1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Washing your hands before handling your dolls....

Sep 30, 2010

1. I generally wash my hands before messing around with my own dolls, but if I'm handling anything that isn't my stuff I make sure I wash my hands. The last thing I want to do is get someone elses stuff dirty <_<

2. I usually wash my hands if I was coming back from outside because I didn't put MSC on my doll so I'm very concern if I will make her dirty or not.

3. My dolls are very pale/white so if I'm going to be spending some time playing, I decided that I really should wash my hands since everything shows up. I was carrying one around with me yesterday and I was just moving some luggage around and didn't think I had dirt on my hands, but then I held my doll and put her down and noticed she had a smudge on her leg. Good thing I caught it quick and wiped it off, but from now on I'll be more careful.

4. (All of you are making me feel so guilty about my own habits >.<) No, I don't usually wash my hands before handling my doll... Maybe once or twice, on occasion. T.B.H. I don't think my hands are dirty enough most of the time for me to bother with it, and I'm not that much of a clean freak, and I only bother with the actual doll when I'm putting clothes on it, or making it look prettier ^^' Otherwise, I just move the limbs through the clothing, and I can just sneak clothes in with the wash later ^^'

5. I always wash my hands before touching dolls. Even when arriving to a meet, I head to the restroom first to wash my hands before unpacking anything. ^^;

My hands get sweaty very easily so sometimes I even have to wash hands inbetween playing with dolls......=A=

6. Definitely!! As an artist I have pencil smudges/paint (etc.) all over my hands often. So I wash them all the time, I always make sure I never touch my dolls with dirty or oily hands!

7. Bah. If my hands weren't in something to make them dirty, the worst that's going to happen is some pet hair gets on them. I have a menagerie, existing in my house means you get some pet hair on yourself, so it would happen anyway. Oh, unless I need to touch a face and can't use the wig to protect the faceup from my fingers. In that case, it's just to get the natural oil off my fingers.

I WILL wash my hands carefully, however, if handling a doll with an all-white outfit on! I seriously dislike having to wash doll clothes, it's just too small and picky for me, so I would rather not have to.

8. If they feel dirty, I'll wash my hands before handling my dolls. At first I'd wash my hands with dish soap like I'd read to do, but now I don't worry about it much. Now if I think of it, I will, but otherwise I'm just not that concerned. Dolls can be cleaned, and I don't consider most of the faceups I have permanent either.

9. I work in an art gallery, and a lot of the things I sell have to be handled with cotton gloves to avoid damage, so I am used to thinking in those terms (*haet* wearing the gloves, tho!). Also, our sales desk is all-glass, and I see the marks my fingers leave, even I think they are totally clean!

My house is small, so it's easy enuff to wash up before touching my dolls, and far easier than cleaning off a careless mark.

10. I'm not fussy about washing my hands when I'm touching the dolls, per se, however I have a few white and severely limited outfits that I am neurotic about keeping clean. If one of those is on a doll or I am planning to put on a doll, I wash my hands, but if it's just the doll in a regular, less expensive and more replacable outfit, then I only wash if I've been doing something messy.

11. Unless I feel the dirt on my hands, I can always just Mr. Clean her. ^^

12. I would only wash my hands before touching Raven if I had done something specific to get them dirty.

Besides, she has a long-sleeved shirt and ankle-length leggings, so there's not much direct contact xD

13. Wow, still so many making replies, thanks guys, I added a mini story of my own disasters with dirt and stuff on the front page ^^

14. yeah, i noticed this actually when i play guitar
      i used to pick it up and play for hours everyday and never thought
      of washing my hands, eventually i noticed my strings and frets would
      get dirt build up on it and i knew it was from my hands of course xD
      so wash your hands ;D

15. I didn't religiously wash my hands before I handled my doll, it was more of if my hands felt dirty or if I'd eaten or anything. But then again, if they felt dirty in the slightest, or oily/sticky at all, I'd go and run them under water with some soap. And I like the feeling of clean hands x3 But I also cleaned my doll periodically so he never really got that dirty

16. I do wash my hands before messing with my doll. but the one thing i do is wear a pair of white gloves to mess with her face like if i am changing her wig or if i have to restring her, anything that has to do with her face i bought a pair of gloves just for that.

17. I'd never really thought it was an issue until recently, either... I've seen box openings where the owner goes, "Oh wait!" washes their hands, and runs back... I kinda thought it was strange until I started planning myown box opening. Will I wash my hands before I handle my doll? I used to think not, but now I probably will... just out of fera and safety. Almost like how new parents are so over-careful when handling their newborn baby, because they are afraid to break it xD However, I do not think I'll be washing my hands EVERY single time I play with/handle my doll. If there is something on my hands, yes I most definitely will, but if they're noticably clean, then nooo. We shouldn't be the over-protective parent all the time!

18. I don't if my hands feel clean, as I usually wash them fairly regularly anyway. But if I've just eaten, or they feel greasy, I'll wash them before handling my dolls. ...If I'm just moving them quickly I don't both though - I can just touch their clothes then. Clothes are much easier to wash than dolls. Haha.

If my dolls do get marks on them I just wash them off with liquid soap and warm water.

19. I prefer washing my hands with soap before handling my dollies, mainly because, even when you believe your hands are clean, there's always dust and fat over them. If I cannot, though, it's not a big problem.

When working on them, that's another question. And I always wear medical gloves :P

20. I'm glad I spotted this actually. It may just be my boy-brain, but I didn't think about it.

I don't have a doll currently but I don't think I'll be fussy if it's /my/ doll, but if I am handling someone elses I think it'd just be polite to wash my hands first. Or even just run alcohol gel over my hands to get rid of the oil. Just because it's my mistake someone else has to fix if it's not my doll. ><;