1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks SD16 girl "Olivia Morgan" Discussion thread

Jun 26, 2006

1. I don't feel that a company must necessarily release anything called a "limited" with a view of "one time only you'll never ever ever see this head mold again so grab it now if you can because its value will shoot skyhigh and you can gloat at those who missed out and maybe sell it to them for megabucks later."

Define "limited": "Limited release edition" does not have to necessarily imply "one time only" release of a "limited" headmold. As far as Volks operates, "limited" for them seems to mean a particular packaging including the special head mold, a faceup style and special clothes which is available in limited quantities and only at certain times, as opposed to being a doll model that is "always on the shelf".

Collectors should note that these occasional re-releases of a limited headmold always come with new outfits and faceup styles, so they are NEVER the exact same thing as the previous package (pristine, not modded, of course.) A vintage top-condition Mercedes Benz is not necessarily "ruined in value" by the company releasing new cars.

I have my Limited BJDs because I like them and they make me happy. I'm not in this hobby for "future resale value" - if I were, I'd never open their boxes, except to ensure they were in one piece!! I pose them and gently play with them a bit; I try to avoid any harm to them, but I don't personally consider them an "investment", except as an investment in my enjoyment. Re-releasing limited edition headmolds in new packaging allows other people to enjoy something they love too, even if they cannot ever get the first "package version" they may have been drawn to.

Due to the insane soaring of real estate prices since we bought our house, I now apparently own a ridiculously-priced house too (location, location, location), but I am staying in this house to LIVE in it, not to bet on the price of real estate, not to savor a sense of "exclusiveness" from being able to own a house in my town while others now cannot, or to get the very last drop of "bang for my buck" later.

2. She looks very strong. Somthing about her that is very Madonna-esque. I think she would look ever more like Madonna if the jaw line is more angular and prominent. Just like Yukinojo, she will be even more attractive in person. Can't wait :D

3. I don't find her masculine (though the face-up shown certainly has that effect) but I do think she's not demure - I've grown accustomed to seeing a... reserved elegance, a quiet dignity, in Volks sculpts... even the ones I don't care for. She, frankly, looks unfinished.

Of course, she may look like an angel in person. I hope her owners think so. I just think it'd be unfortunate if Volk's first SD16 girl sold poorly.

4. *applauds Karisu*

I think this doll will sell well. I can't wait to see owner pictures :)

5. I don't think many people are in the hobby to buy limiteds and resell them later, and I don't think the value is the issue here..I think, and I can imagine even though I don't feel like that myself, that people feel a bit dissapointed when they payed loooooots of money for a Lucas, only for Volks to release him for the 4th time, you know?

I actually like the re-releases-shows different sides of the doll(compare the first Cecile to the Scarface..boy, am I glad they re released him XD)and gives more people the chance to buy the doll, which is of course, very good!

But the downside of re releases is..well the 'not knowing' For example, what if I loved Olivia, but I can't go to the Tea party and I didn't get her in the lottery-am I going to pay looooots of money for her second hand, or will she be re-released, like almost all dolls? But what if she just happens to be not one of those dolls, like Shinku and Sasha? It kind of becomes a hit and miss game, and I understand the frustration.

Again, sorry if this is offtopic and all that. But perhaps things like this are better discussed in topics like this, better to devote an entire topic to the 're-release' subject and getting into discussions..at least now we're distracted by Olivia's non-jointed ankles XD

*edit* forgot to say, I can't wait to see Olivia repainted and out of that Barbie outfit. I think she would make a very pretty gipsy girl, for example..let's hope some of the good customizers who always seem to bring out the best in a doll will get their hands on her!

6. If the dolls are not being purchased as investments then why would someone be rendered unhappy that a LE doll is released again, admittedly still in a limited amount? I was thrilled when volksusa.com did a second lottery for the SD16 this Winter and I'm certain that others who long for that mold are thrilled with this limited third availability.

I see that CP has also increased the amount of available LE dolls - the Elves were 68 in number, Woosoo 150 and the newer LEs are around 200. This seems like a perfectly appropriate increase based on the increase in demand. CustomHouse has LE dolls of 1.

If someone pays a large sum for an LE that they believe to be no longer available, that would seem to be a personal decision based upon what they feel the doll is worth to them, and should have no bearing on how they subsequently feel if the LE is released at its original cost again or they discover another secondhand LE for less than they paid.

Olivia looks like an intriguing Cali girl to me - I'm anxious to see owner pics!

7. Big News ...
      (at least I think it's big news, you tell me!

Just heard from VOLKS about Olivia's ankle join (or lack there-of) and they told FDQ the following:

'After we took the photos of Olivia for FDQ magazine, we had been working on the first product model. Then we asked Mr. Enku to sculpt her leg with an ankle joint. We will have her movable leg in Pure Skin soon. Presently she has high-heeled feet and she can stand by herself without the shoes. But we thought putting optional legs in her package will make collectors who like SD’s movability, happy.'*
      (this was edited for content)

Am
      -FDQ

8. That's really good that they are thinking of adding the ankle jointed legs as optional! I really like that idea!

9. Oh Am, thank you for that news! I was really hoping they'd do that. Hopefully they'll come out with it not too long after Olivia is released. ^_^

And it's nice to hear that she can stand on her own without the shoes, even with high heeled feet as well!

10. I can't believe I was right about my guess that she'd be an SD16 girl who was romantically involved with Yukinojo!! :D I would have felt really silly if I was wrong. :sweat

I've planned to name one of my future dolls Olivia, so it was a surprise to find out that this girl has the same name! :) I'm not sure if I like her face, but I'm eager to see pictures of her body and joints. :daisy

11. Wonderful news, Am, thanks for posting it :chibi

12. Agreed! Volks does at excell at innovation after all, I'm very happy they've considered it.

Surely if they make optional legs for Olivia they must be releasing other versions of her in the future?

13. The way I read Am's post (Thanks for this wonderful news, Am!!) is that the jointed legs would arrive in the box with the doll!!! That makes this a very cool thing indeed!

~Bruce

14. Deffinatly what I was thinking.*hugs her chubby sd10 boy* Points to them because she really looks a LOT like a runway model and thats pretty cool. Not my thing at all tho I like spunky looking girls.

I don't think I'll be clamouring for her, but it will be nice to see owner pictures. (and her modded into a boy. XD)

15. My FDQ magazine by subscription hasn't arrived yet, but found one in Borders to look at. I love this doll, the story line, the preview of fashions for her, great magazine photos!- Barb in MA, who is going to the Tea Party in NY!

16. I just got my FDQ today, and I have to say the pictures of Olivia are toothsome. She looks so lovely, and the headsculpt is so realistic, not so anime as say a 4 sisters mold. She's really quite something!

17. Phew! I'm glad they'll put some ankle joints on her ^_^ I think it would be too much of a gamble to market a ball joint doll that didn't have them at all! Still not sure about her chin though, its nice in three quarter view but not from the front.

I'd like to see her in a long black wig and elegant kimono, and certainly a different face up. Cos' I know I didn't like Volk's Liz until i saw her with dark hair.

I like the tall elegant woman look, but not the fashion model look...

18. I just got my magazine today...and damn if I don't really like this one. I don't have any volks at the moment....but this one is really calling to me. When would you have to pay for her if you were lucky to get her? What about Joe? Is it even remotely possible to get him still? Are the re-releasing him at all? I am so clueless when it comes to the volks dolls...it seems so complex in comparison to luts...

19. Yukinojo is still available on VolksUsa, there are four left. It is possible that he may be rereleased sometime in the future but at the moment there is only one version. Volks is more complex but not difficult to understand once you're used to their terms, you'll be fine :daisy

20. thanks for the info...but as beautiful as these are...i think they are just out of my league. I am looking forward to owner's pics though...