1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks SD13 Four Sisters no longer standard - what will take their place?

Jan 10, 2006

1. I have a feeling that more realistic heads are becoming more popular, and that's where they're headed. I think a lot of people prefer other companies female dolls to Volks--there is tremendous choice now and Volks is going to have to change to keep up. Their guys have generally looked more "real" than the girls. To me the standard SD13 girls are too blank and passive-not much umph or personality to them. Way too anime-ish.

There are a lot of us that prefer Ryung, Sooah, and Narae--very beautiful more mature girls that are quite versatile--they can all look anywhere from 14 up to 20 something. (Some people just do not like anime features at all--especially in an expensive doll). I just don't see any of the Volks girls with that capability. I suspect that their sales of girls may have declined-or they would be keeping them. The main reason something is done away with is because it just isn't selling.

Anyhow--someone has to match up with Mr. Yukinojo and they really need to come out with a mature female doll that is as beautiful as he is. They need a doll like this in their line to compete with all the new companies.

A lot more people have started collecting BJD's in the past 2 years as the range of products has grown to include very beautiful realistic looking dolls. I know I never would have gotten into them if they had remained as an offshoot of the anime world.

2. Maybe they will restock SD13 4 sisiters later....... =_=

I am not very concerned about SD13 dolls....I prefer girl dolls in the height of 57cm from other companies, such as LUTS.

I like SD10 4 sisters, but thier new body version is 55cm in height.....This disappointed me.... For SD10, I hope they can release a standard Mika >_<
      That's my dream. X3

3. IMHO, i always felt like Yori and Cyndy looked more like an SD13 four-sister than the original four-sister SD13~!

I do miss Nono13 though!

My bet is that they won't take a previously released doll and make it standard... my guess is that they'll make a totally new doll as a standard (like they did with L ink and Yori...)

4. Here Here...I totally agree. I think they will move to a more mature girl to compliment the SD16 boy.
      You know what might be nice?
      If they relesed Tiny tines! You know, smaller then the Yo's or Sei's. Little pocket volk's dolls. Oooooo..the chibi cuteness is taking over my soul!!!

5. I wish they'd bring the SD 13 4 sisters back in pureskin - SD 13 Megu was one of the first dolls I loved! I don't like any of the new standard releases anywhere near as much.

I'm one of those who prefer the more anime heads, so while all this realism is a lot easier on my wallet, I hope they're not completely abandoning us.

I would like to see some more emphasis placed on standard releases rather than this seemingly unending procession of limited dolls. There's just something nice about knowing you can order a doll you like when you're ready to, not in the 30 seconds it might be available to you!

Marcia.

6. I wish they had standard versions of all/most their limiteds... Really it'd make sense, as thats what other companies do like dollmore, luts, and DoD, and a ton of others. They make a limited to launch/get the standard version noticed.. then have it as a standard version.

But, Volks is eeeeebil...
      *likes all their limiteds though so cant pick one* ;.;

Also, what always bothered me... Mimi is advertised as being pure skin on the SD page's banner... But she isnt available for sale? >.<
      *wants Rio as well*

7. I totally agree with you. Especially being that I'm 15 and it'll be three years before I'll be 'ready' >.<
      But standard versions of all their dolls would be nice especially from the Tokyo boys story, imagine how many people that would make happy.
      *cries* Jun... ;.;

8. All of Volks's current releases are pureskin. ^^;

9. I hope they make more new standard boys. I love FCS but it'd just be a bit easier on my bank account to get standards :s

10. Seconded, they'll say either "pureskin" or "new body version" - they are both.

Heather, if Mimi is "not for sale" right now that simply means she's currently out of stock. Even standards go out of stock but they will, eventually, be re-stocked unless like in the case of SD13 Nono and the four sisters it says "Sold Out."

11. I agree. It kind of irks me that volks spends so much time and effort on dolls that are unobtainable for most people and puts out it's standards as what seems like an afterthought. I understand having some limited headmolds is fine and cool, but it seems like ALL of volks's popular molds are limited. I'd think they'd make more money if they released more standard dolls.....I don't know why they don't.

12. I think it's a mistake to think of Volks as a company that is primarily profit-based rather than a company that is art-based. Like Araki-sensei, they're doing this because they love the process of making dolls. (Note: I am NOT saying that money is incidental to them, just that it's not a factor of primary importance.) For a creative company - whose very motto is "We seek creativity" - making those limited dolls would be where most of the excitement and discovery is based.

They're not really taking demand or secondary market into account; not out of purposeful neglectfulness, I think, but more an inexperience of how the overall doll collector's market works.

13. Right now all we do is just hope and wish.

We will never now what Volks is up to till the next Dolpa.

Silly sounding as it may seem but, making much molds limited and all makes the chase for them... hard but fruitful IMO. ^^;

Besides... I don't think Volks would be heartless and not heed or find a way to keep us all happy right?

*is also resisting to get a Sd13 4 sisters...*

14. puu! yes!! <3 Cyndy!!!! That'd be so nifty!

15. In my own opinion, the original SD13 four-sisters head just didn't seem to click with their SD10 selves. I just couldn't see them growing up to look so drastically different. I'm not saying the SD13 four-sisters headmold is bad or anything, it's just that in my own mind it just didn't click.

I think that Volks finally hit the nail on the head when they released Yori, who I think is the perfect older four-sister. Her head is so similar in many ways (right down to having teeth), and yet more mature and grown up. It would have been nice if they had released her as the new SD13 four-sisters, but maybe they thought that once was enough.

But don't despair! Like others have said, maybe they will release pureskin versions of them at an upcoming Dolpa. And usually you can find a few of their heads floating around on the Yahoo Japan Auctions. Or you could order a doll with that head through FCS and have your own special SD13 four-sister! :daisy

16. Oh, i wasn't saying Volks was heartless or anything, and i do love looking at the limited edition dolls and i think they're really beautiful. But i just wish they'd put as much attention into their standard releases. I love volks, i think they're a great company and really accomodating to their customers. I'd just like to see some more standards, both with anime-esque faces and realistic faces. I didn't mean to sound so grumpy. :)

17. LOL!! Money is always the bottom line in any business--otherwise you're just not in business anymore. I don't intend to offend anyone, but rather to educate--wake some of you up a little bit. You are very naive yet to believe that art is their major driving force. Art, marketing and watching the bottom line are all pretty darn equally important in any business.

It's nice to believe that Volks is some magical company with a magnanimous heart. I'm sure they're great, but that's not what bought the Volks Mansion :)

By the way--have you ever been in business? Aahh...I didn't think so...

18. I forgot to address the secondary market. Now, why would Volks be interested in that--they don't really profit from it--the resale of one of their dolls? I don't understand the logic in this reasoning. Can you clarify for me?

19. I mean no offense, but how much do you know about Volks? I don't have time for a lengthy reply otherwise I'd dredge up a history lesson, but in brief, Volks is vehemently anti-scalper.

20. No one is disputing that Volks is a business just like any other but that's very presumptuous for you to assume other people wouldn't understand business ethics, especially the delicate art of balancing international business markets. Furthermore, as someone who IS in business managment for an international firm and having grown up in a very Asian-business ethic environment, I can tell you personally there is a vast difference in how each culture views transactions and the like.