1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks SD17 Leg Exchange

Apr 25, 2010

1. JennyNemesis: omg, you're killing me, support hose would ruin Shinji's look, now wouldn't it, rofl!! He's much too young & smexy for his career to suffer like that so I totally hear your concern;3 Maybe I missed it under the horrible lighting too, hard to say, but I saw someone's handsome blond Reisner in the dolly doc room and the overhead lighting was even worse in there, so who knows:( my boy Cash spends most of his time fully clothed, so he might look like he has a very odd tan at worse when he wears shorts. But the increased mobility for his character ever so slightly edged out the coloring, but suffice to say, I still really hope I'm not wrong about the color-match. I'll take pics, hopefully that will help. Too bad no one's come forward about a Genji leg swap.

Pris84: Congrats on your Hijikata!! Do you think your handsome Genji might be willing to do some color comparison pics w/Hijikata?

2. Hehe, that's just me being dramatic. Ignore me. XD If Shinji were more of an action-man doll, I'd definitely say the new joints take precedence over any resin mismatch!... but alas, Shinji lives here with me, so pants are just not always a constant thing.

I'm guessing that Hijikata won't be quite the same color as any new legs that they've specially-made to match an older model... Hiji is a whole new model, so he will be that more-pinkish tone of their recent resin. Like my Ryoya, who I can see is much more rosy-peachy than the old ivory guys here (it's beautiful though). I know there's no way to exactly match any older resin, of course, but I'm vainly hoping that maybe they kept some of the ivory-colored resin formula around for this leg campaign.

3. Back for a minute ....

Hooray! Hijikata arrived! And no customs!!! :celebrate

I took a few, quick shots of the 3 SD17 boy bodies that I have, I hope this helps?

L --> R: Reisner; Hijikata; Genji;

Natural Sunlight, no ps except some sharpening and a touch on the exposure to brighten it

[​IMG]

L --> R: Reisner; Hijikata; Genji;

With flash -

[​IMG]

L --> R: Genji; Hijikata; Reisner

Another natural sunlight

[​IMG]

I can try and take more if it helps.

As far as resin goes, I think Hijikata is just a little (very slight) bit more pink, very small. I think I would compare the difference to if I bought a new pair of hands and put it on an older doll? My Genji also needs a bit of a bath, so please forgive me on that one. :sweat I'm kinda wondering though, if when you got the new legs, if you recoated the whole body with MSC or the Volks finishing spray, to even it out? And body blushing would help if you wanted to. Honestly, in person, the difference doesn't seem huge. I think you have to hunt for the colour difference.

I haven't posed him a lot -yet- but so far, Hijikata poses very nicely (a bit of a cheat here as I splurged for the Satogaeri services :D)! That knock knee is gone but I find that maybe the detailing/sculpting isn't as fine as the old version? The old version feels like it's a bit more slender and defined and the new one might just be a touch heavier and thicker? The old ones look just a bit sexier?

I probably won't change them because I have a new body that I could switch to if I wanted just for better posing?? If we didn't have to give them back (heard something mentioned above), then I might? But I guess there is 8 pieces in total to the the new legs (I think), so divide by $220 and it works out to about $27.50 an individual piece ($110 a leg), which is like buying hands. I realize there is the extra cost of shipping and the original cost of the legs, especially if you don't get to keep them but SD17 boys that get posed a lot, I think it's a good investment.

But basically for all the real die hard fans, I think it comes down to, what is more important to you, aesthetics or poseablity?

I think I'll go and play a little more with my guys and yeah, it'll be a decision down to the wire! :lol:

4. So it's NOT just me?-- I thought I was just being paranoid, but me too-- I could swear that the sculpture / musculature of the new legs looked & felt just a shade less sharp, less defined, than the old. Am I seeing what's not there? That sinewy look is one of the main things I love most about these legs, so.

So thanks Pris! :thumbup: That is a great review. You're fortunate; this is definitely the kind of offer that makes you wish you had an extra SD17 lying around the house so you could keep both options. ;; I would splash yea bucks for new legs in a heartbeat if I could keep the old ones.

PS. Could I prevail upon you to put some of those new pictures in this thread?
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?369501-SD17-Legs-New-vs.-Old-comparison-pix-needed
      (It's the Photo Request thread, where other people might be looking first.)

PS2. Mazel tov on the new arrival, dahling! <3

5. Thanks so much Pris84, that is an awesome comparison!! I have to admit I do feel a bit better now, I think the color diff is slight enough for me to have done it with the one boy, not so sure if anyone else will be getting it. The Dolly Doc did say when I asked about how loose he was (his knee & calf would pull a 360 fairly easily not a prob I've had with any of my other boys, but their bodies are all newer &/or haven't played with as much) the new legs would correct that. His stringing had a natural amount of play in it according to the Dr. So keeping that in mind, I totally agree if you're posing your boy a lot this probably is a good option cause he'll eventually work himself loose, or if color difference or new look is a bother you could also buy him some new string & restring him every few years or so.

6. Done, Jenny! :) Added a few extra photos too.

Yeah ... I did notice the difference on the legs. It's not huge but it's there. If you -really- love it, it's the kind of thing that might -really- bug you. Especially, pretty young boys that like to lounge and prance about without any pants. ;)

Thanks for the congrats, Hijikata. ... er Hayato (aka Hawkeye) is already getting quite comfy around here and putting the "moves" on my Genji which I'm sure will serious annoy his boyfriend, Mr. Grumpy Vampire (IM Hound). But it's not fun unless someone bleeds around here! :lol:

You're welcome, Haruko006! Glad they were able to help a bit. Yes, I'm much more comfortable with the resin difference than the difference in sculpt! My Genji is loose too (geez that sounds bad ... :sweat) and I think he's going to get pulled apart soon, bathed, re-MSC'd and restrung with some new SD16 string (which is awesome stuff!). I did that to the Reisner body and it made all the difference in the world! Interesting notes from the Dolly Doctor. I guess they of all people should know! :)