1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks School Head C

Oct 23, 2006

1. Just as an additional note, getting into the painting classes is decided by a lottery which you have to apply for well in advance before the day the classes are actually held. For Sato classes the applications are by email; for Dolpa classes the applications are by fax. (Or they were last year when I was living in Japan.) Numbers are hugely limited so it's quite difficult to get a place. In addition, the classes are taught entirely in Japanese and last I heard they don't tend to let non-Japanese speakers take part. :sweat

I took part in one of the classes at Sato last year and really enjoyed it. (Yes, I speak Japanese.) I did a 'blushing' class and they were very informative and helpful with teaching you just how to do it and what worked best for boys and girls heads and the like. They didn't offer C at that time, though; C head was first offered at Dolpa 14 that December, which was after I took classes.

For the record, the price of any of the school heads directly from Volks is 15,540yen. The market value of them is always a considerable markup on that due to their limited availability versus their popularity.

2. Ok, I have looking for a School C head. I have only seen one on EBay from Evenstar and they don't have them on the Volks USA site or Volks International. I see them all the time on Y!J but the problem is that it always says, "This seller will not ship internationally."

Is there anyway to buy from America? Also, is there anyway that one could be picked up on a trip to Japan?

3. I think the easiest way to get a school head C is to wait and get one from someone on DoA. Y!j also is a good idea but the only way to get one is from a shopping service like http://www.crescent-shop.com/ , http://www.rinkya.com/, ect.
      The problem with those is that they charge you for their services. I don't know how much because i haven't looked into them much.

4. They are one of the heads offered for sale to people who attend Volks painting classes which is why they are called School Heads. They hold painting classes at Dolpas in Japan but I don't know if they'll be doing that here. I think you might be able to by them at the Tenshi no Sato in Kyoto but I'm not 100% sure about that. I bought mine second hand in the DoA marketplace.:)

5. Wow, thanks idrisfynn. I didn't know that! That makes sense. ^^

Why I am asking is because a professer of mine is going to Japan in a couple of months and she said she would pick me up anything if I gave her the money. So I thought if they could be purchased at the Volks shop in Kyoto that I would give her $500 dollars or so and I have her buy it for me.

6. School C is only available at Dolpa painting classes, not at Sumika/Sato ones, and the head only costs about $150 from Volks as far as I know, so $500 would be a bit much ;)

7. You can definitely pick one up on Y!J for less than $500, and that's with fees and postage.

Good luck! It's such a sweet looking head. Everyone should have a School C. ^^

8. I was so glad that you came to my thread krambear! I love your school C girl! She was one of the girls that made me want to get a school C head! What body do you have her on?

9. Aw, thanks :D Anissa is happy to hear that!

Right now I have her on a Volks SD10 body, but she also fits the SD13 girl body. Are you making yours a girl or boy?

10. She's going to be a girl. Right now, I have a doll for this character but her whole look is wrong. ^^; So I am getting her a new SD13 girl Volks body.

11. Just to clarify, most (not all) people using traditional Volks icons color them to indicate the size and/or gender.

Grey = FCS, School, anything without an assigned gender by default
      White = asexual angel (any size)
      Orange = MSD girl
      Green = MSD boy
      Light blue = SD10 boy
      Light pink = SD10 girl
      Blue = SD13 boy
      Pink/mauve = SD13 girl

YoSD, SDC and SD16 are sizes that no one can seem to agree on color-wise since they were made long after the original Volks icon makers debuted their site that the creators no longer maintain it.

Some people, like me, prefer to give their FCS/School heads colors since grey isn't very descriptive, and because my F-15 is always mistaken for a girl ;) And some others tweak the colors to be slightly different tints, but still recognizable as a certain size and/or gender.

12. is school C a pureskin or old skin?

13. Pureskin, and UV Protected as far as I know, the head debuted winter 2005.

14. usagi665 you just have so much information. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

15. Ok pricing question, first of all, I signed up for Rinkya and basically how they work is you put in a deposit so you can bid (like $10 if you want to bid to $100, $20 for $200 ect.) and then there's a $7 comission fee for every $100 USD you spend.

And I seen School C heads going from 25,000 yen to 86, 000 ($250 to $760) on Y!J.

So you do think $643.50 would be a good amount to save? (That includes the Rinkya's fees, deposit, shipping, and of course the head.)

16. I think you would be much better off just waiting for someone on DoA to sell the head, $643 is way too much to spend on it :sweat

17. What would be a realistic amount to pay?

18. Wow, that was so informative! :D :D :D Thanks! I'm so envious of your knowledge, Usagi ^____^ I wish I knew as much about Volks as you do!

19. If you're set on using an auction deputy service, I wouldn't recommend Rinkya AT ALL! They're horribly overpriced -- I'd even go so far as to call them a rip-off.

First of all, $7 per $100 spent is for CELS (like from anime!) only, not dolls, sadly.

Dolls is $15 base fee + $1 per $10 spent.

Then they charge you other crazy fees on top of that...

If you're set on using a deputy service, I would highly recommend Crescent Shop. You have real-time bidding, your commission fee is 12.5% OR LESS. They're really friendly and quick (even if their English isn't perfect), and their system is set up very well -- everything is organized and you can follow the progress of your purchase as it's received, inspected, and mailed out to you. I've used them several times and never run into a problem with them. In fact I used them last January on a Pullip doll that I've been wanting forever, snagged her for about 2/3s of what she sells for in the US -- and that was after fees, in-Japan shipping, and Japan-to-me shipping.

20. Wow, I kept that in mind, thank you, Cauldroness.