1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

W/ W/out Doll Profiles

Mar 2, 2017

1. I have done profiles for most of my dolls, but I have a few that are kind of an an unfinished or changing state so I don't really feel like putting them up yet.

2. I do not do profiles for many reasons, chiefly being that am never happy with my own photos. I feel like no one would want to see them so getting the time an effort to take photos and edit and post them just seems daunting.

3. I'm too lazy (& too old) to want to do so now. But I did add my dolls to the databases when I got most -- some were so limited/unpopular they didn't get a database (I think you had to have at least ten to create one? I'm too old to remember anything anymore). I'd like to blame it on old-age, but I think its just my natural lazy-self. (:

4. I have way too many dolls and it would take me the rest of my life and then some to get decent pictures and then create a doll profile for all of them. If that feature had been around back in the day and I could have easily made one as I got each doll I probably would have done it, but now? I can't be bothered to even try and catch up.

Also the few I did make profiles for have changed so much since I made them they're all obsolete now anyway...so trying to keep up with them is a whole new time-suck I don't need.

5. I truly enjoy the profiles feature and have made it a priority to do one for each of my dolls. I’ve been collecting for 14 years now, and it was a bit daunting at first to get everyone added...but I worked on it slowly, one or two dolls a week until I was caught up. It eventually required the nominal upgrade fee to be able to include all of them. But I felt it was well worth the effort because it’s a wonderful place to not only share my dolls but keep track of everything (it’s so easy to forget important details as your collection starts to grow.) Once I have a doll, adding their profile has now become just one of my many processes of completing them. That’s how I’ve been able to keep up with it.:)

#45 PoeticSoul, Nov 9, 2020
      Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    6. My unfinished dolls don't go on there! My blank girls and floating heads won't get a profile until they're finished! Nothing really to show off otherwise :lol:

7. It makes me sad when I see an awesome picture of a bjd in a forum post and go to the person's profile to learn more about their doll but they haven't made a doll profile.

8. Damien has been home for over a month and still doesn't have a profile because I can't seem to get a good picture of him. With my work schedule and personal life, I feel like the only time I have to take pictures is after dark. I want to share him, things just haven't been in my favor!

9. Haha. Honestly, because of this thread it makes me want to do it. Here are my reasons why I haven't done it yet:
      • Been a member of DoA since 2007 so this feature is new to me, i.e., I didn't know it existed really until now.
      • I don't have photography skills and am embarrassed of taking bad pictures of my dolls.
      • Quite a few of my dolls need to be dusted off and I'm embarrassed that my profile pictures will show how some are more neglected than others.
      • Time and effort to enter all that information for my dolls.
      • Needing to clarify which ones are my dolls and which ones are my husband's dolls (although I'm pretty sure I know which ones are which) as we've been partners in this hobby since the beginning.
      • The worry that if I do create profiles I might get unwanted solicitations from people wanting to buy my dolls from me even though I'm not selling.
      The last one only really happened to me like once in my early days here, but it kind of bothered me as the person was rather persistent and it made me uncomfortable. However, I don't mind sharing what company I got my dolls from (all Volks), especially if it is a newbie that simply is trying to find a doll they like that they saw on my profile. And I don't mind being upfront about estimated costs of the dolls, especially if the person is trying to save up so they can either purchase them through Volks themselves or through the secondhand marketplace. Other than that, I look forward to working on my doll profiles in time.

10. I love looking at other people's doll profiles, but as for my own...Well, my photography skills are, frankly, terrible. It's embarrassing to post my bad pictures. But instead of taking the time to practice my photography skills, I keep just saying "I'll do it later" and avoiding the issue.

I made a profile for my first two dolls, and then have never gotten around to it with my third...:sweat

11. I haven’t done it yet, because I have more dolls than the number of profiles allowed, and picking and choosing feels weird. Also, it won’t let me do it from my phone or iPad for some reason, and I hate dealing with my laptop these days.

12. Out of the 3 dolls that i have currently in my possession (not on layaway or waiting to be shipped), I only plan to keep two. One of them isn't really complete yet in terms of her outfit, and the other, well, I just haven't taken enough good pictures of him yet. I also feel like my grasp on their personalities and stories isn't where I'd want it to be for making official profiles. I still haven't really decided if I want my MSDs to be tied to a cohesive story like I plan for the two SDs I have ordered.

I do enjoy seeing other people's profiles, however. I'm excited to make some of my own, too! I suppose my perfectionism is just getting in the way at this point, haha :sweat

13. I've been on here a long time and didn't notice the doll profile feature until recently. I do try to list my dolls on the database so people can see examples, but life has gotten busy, so the later ones aren't on there. I like the idea of doll profiles, it's just a question of finding time to set up for photos, etc.

14. I have some doll profiles done. I love being able to browse the profiles and see different sculpts and how they look with different styling. I should really get around to updating mine and posting a few more.

15. I have been on the forums since 2016, but only created first profiles a couple weeks ago when I thought it would be nice to collect the stories of my dolls in one place. There were several reasons for me for not making it sooner:

-I'm more active on Instagram
      -I don't own any dolls I owned a few years ago anyway, I have only recently found my style in dolls
      -I'm not sure if people even care about the backstories of my dolls
      -I'm not that into revealing my characters, because some people can just lazily copy it when I used hours to create my universe and story.
      -Most of my dolls are not finished and lack some things I'd like them to have in the photos.
      -I don't have a proper camera and even my phone is from 2015, plus I am bad at photography generally. For Instagram phone shots are okay, but somehow I feel ashamed to post them on the forum as my photos are not particularly good.
      -I'm lazy.

16. Im interested in doll profiles! But of all my dolls, all are either:

1. Unfinished
      2. No character/background

I literally do not have a single doll that's finished enough to show off and write about... and I have like 7 full dolls. Some day, though! I'd love to contribute some profiles and add to the community

17. no name, i seriously haven't named him yet despite him being here for an entire month. no shoes, i really should get on that. not finished, and at the rate im going, maybe some time next year. and all my pictures looks like mug shots, some how. :sigh

18. I have been meaning to make profiles for my dolls but it has mainly been hard for me to find the time. Not to mention I dont have names for most of my dolls. I still need to take good pictures of them, and some are even still waiting on me to finish their faceup. So while I really enjoy seeing everyone else's doll profiles and it has inspired me and shown me so many other doll companies and sculpts that I have since fallen in love with, most of my reluctance is due to laziness and lack of motivation.