1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks Super Dollfie ~ SD, SD13, SDGr, SD16, SD17 & FCS - Part V

Jun 15, 2012

1. All the Volks dolls I've come across have an indentation for the plate (my Irvin is missing his plate, and there's a clear lowered area with glue traces in it where the plate originally went). I'm not aware of them ever having used stickers, maybe someone with a similarly aged Volks can shed some light?

2. I was using the term "sticker" to refer to some kind of plate, sorry XD. But I imagine it couldn't be a metal plate if it was just stuck on my girls head because it would need to be curved.

I'm talking to a friend who's doing research and she said that in 2003, volks started adding the head plates, and that dolls prior to that were without. (this was found in an archived volks discussion thread)

>_> SURELY I can't own the only one XD

3. All Volks dolls come with headplates except the School heads, I believe. I'm not sure when they implemented this, though -- my 2004 Anais II has it, so definitely before that. It's not a sticker, but a solid metal plate. It's not really curved, because the indentation itself is quite flat. XD

Even if the plate falls off, there should be an oval indentation where it has been.

4. Old skin heads prior to around 2002 did not have head plates. I owned a 4 sisters boy who was a very old head who did not have a headplate or spot for one. He did have 1999 carved into the inside of his head though.

Standard Nono was released in 2000, so there was two years worth of Nono's produced who would not have head plates or spots for one.

5. *sigh of relief*
      I also found the post my friend found:
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/s...SD17-amp-FCS&p=8622225&viewfull=1#post8622225

I'll still post photos of her head later tonight, that way there's a reference photo that can be used for the future :)

6. She looks official to me, I only had Volks dolls briefly in my collection and all have had some kind of headplate to them, and some had fallen off too, but I kept it in a small bag and inside their box for safe keeping.

7. Hmm, or it may be more around 2001 and prior. I'd need to ask a friend if her very oldskin MSD bought in person in 2002 has a headplate. I don't think she does which is why I was thinking 2002, but if some old skin heads do have headplates it would have to be before 2003 that they introduced them... the timely gets a little unclear right before the switch to pureskin, but anyhoo, the point is that there are oldskin Nono's who legitimately do not have headplates or even spaces for a headplate in existence.

8. Agreeing with everyone who says your Nono looks plenty authentic!

I have two fully-provenanced Volks dolls who are too old to have headplates or indentations for them: a Syo from 2001 or so and an SD10 Sara from 1999. Someone did recently accuse me (thank goodness, in private) of owning a recast because the Syo is pre-headplate. It's really too bad, IMO, that this hobby has so largely forgotten its early history. :(

9. My F-05 from 2002 has head plate, so I assumed that must be before 2002.

10. Agreeing that the oldest Volks dolls didn't have headplates or even a place to put one (so no flat spot).
      From what I remember, the plates started showing up part way into 2002.

11. V_V indeed!
      I'd just given this doll to a friend as a gift for his girlfriend, and when I realized that older dolls had headplates I was like... OH NO I JUST SOLD MY FRIEND A FAKE O_O

Everyone wants paperwork, headplates, boxes :( I hardly have any of that for any of my dolls!
      Thank god my Volks Heath still has his headplate O_O *smothers it in superglue* STAY.

Head photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

link to huge photo so you can read the markings in the head: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8429/7701154436_6896995c32_k.jpg
      http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7270/7701154238_e7db2ac12c_k.jpg

[​IMG]
      Inside the head (luts donut), gunk around the head of the head is just tack that I use to keep her headcap on.

12. My F-08 SD13 girl does not have a spot for a identification plate, but then again she is like...forever old (but well loved!).

13. Knibitz, I don't think you should worry. The fake-casters usually recast new heads... XD

14. I didn't mention how much I paid for the doll originally :/ that's what always made me wonder and it was the nono that I saw that peaked my concern, but I'm not discussing money here - so end of that.

15. It definitely looks like the oldskin plateless heads I've seen in terms of headcap shape. You've got a Ryo/Nono13 there and not actually a regular Nono. Both of those were released in oldskin in 2002.

16. What Kim said--it's a great point about the headcap shape, because that shallow headcap is distinctive, in old-old Volks. (It's more like the pate on an antique doll than like later BJD headcaps, or so I always think.)

(though actually, I'm just pottering around in this thread for the pleasure of admiring Kim's userpic. :wiggle )

17. LOL! Continue to admire him all you want. (He reduces me to 13 year old girl blushing giggling on a regular basis)

I still can't believe someone accused you, of all people, of owning a recast. It simply boggles my mind.

18. To make this post on-topic, have Auri lounging! :>

[​IMG]
      A Cure for Boredom by rainwaltz, on Flickr

What I really wanted to say is...

THIS. I will shamelessly admit I am here (and the Bluefairy thread) just for this. /flees

19. :D yep! I know she's an SD13 nono ^__^
      I just tend to call her a nono generally :)

20. Whenever Kim posts I usually spend 5 minutes or so staring at her user pic before making myself finish reading the thread. :P

But on the subject of Volks recasts, when did users start noticing that they were being recasted? I would think that any doll with no headplate or a spot for one wouldn't likely be a recast at all since many people have mentioned that the earliest recasted dolls were horrible quality. I would think any doll recasted during the turn of this century would show it. And as fransyung brought out I can't image any company engaging in recasts would go through the trouble of getting an older head and recasting it, when newer ones with headplate spots are more readily available. I of course could be wrong on these points.