1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Washing your hands before handling your dolls....

Sep 30, 2010

1. The first time i touched my BJD it was really stressful and my hands were sweaty ..
      but yeah i do wash my hands all the time if i touch them , cos im a clean freak

2. Sometimes, but not always every time I want to handle them since they covered by their cloth, but I do wash my hand if changing cloth/restring/ putting on the wig =D
      As long my hand is clean

3. I have really bad skin if I wash my hands every time I touched my dolls I'd be killing my skin. Not worth it. I use lotion even before touching my own dolls. They're mine and I never intend to sell them so who gives a crap what I do with my own dolls?

4. If my hands were oily or sweaty I'd wash them, but in general if they're nice and dry and not obviously dirty it would be okay, wouldn't it? For some reason I actually feel the doll would be the cleanest if you kept your hands as dry as possible, rather than focusing on washing them every time. That being said, I did notice today the head cap of a head I like playing with (yes, taking head cap on and off; very much fun indeed) was a bit greyer in the less smooth areas, and took to it with an eraser (because I don't have a magic eraser). It was an easy job though, so I think as long as you don't touch the face-up or other blushed spots with dirty hands, it's fine.

5. I try to wash my hands before handling my dolls, but I don't always... I do tend to pick them up around the waist, where they're dressed, to minimize oils. However, I definitely wash my hands (or babywipes, or Purell) before I start making with the grabby hands at meetups. It's only polite.

6. No, I don't wash my hands every time I handle my bjd's. If my hands are dirty, sure. But otherwise, nah. Resin is pretty darn tough and resilient, and it c an be cleaned if need be. Most of my bjd's are white skin even. Haven't noticed any skin oil or dirt on them yet, and I even got into handling them quite a bit more than normal while restringing a couple recently.

If I was worried about keeping them THAT pristine, they would be in a case for display only. But they are something I want to handle and enjoy, and so being overly-cautious with my girls would take a lot of that carefree enjoyment out of the hobby for me.

I would be considerate and wash my hands before handling other peoples dolls, of course. Unless they told me a head of time that they have the same mindset as me about it.

I have model airplanes that cost more than any of my bjds have. And I run the risk of crashing them every time I go out to fly. Same mindset there too. If I babied them and flew them extra careful they'd come down safe every time no matter what. But that's really not much fun. So instead I fly the heck out of them, and if the unfortunate should happen, I'm still happy I know I was enjoying my hobby as much as I could.

I can handle cleaning a smudge off one of my dolls on the off-chance I discover my hands weren't as clean as I had thought.
      Whether or not you wash your hands prior to handling them, just make sure to enjoy your dolls :)

7. If my hands are sweaty or oily then I tend to wash them before handling my dolls, but normally I don't worry about it. I have my dollies to enjoy and love and I don't plan on selling them :) (The ones i don't connect with from the start get special care though in case I do decide to sell them later)
      I do wash my hands before handling other peoples' dolls though if I don't know them very well. But when my family and friends are involved, I normally just pick up their dolls anytime and play with them and change their clothes without going to wash my hands first.

8. I came home from work one time and immediately did a box opening. I then realized that my hands were still dirty (I work in a warehouse). I was super pissed at myself for completely forgetting to wash my hands before I handled my new doll, but I looked her over and luckily didn't see any dirt (not even on her white underwear!). I have a problem with dry hands, so I don't have to worry about them being oily, but I do wait a little bit after putting on my hand creme.

I'm pretty vigilant about making sure my hands are clean before handling my dolls, even before the slip-up...now I'm even more careful.

9. I only wash my hands if I've been handling something particularly messy, if I've been eating, or they look obviously grubby. Otherwise I generally don't bother.

10. Yes. I do prefer wash my hands before touching my doll.

11. I'm usually very clean but, my hands tend to sweat a lot so yes.. every single time I'm gonna touch my dolls I wash my hands. Especially if I have to change her eyes and/or outfit. I also recently started working on restringing one of my girls and it's kinda nerve wrecking for me cuz there is so much grabbing involved that I actually stop halfway and wash my hands again! :( That and I'm a bit OCD...

12. At first, I used to be very careful handling my dolls. I washed my hands, sat them down on a towel, etc. But now.. I don't really mind. If my hands feel nasty, I wash them, but now I don't religiously wash them every time. The thought of them getting dirty used to upset me, but over time, I've come to be okay with holding them or other people holding them without washing their hands or even having smokey hands. My dolls aren't used for photography, so the thought of stains/marks/smudges doesn't upset me as much, only if they were on the face. I like when my family likes to hold my dolls and play around with them, so I don't mind as much anymore :)

13. I do because I have naturally sweaty hands, so I'm always worried I'll end up damaging them :\