1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Was your first doll a boy or girl?

Jun 17, 2014

1. Technically by body, my first doll was female (obitsu 60cm). However, as the character is actually intersex, the body has been modified to being more androgynous.

Most of my dolls now are male, in fact all except my two obitsu 60s (who have both been modded to being androgynous, both characters are intersex) are male. Just find it easier to create male characters than female ones.

I am planning on getting one mini size female and two tiny size females though!

2. my first doll was a boy. now there are two, and two more on the way ... and all the guys ))

3. I've ordered two boys as my first dolls... I'm really excited to get them, I'm just worried boys will be harder to dress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I827 using Tapatalk 2

4. When I started in this hobby, I'd only caught an intriguing glimpse of some BJDs, from a distance, at an anime convention. Later, someone on a Yaoi Forum was talking about these amazing boy dolls she wanted to get, and posted links to some websites. When I checked them out, I realized they had to be the same dolls as the ones at the convention. Since I'd never seen one in person, I decided to test the waters by ordering a small, fairly inexpensive one. So I went looking on ebay, and I found this cute little Customhouse Petite Ai who was relatively inexpensive. I don't remember the sculpt name, the Petite Ai's all had names of angels, ones that were all similar sounding.

Now I've always preferred boy dolls, I even used to try and turn my girl dolls into boy dolls when I was a kid. So I was planning on a boy, and all the information I'd found on them said that the Petite Ai were basically genderless, so I'm thinking, "Oh, that one is cute, such a solemn little face!" "It's nice and small, and not too expensive, it will make a perfect little boy!" "I'll name him Kestral.".....

Right....

The package arrives, I open it, and I find myself eye to eye with this little, still slightly chubby, four year old... Whose little face looks like any minute tears are going to start welling up, and this quavering little toddler's voice in my head saying, "Hello, my name is Kestral, but, but, I'm not a boy! I'm a little girl!" 0_o

Here I was expecting a slim, five or six year old, adorable boy, and what do I end up with, a little, just barely four year old, girl. Try as I might, there was no changing her from a girl to a boy. Lol, that's one thing none of the doll sites warn you about, that these dolls definitely have a mind of their own! ^_~

Well, there was nothing for it but to try again, so back to the internet I went. This time I went for some that were a little bigger and older, three Volks MSD boys and one Volks SDC boy. I figured once my boys got here I could just resell the little girl on ebay.

Uh huh, sure. The packages arrive and I looking at three gorgeous, perfect boys. Then I hear this polite, beautiful, intelligent, boy's voice in my head saying, "Hi, I'm Peregrine Fox, I'm sixteen, and this is my brother Merlin Fox, he's thirteen. The boy over there with no eyes is Autumn Grey, Audie for short. He is Merlin's classmate and our friend. Oh, and please! You can't sell Kestral! She's our little sister!" 9_9

Lol, what can you do? ~_^

Anyway, since then a few more girls have found their way in, but the boys still out number the girls, probably by at least a four to one ratio. ^_^

Oh, and the fourth box, that was Lucifer, and he is another story, but I'll save that for another post.

5. My first doll was a boy, but as a gift I got a girl with him. So I could say a boy and a girl, but I did buy the boy cause I fell in love with his face. :)

6. my first BJD is a girl my next few will probably also be girls since the one boy I have planned is hard to come by

7. My first BJD was a girl. And I had always planned it to be a girl. My second however is going to be a boy. (I've already ordered his body and head. Have yet to get them.)

8. My first was(is) a girl and I'll probably be buying mainly girls, I don't know why but they just appeal to me more

9. My first was an SD size girl. So were my second and third. My fourth was a tiny size girl. But I currently have my first boy on layaway. I would like to have an even mix of boys and girls in my collection, but I just don't seem to find as many male sculpts I really love. I always have an eye out, but the guy that's on layaway is the first male sculpt I have seen yet that I absolutely fell for immediately. (So of COURSE he would be limited and fairly expensive :|) I'm really looking forward to him and fully expect to enjoy my boy just as much as I do my girls. And I hope to find at least a few more boys I really like over time to add to my collection.

10. I'm still waiting on my first two and a half girls. I don't feel any desire to own a boy doll. I do like the cute couple photos that others make, though.

I think all-in-all I will end up with 4 girls. Maybe 5 if I can't resist another tan event. :lol: (and god knows it could be 6 if I get another event head...)

11. My first doll was a girl, because she was convenient. XD A friend owned a DZ body that wasn't working for a character she had and I loved DZ Helen. And so we came to an agreement, made a trade (funds for doll body), I ordered the head from MoC--and then I had my first girl! :D

12. My first was girl, pukipuki Madeleine.

13. First one was a BOY.

Second was a girl, but I do prefer the boys! Before bjds, there were just so few boy dolls. It's one of the great things about bjds--all the different boys! :D

14. My first doll was a boy; now I own three boys. I do have girls, but I prefer boys. :)

15. My first doll was a msd girl.
      Poor girl is so lonely as one of my girls are never home and the other is a pet. I have three boys home right now, three sd boys on the way another female "pet" but a female msd body is also on the way to complete another girl. I plan to order two more msd boys before the end of the year.

16. I prefer girl dolls but I notice more people prefer boys :lol: I don't like boy dolls becouse they seem like girls.

17. My first doll is a girl:)
      Most doll I own are girls, only one boy, lucky him surrounded by girls!

18. My first was a SD girl. And all girls since then lol. My first girl has been neglected for awhile but now I think she's gonna work into my band's story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. I started with a pair of male CP/Delf twins... A standard, open-eyed Shiwoo and his Dreaming counterpart.

20. My first doll was/is a girl, and it took me ages to find a sculpt I liked enough to buy (that was also affordable). I would like to buy myself a boy too but I just can't seem to find a head sculpt I like in the size range I'm looking for.