1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Washing your hands before handling your dolls....

Sep 30, 2010

1. I don't have a doll myself yet, but I don't think I'd go wash my hands everytime.. I'd go wash them if they felt dirty or something xP
      I would, however, definitely wash my hands if I were to handle another persons doll if possible ^_^

2. I wash my hands pretty constantly anyway. My pets are mostly reptiles, and although there isn't really any salmonella risk (they are all captive bred), I still don't want one to smell another and think I'm food... so to avoid bites I have washed my hands like, once every hour or so out of habit... so it kind of carries over to dolls. I wash my hands before doing any aesthetic, but also if I'm opening a box for the first time, otherwise I'm not too worried as I am usually touching clothing rather than resin, and frankly, my hands are usually pretty clean anyways!

3. Personally I don't wash my hands to handle my dolls. I have never rubbed anything off on them before :B
      I do however check my hands and fingers before I handle someone else's doll. I'd rather stain my own than someone else's.
      When I've just done a faceup I do wash my hands. Pastel rubs on easily, but can be hard to remove, and it's usually all over the place after faceupping.

4. I wash my hands rather a lot, and always before I touch my dolls. Hehe, the other Albuquerque BJDers will giggle when they go to hand me one of their dolls to look at and I rush off to the nearest sink shouting back, "just let me wash my hands real fast!" ^_~
      If I happen to be doing something with my dolls that will take a long period of time, such as sewing an outfit, I will also stop and wash my hands during the process and then continue what I was doing.
      I don't really think that my dolls will be harmed by sweat or oils on my hands, but they can get dirty, and that bothers me. I do not like the feel of "greasy" resin. It looks shiny and feels horrible to me. So I wash my hands regularly. I would wash them anyway for other things, so it really doesn't feel out of place for me to wash them for this.

5. Yep, I'm a hand washer. I don't really allow just anyone to touch my dolls so whoever does knows they must wash their hands before coming by the dolls. I not only don't want dirty hands touching my dolls and their clothing but also since I live on a farm the ants seems to have a way of nesting in odd places. This happened to one of my Barbies and a camcorder so it's a wash or stay away from my stuff!

6. It's number one thing I did before handle dolls, because I unwant them to be dirty.
      But I did forget when I go to meeting, and I know that most people in Meeting didn't wash their hands too.

7. Yes, every single time.
      I wash my hands quite often anyways though, so of course I make no exceptions when I handle my own or someone else's dolls.
      I'm just very paranoid about staining :sweat

8. I usually wash my hands before handling my dolls. If I am opening a box, I usually wash them right after the shipping box has been opened (I hate that dirty gritty feeling of brown boxes!).

9. I don't worry about it, unless I know my hands are really dirty. I'm not worried about skin oils or things like that.

10. I care my BJD do not get dirty so I wash my hands before handling them when needed, besides the fact I wash my hands frequently. If my hands are already clean I do not wash them.

11. Usually I have to wash my hands before handling my dolls, I'm not so picky about other things but I work with a lot of materials that could be hazardous to resin.

12. Wash before handling -- oh yes, most definitely. I have a couple dolls without an MSC coating and I don't want to goober them up too much before I get around to painting them (Speaking of which, I oughta do something about that this afternoon, last sunny day of autumn and all). As for others' dolls, I always make sure my hands are clean, touch clothing, never faceups. If my hands are not as clean as I would like, I won't touch at all, no matter how excited I might be. I'm pretty sure that's appreciated all around. If I ever get around to starting my own doll meet, I'll be sure to bring a pair of cotton gloves, so I can snack and still play. ^_^

13. I frequently wash my hands before handling my dolls but that's only if they aren't fully coated with sealant. I make sure to coat their bodies at some point so I don't have to me so paranoid about my hands getting sweaty and I make sure to check them before I put them away so I can quickly clean them with a sponge and some water.

14. I always wash my hands before touching my dollies.
      I do a lot of craft stuff aside from dolls, and sometimes you just don't notice that little dot of color and them BAM stain on the doll.
      I wash my hands a lot regardless, but if i'm planning to handle my dolls I do wash my hands, even if I haven't eaten or done anything that might stain my skin.

15. I do not wash my hands directly before handling a doll if my hands are not in need of washing.

There are several reasons for this, the biggest one is that I am an OCD sufferer, and handwashing is my biggest issue. I've worked through it over several years, but back in high school ANY excuse I had to wash my hand was met with an entire multiple hand-wash ritual. I've had to very conciously force myself not to wash my hands more than once at a time, and to JUST wash my hands. I still wash them more than is strictly necessary, but I've been very careful NOT to get into the habit of washing my hands before I touch my dolls (unless they are dirty, of course).

The other big reason is that so much handwashing can really dry out hands, mine in particular. and I HATE the feeling of my hands being dry. It makes me start chewing on my fingers and hangnails and then I have to wash them because I've got saliva all over them and it's a horrible cycle.

16. I'm pretty worried about my doll being harmed by the oils on my hands, I usually rub them off on something before I handle him. I'm always scared when someone wants to touch him.

17. If I've just been doing some kind of activity that has caused me to possibly get stuff on my hands, I'll wash them before handling my dolls. Otherwise I don't worry about it. There's really no reason to be worried -- if a little dirt/oil from hands gets on a doll, it will wash right off again no problem.

18. When I first got Emma, I was too excited to think about doing anything else, except for opening that box. Once or twice, I have washed before touching her, because I had touched something that might have left something on my hands. But for a while, I haven't.

But I could understand doing it for the box opening.

19. I'm not obsessed with it, but I do usually wash my hands before handling my dolls.

20. These hands are always clean, because its easier to wash hands that to clean a BJD inside and out IMO