1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks SD16 girl "Olivia Morgan" Discussion thread

Jun 26, 2006

1. At first glance,she didn't excite me (not like when I first saw Madoka Traditional or Shizu!)
      but, her face is growing on me.. she's pretty ..
      Well,.. I hope there will be nude shots of her so that we can really see her ~

2. I just don’t understand the way they do business. At the LA Tea Party they only had a few of their limited dolls and never gave a chance to the people that couldn’t attend to buy the dolls with a lottery or something….

Now they are saying that the sd16 girl is a limited doll….which doesn’t seem so limited because anyone can send the pdf form from the fashion doll quarterly website and buy the doll. You don’t need to go to the event to get the doll and they don’t say anything about a lottery. I am still going to the event but I am a little bit disappointed.

I know that volks is a family business and they are great producing beautiful dolls, sculpting faces etc…but when it comes to business they have no marketing abilities. They don’t know what the heck they are doing ……just look at their international website with all of the broken links…

I feel really bad for the people that paid $1900 for Yukinojo on Ebay when now they have more at their website; and they said that he was extremely limited. I will also like to know why Yukinojo was $1300 and the sd16girl is only $960?? Why is Tony $900 and Lucas and Chris $1100. Or how about the people that never got Lucas or Chris or Ren during the volksusa lottery and now they are in stock in their website without a lottery?

Is hard to have respect and take a company seriously when they release something and call it limited and then they re-release it over and over. That is how Mattel kill their business by over producing dolls and playing with their customers.

I mailed my payment for the doll today so now as usual is just a matter of time…I think she looks like a fashion model not a super dollfie but I still like her and I can’t wait to see pictures of her with different looks. I like her better with the brown wig on the picture.

Geri

3. BRAVO Geri BRAVO:abow: ....I completely agree with every word you have said. I felt the same way when I saw the Limiteds offered on the Volks USA Website. I really make me wonder now, How limited is Limited when it comes to Volks Dolls:? ?
      -Anthony

4. Thanks Anthony...
      In the middle time I am still waiting for my dolpa 15 dolls.....why are they so slow and why do I need to pay for something now and get it in september????

Geri

5. Interesting comments from all so far! Funny, I've spoken to a few mostly older older adult collectors who have been clamoring for a high-heeled bjd from Volks. My reaction to that was always 'But theres already Tonner and Mattel, bjds are different! Their charm isn't high-fashion per se!', but I could see their wants, up to a point. Now to hear that there are just as many who don't necessarily care for a high-heeled bjd (at least this one) - wow, it just blows my mind!
      Pony - Does that mean you're pre-ordering before you go to the tea party?? Will that make any difference? I'm disappointed about the bjd not being at the tea for pickup, as I had to change some plans to get to NYC - I could have stayed 'home' to finish up some projected end-of-the month work! Not to mention the costs to get to the tea...ugghh.....Alex

6. *struggles desperately to pick self up off floor after snorting tea through nose*

I couldn't have said it better m'self. So I'm not even gonna try!

Lisa

7. I would say that SD16 girl is probably, size-wise smaller than Yukinojo. Being that she's a girl (and they've said she's skinnier than SD13 girl, so for sure she'd be skinnier than Yukinojo...). Or maybe they felt the price point for Yukinojo was too high and are trying to bring the price down for her? Or maybe her outfit, and wig, etc, cost less to produce? Who knows. Also, it seems that people familiar with FDQ are saying that the people at the party get first dibs, and then if there is any extra, those who sent their form in get the rest. So still, she could be quite limited. Just because they are allowing people to send forms in doesnt guarantee an unlimited number of dolls or that everyone will for sure get one.

I'd say similar things for Tony vs Chris/Lucas. It's possible that their outfits cost more to produce or something. It's just impossible to know. I don't think they are nessesarily "re-releasing" the dolls. It's quite possible that they made a particular number, and these are extra from that number. It's really hard to say. it's not really helpful for us to make judgements on the morality/character of a company when we have so little information.

8. The site seems to be down right now...does anyone have a photo?

9. Black Cat Lucas and White Cat Chris came with two wigs and complex outfits, sewing gloves is very tedious. Yukinojo came with a several piece outfit made only for him, that means entirely new patterns and it had to have a few pieces to make a few different looks since there weren't any other places to find clothing yet (besides his track suit). He also has the KIPS posing system which was an entirely new creation, there's a chance Olivia will not have it since they seem to have opted for a different look and purpose with her. And like was said, she's much smaller than him and the girls have always been cheaper than the boys because of this.

I really doubt these two new SD16 bodies point to some new direction Volks will be taking with every doll from now on. (Sorry if this next part is OT but I think it's a good point to bring up-) Look at all of the different 1/6 dollfie styles, there are ones with many visible points of articulation and then there are the bodies that have no visible joints at all. Volks has always tried to appeal to the many different tastes of collectors and customizers, Olivia is just another doll in the same vein as Elegant Collection dollfies.

10. You know, you have this issue EVERY time Volks has a doll release. You're not happy with the way they do things. They're dumb. They kick small puppies and steal candy from little children. Why oh why do you keep patronizing the company then? :...( Show them that you mean business and put your money where your mouth is, etc. They're never going to change if you keep forking over the cash each time.

/OT

I'm not crazy about her face, she reminds me of a drag queen.

11. I had thought the same thing. She reminds me of Takara's CG Girls, and they always made me think of men in drag.

12. That said, I wish the gloves actually fit on both of Lucas' hands - I had such a time even getting one on and think I stretched it out of shape in the process. That (and the wig) was the best part of the outfit to me too! I like the Bermann gloves much better - Alex

13. In general, most doll companies ask you to pay up front and then wait. I fail to see how this is any different than say waiting the 8-10 weeks it took for Dream of Doll to produce dolls. Even Volks does not mass produce dolls. As for why you need to pay upfront, it should be obvious why.

Different priced limiteds no doubt reflect the actual cost of producing that limited. All of the Delf Art dolls on Luts are various prices, how is that any different than the difference in price between Tony and Lucas? Lucas came with two wigs and a more complex outfit that was reflected in the price.

First people complain that Volks limiteds are too hard to get and too limited, and now people are complaining that they are too easy to obtain and not limited enough. It seems doll collectors will never be satisfied.

As for my thoughts on Olivia, when I first saw her I thought she was a sanded Yukinojo turned into a girl. I don't mind the more fashion doll aesthetic and think her ankles are gorgeous, but I would have liked to see something a little less Yukinojo in drag and different from her. I would like to see what her body jointing looks like and if they will maybe produce option legs and feet - that I think would be an incredibly cool feature for the SD16 girl.

14. I think it's more that you won't be able to take the doll home with you like at Japan Dolpas that is upsetting. Many people who are flying in thought she was event-only and not a preorder.

I do think it's interesting how Volks boy dolls are nearly always more than girl dolls ;)

15. I agree completely - I've been watching other companies head in the direction of resin ball-jointed fashion dolls, and that's part of the reason it's been so easy for me not to buy any. Not that I consider having fewer dolls I want to buy a bad thing - I can hear my wallet breathing a sigh of relief.

But I'm with you, for now I'm sticking with my SD 10 and SD 13s.

Marcia.

16. Anyone have a picture since the site seems to be down?

18. THANK YOU!

I was getting rather twitchy from reading all the interesting comments, then not being able to see her.

19. Thanks for the pic! She does have a bit of a masculine look to her, more than what I usually go for, but she is still pretty. I love the look of her body though! I think it's beautiful! :)