1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks SD16 girl "Olivia Morgan" Discussion thread

Jun 26, 2006

1. From what I've seen from examining the pictures, she does have at least one abdominal joint, just under her breasts along the edge of her ribcage.
      She really doesn't seem to have ankle joints at all. It reminds me of some Gentarou Araki dolls I've seen who also wore high-heels.
      I get this feeling that while Yukinojou was designed with a complex joint system, they tried to streamline Olivia's body to be more feminine by simplifying the joint system. I find myself really liking her.
      I only hope that by not giving her ankle joints, she is able to turn her lower legs slighly from the knee joint so that you can turn her feet if you need to.

I really, REALLY love the shape of her eyes. Damn. And yes, her resemblance seems to come from a few other SDs; Her facial shape is similar to Sakaki's, although elongated to be more mature. Her mouth is dead-on like Sakaki, Arashi and Yukinojou's, making me think it's a major influence of MIKEY. Her nose is also the style of MIKEY, but seems to be more original to Olivia. It is larger like Jun or Yukinojou's, but the end is softer, slightly more blunted.
      I love her eyes because they're so original to her. Sharp.

Hmm, it seems her more masculine features can be toned down when her hair is pulled closer to her face. She reminds me a bit of Rebecca Romijn (woo Mystique!) but definitely sharper. Also, maybe a bit of Cameron Diaz. (hahah, but not the nose) :cake:

Olivia looks like she could cut you just by looking at you.

2. Urgh. -_-

I... Really don't like it. At all. :-/

If I wanted a doll with a body that looks like Barbie's I'd get a barbie. :-/

Her ankles really do look like they're not jointed. I can see that being done for stability with the high-heeled feet since if she's the same size as Yukinojo/close to it she might tend to buckle, but ugh. Why have high heel feet at all? I hate high-heeled feet. >.<

What I can see:

She looks like she does at least have double knee joints, her joints there from what I can see look a lot like Yukinojo's. She may have a three-piece torso, going by the shape of the visible torso joint, it seems similar to the shape of your usual three-piece torso upper piece. Her shoulders look to definitely be single. Her legs aren't rotated out, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a swivel joint in her thigh. We likely wouldn't be able to see it even if we could see that high, I know that the ones on SDC Arashi and Yukinojo are often invisible in photos.

Her face isn't bad, but it's very fashion-dollish. I'm also not fond of how arched her lower legs are, it looks really unnatural and wouldn't even be necessary for balance with flat feet. :-/

I'm really disappointed. :-/ I'm sure very few people were hoping for the SD16 girl to apparently be one of the least posable girl dolls on the market. :-/

Ah well, at least there's the Domuya D-One Flexi-body for having a super-posable girl.

3. From seeing the first pics I'm not too fond of her, especially those ankles. They just don't make her look "right", I agree with the barbie statement (I just hope her feet are't the same as barbie's - fused toes and all)

However I do find company shots a bit bland. I can't wait to see some owner pics :)

4. Her eyes are so Heath-like...that was my first thought. She's very elegant. But thank goodness she's not "speaking" to me. Whew! *dodged that one narrowly*

5. She isn;t my favorite by far- I think Bella Audron is a much better looking mature doll. :/

My problem with her is that she really does look very western. I know she is meant to be american, but really- she looks like the resin fashion dolls you can buy (although she obviously isn;t one! ^_-) and the high heeled feet don;t so it for me....

I'd love to see some owner pics, though- owner pics are always better than the promotional ones....

6. It seems that Volks is pushinbg hard for the more 'standard' American market.
      SD16 boy => action figure
      SD16 girl => barbie

that's my impression, anyway. As for me, I don't really like this new direction and will be sticking to the SD and SD13. ^^

7. I think her sculpt is too close to Yuki,and I woulda liked something more different :/

8. I really don't like the high-heel feet, I hope they come up with an option for her ankles!~

And even if they have option legs, why does VOLKS have to be so mean when I had spent a bomb on a Yukinojou. it seems impossible to raise THAT much money by September to get her..... (T_____T)

Dies!~

9. Remember the Volks pictures never look like the real doll.

Geri

10. :sweat sort of goes without saying- promo pics are always dicy...

11. Huh, this is bad she's kinda growing on me. I'm going to the Tea with the intent of perhaps bidding on a One-Off, but she may sidetrack me yet. ^^;

12. That's my impression too, and yeah, I'll stick to my beloved SD13s/SD10s.

Sera

13. Oh wow, she's perfect for what I've been wanting for a girl. I absolutely love the barbie doll look :3 Oh man, I wouldn't have near enough money to eve dream about getting her in Septemeber >>

14. From an engineering standpoint, i can see why they potentially fixed the ankle joints if they were committed to the high-heel feet; like Ian-KunX said, with such a large, heavy body, she probably fell right over with mobile ankles without boots. Personally, i would have preferred jointed feet a la Hypermaniac or the Flexi body if they were dying for it.

I think i figured out what bothers me about her; for such a mature-looking sculpt, her head is kind of top-heavy. The remnant bulbous baby/anime proportion is not doing a thing for her. I'd like to see her wig pulled down, forehead and the sides of her skull sanded back a bit and the eyebrows painted further up.

15. She'd frighten all my girly-girls. Heck, she'd frighten my girly-boys too. ;)

She's definitely not for me, but I can see some people doing interesting things with her. I'd love to see her in one of aznbutterfly's cheongsam. :)

16. I third this. I don't like the new bodies at all...

17. I totally agree, and that's such a shame because well..we got into this hobby because of the unique look BJD's have, right? So why make them more American and more like other dolls that are already there?

I don't like her..but then again, it's only small pictures, and I never thought Volks' photography does there dolls justice..perhaps she's prettier than we can see here.

18. her face scult is very westernised... its like a american super model kinda face... not my type :(

if her face was sanded abit sharper looking and stuff that would be good :D

19. When I first saw her, I thought she was very pretty. My concern is how well she'll be able to stand in her bare molded high-heeled feet and also with high-heeled shoes on. I think she is beautiful and Im very curious about her and how the body will look. She is different, but change is good and I like her very much. I don't think Volks is trying to americanize the market. Volks always puts out good quality dolls.

20. Egads!!... Well, THAT was a bucket of ice dumped down the pants of my curiosity.

Ick.

Sorry, Barbie.

I see that she marks the transition from it being "Tokyo Boys Story" to "LA Story"... she's definitely too L.A. for me. But yes, I second the motion for somebody else to make her into a boy. Her face is nice, but IMHO doesn't suit the look that they've so carefully crafted for her. She'll make an excellent man. Just get her out of those ill-suited Lauper-revival clothes, and into a sharp black double-breasted suit, & she'll be fine.