1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks SD13 Four Sisters no longer standard - what will take their place?

Jan 10, 2006

1. Here she is!!

[​IMG]

Isn't she lovely?? And that wig... :D

2. :o She's gorgeous! :D

3. Hello there,

Volks will always do what is best for Volks, like any good company would do. And I guess the SD13 is available in FCS as was already pointed out, so those who really want her can still get her.

What Volks company says about creating beauty is true, and many people like their dolls. Beauty is always a subjective matter, though, isn't it? I think Elfdoll-Rainy Doll, CP Luts, Narindoll, DIM, Dream of Doll, Souldoll, Dollmore and Narsha Doll as well as many others just starting out really do consider what they do as art too, and strive for beautiful dolls. Perhaps they also put beauty first--I think they might--it seems that way to me when I read about all of the different dolls.

Volks also plays up the pomp and ceremony and creates an almost cult-like aspect to owning one of their dolls--that it should become like an adopted child. This may be the reason why so many of the dolls are very child-like in appearance, and why they are so loved. I think this is very sweet and touching. I know how important it is to feel like the product you produce is special.

I think the new version of the SD13's or SD16 girls are something to really look forward to. It may be that Volks has felt the pinch from all of these new doll companies. As each new company comes out with fabulous dolls, their market share is chipped away. There are only so many BJD buyers out there. They were the only ones for a while, but the Korean companies are really coming on strong and have created some of the most beautiful female dolls I've ever seen.

Good night :)

4. This has been said a million times already, but Volks has pretty much no need for the Western BJD market-- they can barely handle Japan as it is. While there has been an influx of Korean makers lately, I doubt they're feeling any pinch.. we are NOT their core target and SDs are still the rulers of the pack in Japan.

5. Well said, Krambear. Plus if you look on Y!J you'll notice that most of the auctions are still for Japanese dolls, there really doesn't seem to be a great interest in Korean ones.

6. Eee, that first picture of her is uber cute! Like a grown up Gyuxa girl. ^_^

Bringing this post back to the beginning thoughts; I hope that they get more SD13 standards in. Yori is lovely, and so is Mimi, but I wouldn't mind some new girls to oogle and save my money up for. Maybe a mix between Shinku, Jun, and SD Mika? Please, Volks? :D

7. Please calm down LisaMarie. And let us all stick to the topic of BJD. This is not a board about fashion dolls, so that is OT I'm afraid.

I removed several posts, but I still hope to keep this thread unlocked. Please move on everyone.

8. Uhhh...Krambear...I am their target--I just bought a SD16, because I like him--he's a real hot doll.

Please don't tell me I am not their target, that's rather rude, (and how would you know anyway--you don't know me). I also mentioned in a previous post that I hope to get an Emma if I possibly can--for the same reason--I like her.

I think Volks is trying to have something for everyone.

9. I will say it again-- you are not their target. I am not their target. The Western BJD collecting world is one they can exist without. They do not need us. They did not make an SD16 because they wanted to make inroads into the Western fandom, just as they did not discontinue the SD13 Four Sisters head because certain foreign collectors might have found it unrealistic and too anime like. They don't have separate standards for what they sell the Japanese and what they sell the rest of us. We get what they get-- it has nothing to do with what we like/want.

No, I don't know you, but I -do- know the history of Volks fairly well, having been a fan for a number of years now. You don't seem to be as familiar with their practices, so it might help to read up a bit?

10. Could we please stop the silly fighting and button-pushing? I'm seeing way too much assumption going on, back and forth. I thought this thread was for discussion of reactions to the discontinuation of the 4 sisters head molds.

Though I generally prefer the more realistic Volks girl head molds, I do like the look of SD13 Megu. I'd trade our Yori's head for hers, personally. :)

11. it doesnt matter, really. How can we know if Volks meant to make SD16 appeal to fashion doll collectors or not? IMHO, He's just a more -mature- ABJD. He doesn't look at all like a male fashion doll to me, but each to their own. He's certainly no Gene Marshall's Trent. (this is not meant as a disparaging comment towards Trent, I think Trent is a beautiful and unique doll.) The only thing we know for sure is that SD16 is a striking ABJD...

none of us could possibly be specifically their target. I'm sure, like any other person making doll, they are thinking "hey, I think this would make an awesome doll, and I think people will like it".

Anyway, can we please get back on topic? ^_^...

12. I'm not going to comment on business practises or the like, because I'm not well informed enough to do so. I just wanted to say - nine times out of ten, I get more out of buying a non-limited and modding it than buying something rarer. I love Volks standards. My next two purchases will be a SD13 Link, and an SD13 Syo, because I think they're wonderful, wonderful heads. I also think this of the SD13 sister head - it makes a gorgeous boy OR girl (have you seen the boy in the last Volks book?) and I hope, one day, they're brought back as pureskin. (I also want Nono back as a SD13 standard - the doll world isn't right without all of the versions of Nono!)

13. Ack! that reminds me!! I want a SD13 four sister boy!

.....and a random thought I had was....what if they rereleased the SD13 four sister head as a new sd13 boy?? That be great!!! (I'd save a bunch of money cuz I wouldn't have to do fcs:vein )

14. I have to say the original sister heads, both 10 and 13 are extremely popular in Japan. Especially Megu 10 and Kira 13. I know personally many SD collectors started with them and I just don't understand why some people fail to understand that, regardless of the popularity of the later SD anime-styled heads, the first scuplts are always, the most stunning and popular Volks have ever created.

15. Just thought I'd add.. if you look at the Japanese website and the listings for SD13, it says that they have stopped production of the SD13 standard models (that is, the ones that have not been 'renewed' to pure skin) as of October 22nd, 2004. This goes across the board -- production of all 'old cast' (old resin) dolls and optional parts was stopped as of that date. (For those who remember, that's the day before 2004's SD Fair where they released the new 'pure skin' FCS into all the Tenshi no Sumikas and also released Link, Yori and Kun as regular models.)
      While some stores still have stock of the old release dolls, and the old release optional parts, it differs per store and once they sell out they do not get any more stock. I remember the Shinjuku Sumika having a few bodies, legs, arms and heads leftover in February last year, but by September last year they were all gone. (From memory, the store with the biggest leftover stock of old resin optional parts at the moment is Akihabara.)

Volks were fairly regularly releasing the 'upgraded' versions of their old resin dolls at each Dolpa for quite awhile, but I think they got a bit distracted with tying up the Tokyo Shounen storyline and with their new SD16 so I guess that's why they haven't rereleased any of the standards in pureskin for a little while now. I'm hoping that the remaining old standards -- SD13 four sisters, SD13 Nono, SD Kira, and SD Rio -- will make it to pureskin soon!

But I don't think there's any doubt as to the popularity of the standard releases -- they go out of stock at the local Sumikas all the time! Ginza did a big announcement recently when they were so proud to finally have gotten all the standards back in stock as it was a big accomplishment. ^_~ And I remember trying to get a Shou for someone last year and having to get the poor boy shipped in from Hiroshima as that was the closest store that still had one available!

16. That was our Syo! :grin: Whose birthday is a week from tomorrow. Thank you, Aunt Cassiel!

I adore the SD13 Syo sculpt; to me, he looks like an older brother to the SD 4 sisters.

So perhaps, given this tidbit of information, they really do intend to release the SD13 four sisters in pureskin. Thanks to everyone for the info on how popular they are in Japan; I had no idea.

17. Eeee! My little Shouta is getting all grown up!! *sniffles* And I remember when he was such a wee lil thing.. *dabs eyes with hanky* ;)
      (And eek, I had forgotten he practically shares his birthday with me! Woohoo!)

Yeah, that's one of the things I love about him, too. It even says in the first Perfect Catalogue that he is similar to the 4 sisters head. I also find he's just as versatile as the 4 sisters, which to me is hands down one of the most versatile of Volks' heads.. it can do so many different looks really well, from sweet and innocent to sulky and bratty to downright evil and look totally natural at all of them. And Syo is the same. ^o^

(And while I still really like the SD13 4 sisters head, I always felt they lost a bit of that versatility.. but I think Yori really has it. ^_^v)

18. Yay! Its back on topic, thank you Fyredancer, Cassiel and everyone else!

I have wished that Volks made more standard dolls, but the ones that they do have are favorites of mine. Such as the SD10 Four Sisters head, they were my first BJD love, and one even became my first BJD. Syo, my second doll, is such a little heartthrob! I'm smitten with him. I don't have Link or Yori, but they are very lovely too ( and let's not forget about all the other standard lovlies too!). I hope the new standard releases are completely new dolls, thus expanding the Volks family.

Sera

19. I totally forgot about Yori. I've seen some amazing ones. <3

20. That's sad, i found them versatile molds....
      I dunno what is comming next, but it is very exciting! Maybe it is them... amybe they are waiting longer ^___^