1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Washing your hands before handling your dolls....

Sep 30, 2010

1. i wash my hands before i touch my dolls because i'm afraid that their noses(tiny real puki)will be dirty.what can i apply to the faces to protect them from changing of the colour and dirt?

2. my doll is a naughty faery... he likes going campin and mountain bikin... dirt is just another badge of honour of a day well spent

3. I wash my hands often anyways, so it'll probably be something I do without thinking. =)

4. No, I don't wash my hands before handling my dolls - however I wouldn't pick them up after eating a packet of crisps for example, I'm reasonable. I play with my dolls quite a lot but it isn't planned, so I don't go off to wash my hands first I just grab them.

But, when a new doll arrives, I have a shower before opening it. It's a brand new doll, I want to be feeling fresh and clean when I open it! :lol:

5. Well, I've just had my first doll for two months so this might change after I get used to her (in other words lazy) but I almost always wash my hands before touching her. I'm more afraid of getting oils in her wigs though. Also, I do wash my hands a lot in general since I have a dog and I'm allergic...

6. I've been collecting BJDs for a little over 4 years now and I still always wash my hands before handling them.

7. I don't consciously wash my hands before touching my dolls. I touch them a lot. I'm always playing with them and holding them. However, I'm pretty germaphobic about my hands and if they feel the slightest bit grimy they get a scrub down, so they get washed a lot, lol.

8. I do indeed wash my hands before handling my dolls. I like squeaky clean dollies <3

9. ha ha ha ha i guess i'm odd but i don't always wash my hands before handling my dolls. that being said i don't touch them if i need to wash my hands, i just don't make a special point to wash my hands before touching them.

10. Not too obsessive about washing my hands before touching my kids. If they feel dusty or dirty, then sure, I would go wash them... but if I've just been sitting at the computer and typing on the keyboard, and decided that I wanted one of them with m, then I'd just go pick one up.

I -have- washed my hands during a box opening or two though, mainly once I've gotten to the 'bubble wrap mummy'. The cardboard boxes, plastic wrap and even the bubble wrap can be dusty, and pulling off layers of dusty bubble wrap can make your fingers icky, so I've had to wash my hands before getting to touch the actual resin and freeing his/her head.

But more importantly... how do you feel about other people touching your dolls with unwashed hands?

Again, I'm not obsessive, and if the doll's wearing clothes that covers most of the resin I wouldn't worry too much - though food-stained hands are a no-no. And I usually give the person's hands a quick once-over glance to make sure. Most of the time, other people who touch my dolls are friends though and its likely we've been to the same environments so I know how clean/dirty our hands are... and my friends know better than to touch a face. For that I'm thankful

11. I always wash my hands with oil-free soap before handling my dolls (even for just a second). When I'm not playing with dolls I wash with a moisturizing soap and apply cream to my hands. This keeps my hands healthy so that the hobby doesn't interfere with my skin. I also noticed that since I entered the hobby, I've been getting colds less often. Washing your hands is a better habit than one may think!

Edit: I won't let anyone touch my dolls with unwashed hands. It sounds anti-social, but all my good companions understand and don't hesitate to do so.

12. I wouldnt say I do it everytime im going to play/measure for cloathing, but I useualy do if feel particuarly dirty or have been out of the house all day at work and sutch

13. I make sure my hands are clean but i wouldn't go wash them if they didn't look clean enough. I usually give my doll a bleach towel wipe down. to to get rid of the grim and dirt that it collected sitting on my fish tank.

14. Yes, I almost always wash my hands before handling my dolls; not just my BJDs, but any of my dolls.

15. Yeah.... I don't wash my hands like EVERY time. I mean if I have some gunk on my hands or I was messin' around in something smelly or sticky, I'll wash my hands.
      If they don't smell, and have no foreign substance though I don't bother. If nothing is going to rub onto my boys then I figure why waste the time really. c: I've had no real problems with keeping them clean.

16. I wash my hands. I feel like I'm getting them dirty if I don't.

17. I wash my hands before I touch any of my dolls. Sometimes I feel a bit obsessive over it, but I have to wash them. I don't like other people to touch my dolls without washing their hands either.

18. I usually wash my hands before 'playing' with my dolls. But I do touch them without washing my hands, then I just ensure that my hands aren't greasy (and I avoid touching the resin, but only the clothing).

19. Depends on how dirty my hands are. Usually, I just use some hand sanitizer. Simple enough. :)

20. Echoing the thing that I wash my hands if they feel greasy etc - although since I usually pick the doll up by the (clothed) waist, I have no problem moving the doll with greasy hands.

On the other hand, as an ebil smoker, I always wash my hands to get the smell off. There is NO WAY I'm letting that stuff transfer onto my doll.