1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks SD16 girl "Olivia Morgan" Discussion thread

Jun 26, 2006

1. This just supports my theory that Volks=Mapquest. 800 miles and half-way around the state to get across the street.

/OT

I think it's quite hypocritical that Volks says they wanted the KIPS system to increase posibility, then they go and take out one of the most VITAL sets of joints a doll has..

Personally, I think that not only are they trying to play to the Western market by her appearance, that they made her legs without ankle joints simply to create another market for them to dominate.

I mean, think about it, where will people buy shoes for a high-heeled doll of her size? Nowhere but Volks will have them. People will have to buy Volks shoes or have a doll that can't stand, because she doesn't have feet that can support herself without those certain shoes.

And if she comes with optional legs that DO have ankle joints, that's such a waste for Volks. They could just have an option of WHICH type of legs you want, or if you even want the extras without ankles, they could include them. But this is Volks and they just have to give everyone a bunch of stuff that only half of the people receiving want.

And we're back to Volks=Mapquest, go figure ^_^;;

2. Yeah... some nerve they've got, giving people a choice.

3. Well said! I was not keen on Olivia with just the non-jointed ankles, but if she were to come with two types of legs, I would surely find a use for both at one point or another. Not that I can afford her at the moment, but I'm a sucker for optional parts. Would still like to see more body pics though...

4. I'm sure there are probably people who LIKE the lack of ankle joint, for aesthetic reasons. If they're going to make optional parts so it can be changed back and forth, I really fail to see how that's bad.

Or how that apparently makes Volks some horrible contrived mess. Is the pointless Volks bashing really needed? And what about the half who DO want it? Or want both?

But I guess some people will never be satisfied with anything Volks does, no matter what. Even when they try to make things to fit everyone's exacting tastes, people still complain like they're doing something horrible.

5. It seems that no matter what Volks does, there are people who will take it negatively and criticize them. :( Volks is doing a wonderful thing by becoming more and more involved with their American fans, the least we can do is be grateful.

I'm sure that they'll include legs with an ankle joint for those who want it, and maybe the non-jointed ankle is to attract more American doll collecters, but I don't see anything wrong with that, since the world of BJDs is not limited to Volks. :)

I'm excited to see the new SD16 girl body, and owner pics! :daisy

6. I I hope the new bodies will be gorgeous I wonder iff it is possible to put different heads on the body. And will the body be available thru FCS?

I am not a fan of the headmold it's the mold of the most plain not attractive white girl(can I say this..I live in amsterdam don't have trouble useing the terms black or white but I apoligize iff this sounds offensive...) I can imagine O_O...why can't they make a Adrianna Lima headmold or something else cute and sexy..

I do must say that Volks is makes great quality dolls and I just enjoy seeing Volks creations ^_^...and besides that Volks is very good in creating a special world around BJD and I just love that!

7. Wow. That girl has one manly face. o.o

8. The SD16 boy body still hasn't made it into FCS, nor even the SD10 swaricco body, so I'm assuming 'no' for a while. Although Volks did just announce that they'd be changing a lot of the FCS, so I guess it may be possible in August. We'll find out soon enough :daisy

9. sweetie, it's the same with every other company. And doll. And release. And clothing. And everything that is business-in or outside the doll world. Companies make choices, people like them, or don't like them. It's just the way it is-you can't make people like everything you do, that's just a waste of time. As long as you enjoy it, it's fine, right? And the people who don't enjoy it will simply take their business elsewhere.

I like that they do give her optional ankle joints, but I wonder..who would ever want her without ankle joints? I don't think anyone here was very enthusiastic over it, right? But I like it that they listen to the fans and give them a choice ^___^

10. I know that, and I wasn't trying to force my opinion on others. :) I'm fully aware that I can't make everyone like what I like, so I try not to waste my time with it. What I meant was that instead of deciding they don't like something and moving on to other things, sometimes people just stay fixated and complain about it. If you don't like a certain company/doll/release/etc., that's fine, just move on and find something you do like. :daisy Don't dwell on negativity.

And I'm sorry if I seem a bit protective of Volks. :sweat I don't mean to be, but it seems that so many people forget the wonderful things they have done and instead go over every thing they dislike about them.

I'm sorry if we've gotten too OT. Lets get back to Olivia! :D

11. I can't say she's my favorite mold, she's very unique though. I can't wait to see what a Y!J customizer does to her.

(I agree. It's awesome all they've offered to us. And to have a BJD shop in America! Whooo!)

12. i just got the summer06 issue of FDQ in the mail today. they had this cute article on Olivia with little spoilers on her and Joe's first encounter and this full-page photo of her:

[​IMG]

sorry, i don't have a better picture, my scanner's on the fritz. anywho, i felt she really grew on me today. :daisy i'm really excited to see her at the NY tea! i wanna see her with 16mm eyes!

13. All of you have probably heard the quote "You can't please all the people all of the time...", and honestly Volks doesn't need to. Those of us who find Olivia attractive will buy her, or enjoy her vicariously through others. Those who don't think she's all that can save their dolly dollars for something else.

I love a wide variety of dolls myself, not just BJDs, but see no reason to bad mouth any company's offerings. I even like Barbies....so go ahead and gasp in shock and horror...its okay, I don't mind. I love fashion dolls and I'm proud to say so. I would've snapped up Yukinojo if I didn't already have Heath because I like both of their mascline looks. I know there are a number of members that prefer their boy dolls more on the effeminate side, and I respect that, even if its not my thing.

Likewise with Olivia, I like her, but you need not, just don't trash a doll that hasn't even been released yet. Or complain about an event being held that many of us are happy about getting the chance to go to. If you wanted to go, and were neither a Volks owner, or FDQ subscriber, you could post asking someone to sign you up as their guest. I was happy to do this for a member here that I haven't even met yet, and I'm sure other attendees would help in this manner too. Bottom line, if you don't like Olivia, don't buy her. If you don't want to go to NY or LA Volks events, don't go. If you don't like any of Volks dolls, don't look, don't buy, but please stop trying to spoil it for the rest of us.

Juli DC

14. Ayy Ayy Juli Ayy Ayy.... I feel the same way!!!! And I like Barbies too:sweat So your not alone sweetie. See you at the Tea Babe!!!:chibi
      -Anthony

15. Someone just pointed me towards Olivia... and WOW. She is exactly what I've been searching for. I mean, just... everything. I hope I get her, I've sent off my order form.

16. my first thought on seeing the face was "thats a girl?" she looks kinda like a bad drag queen to me... at least the face...

and the body is too barbie... especially the heeled feet... now IMHO heels can keel over and die... so to kill the posability of the doll over wanting to have heeled feet just makes me want to scream...

I actually liked Yuki when everyone was calling him "action figurey" but she is just too much... its like Volks went too far and ended up falling off of a cliff...

I actually 100% honestly see nothing redeming about her whatsoever... they should not be abandoning the sweet look dolls they are known for, for viperwoman looks-like-she'll-eat-me barbie....
      any more "Americanizing" and I'll start to loose faith in Volks ability to be true to themselves... they've always seemed so nice and down to earth and homey in a unique Japanese way... and if they loose that I don't know what I would do with loosing my favorite doll company... T_T

(and do her shoes look plastic to anyone else?)

edit: whoops... two sets of legs/ankles... I ranted too soon.... I do hope the other ones are not heeley feet....

17. Y'know.....

When I first saw Olivia's face, I just about fell in love, ankles and all. (Though, BTW, I'm absolutely delighted that Volks is making the optional jointed legs.) What I saw in the photographs was a spectacularly beautiful young woman - and then this thread started, and I kept reading about her "mannish" features. This puzzled me until I took a step back and took another look at Volks (and other) female dolls. Compared to them, Olivia does have coarser, more angular features, but I think that has a lot to do with her maturity. When I look at a lot of the BJD girls, I see teenage or younger _girls_, but when I look at Olivia, I get the impression of an elegant and accomplished _young_woman_.

I still see that.

My $0.02 - YMMV.

~Bruce

18. Yes, Olivia is all woman! :) She would be nearly perfect for a character I have in mind now, just wish I had the money ready for her :sweat

19. I was able to pick up an issue of FDQ and I read the article on Olivia...it was an interesting read. Anyway, someone asked why anyone would want the non-jointed ankle. In my case, my dolls are always standing becuase they are mannequins for the clothes I make for them. The ability to wear awesome high heeled shoes and boots would be more valuable to me personally than posability. I think it's awesome that they would give people a choice!

20. I don't care very much for the doll itself (just my style, I like pre-teen and younger for my BJDs) but the picture in FDQ with the reddish-blonde wig with braids made me wonder about the size of Olivia's head in comparison with an SD10, in case I ever have the chance to snatch it up for Maggie ^^;;