1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks pureskin SD, SD13 leg break

Jan 12, 2006

1. I sent an email to volks usa requesting a replacement part. They never asked for proof of ownership, I just told them I'd purchased the doll off the website a few months ago. (Which was all true but I bought off the international site so they didn't have records of me for the US site). Volks asked me to send a picture of the break (which I did). Afterwards they had me send in the broken piece and they sent back the new piece and charged me for the leg plus shipping. It was pretty easy.

To prevent it, I ended up sanding down the inner/lower leg pieces so the balls weren't as big, sanded off part of the teeth on the back (so they didn't lock as easily), and used epoxy to thicken the upper part of the leg/joint (on the inside so you couldn't see it).

2. Do you have their contact email? I can't find one @_@ I am probably just stupid today from a lot of RL stress & Saki's thigh cracking.

It's so ridiculous, for three years now people have complained about this thigh joint, and they haven't fixed it still?? It's selling a product THEY know is faulty. So.. wrong... I love Volks, I love the weight, the aesthetic of many of them too... but I do not like that they'd let this continue.

3. It should be on the website: volksusa.com
      let me see if I can find it: [email protected]
      sometimes it can take a few days to hear back from them so don't panic if they don't respond right away

4. Oh this is very useful to know. Considering Megu is on my wishlist.

5. Just curious, is this still a problem? Are people with new SD10 girls having the breakage issue?

6. I've got an SD10 pureskin, new knees body that I purchased here second hand. I believe she is maybe 2 or 3 years old, and I don't see any cracks, and she doesn't have any chipping. I did sand down the locking teeth in her knees a little once I got her, more for my own aesthetic preferences than to prevent cracking. I am quite gentle with her compared to my other dolls, but I by no means handle her like glass. So far, so good!

I have a friend with a Suiseiseki on the original body, and I did notice that her knees were significantly easier to bend than the previous Pureskin SD10 dolls I have handled. I don't know if this was a fluke, or if they had addressed the issue at that time.

Hope that helps!

7. Thanks Vulpes. I also have an SD pureskin Megu from 2005 and never had a problem with her knees so I was surprised to come across this thread. I really hope they have addressed the problem though as I'd hate to get a new SD and have her/his knee crack.

8. I've had a problem with those first style knees, and I think that a lot of the problem had to do with the ball being a bit bigger then the socket. It felt like whenever the leg moved forward and backward it pushed the socket out a bit.

That and if it was accidentally moved left or right you were hosed. I think that if it's a newer body than it's fine. Those first ones just did not feel stable to me. : /

9. Reporting back... The headcont has incresed a bit since the las time.

I have five Volks girls:
      1 SD13 from 2004 - SD13 Cyndy I
      3 SD swarrico bodies from 2005 - SD Liz , from 2007 - SD Kurumi, and from 2008 - SD Miruku
      1 SD from May 2007 - SD Suseiseki

The girls are very played with. I have not have any problem with cracks or breakages whatsover.

10. I'm with Quiet Queen--I've never experienced any breakage problem with my SD10 or SD13 girls, and they are definitely not cabinet babies. ;)

1999 SD10 B-02
      2002 SD10 B-02
      2002 SD10 regular
      2003 SD13
      2005 SD13
      2005 SD10 suwarriko
      2007 SD10 suwarriko

11. Ack! That happened to me too (My SD10 Girl Pure skin)!

Unfortunately Volks USA doesn't have replacements for the pure skin dolls only a few for the old ones ( I emailed them about the problem...)

12. Did this just happen to you? How old is your doll? I'm curious because I have a Megu from 2003, (I got her in '04 but she was cast in '03), and this hasn't happened to her, but I'm nervous it will.

13. Reporting back again....

I have six Volks girls:
      1 SD13 oldskin body (of unknown origin, but before 2003 anyway)
      1 SD13 from 2004 (SD13 Cyndy I)
      3 SD swarrico bodies from 2005 (SD Liz), 2007 (SD Kurumi) and 2008 (SD Miruku)
      1 SD from May 2007 (SD Suseiseki)

The girls are very played with. Actually I thought about this yesterday, when I changed my girls' outfits and their legs flail about all over the place... And I have still not have any problem with cracks or breakages whatsoever.

14. To bump an old, old thread... I was restringing my new girl who just arrived two days ago, and this happened. ;_; It's just a little tiny hairline crack, but I'm scared it'll get worse. I emailed Volks USA and left them a phone message, hopefully I can get a replacement part.

1. Whether or not they're the doll's original owner:
      I am not. She was bought on DOA and has had two ownwers before me.

2. How they typically handle the doll (pick it up and support its legs or not?)
      I carry her like a baby, supporting the legs and head.

3. What pose is the doll normally in while not being played with:
      Sitting, but she's always had trouble laying that leg flat.

4. What tension the stringing has:

Very, very loose. When I tightened it just a little bit, I noticed the crack. But I think that's more because of having the leg kicking around while I was trying to pull the strings, really.

5. If the doll is/has worn restricting pants or boots that could have contributed:
      I keep her in dresses, no idea what the previous owners did.

6. If it's a standard, FCS, or limited (like the SD13 FCS boy's woowoo being crooked, this might be something that only happens with a certain type of doll for some reason)???
      She has a Cyndy head, I have no idea what doll the body came from-- It has the standard H-01 hands and the old knees, so I think she either came from a 2003-2004 limited or an old knees Four Sisters.

7. Tell the number on the inside of the head so people can get an idea of when the doll was made and maybe pinpoint a certain bad batch that came out.
      Her head is from 2004, according to the number, and I'm thinking the body is from 2003-2004, as I stated above-- So the body must be 6-7 years old. I think this is more age-related, more than anything.

15. An update on my own situation, for the reference of future readers to this thread:

It seems that Volks doesn't produce "old knees" parts anymore. However, they offered to ge some new knees legs made for me, for $141.

I took them up on the offer, and am now waiting for the parts to be made. They said that it would take about as long as an FCS order does (2-3 months).

I'm disappointed that I won't have her "original" parts anymore, but then again, she'll be able to sit and stand a lot better now, with the new legs. The old knees legs were, truthfully, a nightmare to deal with.

I plan on adding apoxy to the new sockets, and sanding down the ball quite a bit, so that this never happens to her again. I'll be sure to post pictures of that process once I have the parts in hand.

16. Reporting back again....

I have seven Volks girls:
      1 SD13 oldskin body (of unknown origin, probably around 2003)
      2 SD13 from 2004 (SD13 Cyndy I), and 2011 (SD13 Rinon)
      3 SD swarrico bodies from 2005 (SD Liz), 2007 (SD Kurumi) and 2008 (SD Miruku)
      1 SD from May 2007 (SD Suseiseki)

The girls are very much played with. When I pick then up I carry them around the waist or pelvis, usually. When I change their attire they flail around wildly. I strongly suspect that if they were inclined to develop knee cracks, they would have by now.

I think that this isn't due to a batch resin or a specific doll body. I would guess that it's some other factor at work.

17. That's really wonderful to hear, Quiet Queen! :D That gives me a lot of hope that this thing won't happen again to Maria...

A question: Didn't Suiseiseki come with KIPS? Can you tell me if your girl has any in her knees?

I'm wondering if it'll be safe to give Maria KIPS, once I get the aforementioned mods done...

18. Actually I don't remember if Suiseiseki came with kips or not, but all my dolls are kipsed. They have been for years.

So kips away!

19. An update on the case: Maria's new legs arrived a week or so ago, and I sanded down the balls of her knees and the locking-teeth, similar to what Haibane did earlier in the thread. No complaints, save there being an ugly pair of gaps visible in the back (I may post pictures soon). The tension put on the sockets seems one hell of a lot less precarious, now, and she actually moves and poses so much easier, now. I might work a bit on the sanding a little more this afternoon, if just to smooth things out a little.

I did just buy an oldskin body, for another girl of mine... How nice it'll be, to dress and play with my girls with no fear of their knees breaking off!