I also hear the Volks hair oil works miracles, but I've never tried it.

Volks holds their eyes in with hot glue, so I'm thinking this may be the residue you are seeing. You can try and pry it out with a blunt object and a pair of pliers, but if it doesn't inhibit eye positioning and changing, it won't hurt the doll to leave it. White glue used to hold in eyelashes can be removed with a little bit of warm water and a very gentle swap with a q-tip.

I think that's everything. Congrats on your new girl! Mikas are so sweet, and I can't wait to see pictures of yours! :love

20. Thanks for the suggestions!

Usagi665, I'm pretty sure that's her! I don't have the box in front of me, but when I post a pic of the doll, I'll post one of the box too. I think that's the same pic as on the box. Like I said though, I'm the 4th owner, so who knows if it's a regular Mika that got put into a LE box to try to increase her price. Even if that were the case, I know that the person who sold me the doll wouldn't have been the one to do it. I got the doll more or less the same way she did.

The joints pulled in such a way that I thought they were being forced to bend from the tightness, but later in the day I got to thinking maybe it was too loose. It's hard for me to decide on my own since like I said this is my first doll. If for some reason it is a case of her being too tight, I'll have to get another string for her anyways, there's no extra room on the one she has. I'll try tightening the strings tonight and see if that helps. Sueding definitely sounds like a good idea for her regardless though. If she does need to be restrung, do I need to get special string, or can I just get some from the hardware store that looks the same as her old string?

I'll try my shampoo and if that doesn't work I'll get wig shampoo tomorrow at the store. I'm assuming that's where I would get the wig brush too? Worse case scenario, she'll still be getting a new wig in a week or so.

Some of the goopiness around the eyes was just eye putty, which I cleaned pretty easily. The other stuff is yellowish. You can't see it from the outside of the doll, but it's just one of those minor things that bugs me, even though it shouldn't. I figure even if I do manage to mess up her faceup with a q-tip, I was planning on getting her a new faceup anyways, I just have to find someone who works in the style I like. I've found some that are pretty close, but I haven't gotten very far into that board yet. I also want to find someone to sand the seams and do a body blushing for me. I know seams don't bother most people, and hers aren't that bad at all, but like I said, I can be kinda wierd about those kinds of things some times.

Another question, is pureskin considered better than oldskin? Or is it just used more as a way to date the doll and resin? I honestly can't tell the difference from the photos I've seen, but I think I read somewhere that the body is a bit different, so is it just a personal preference?

Thanks again for all the help!