1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Washing your hands before handling your dolls....

Sep 30, 2010

1. ....washing hands is almost religious in this hobby. If u dont, your a heathen.

2. The only time I don't wash my hands is if I showered not too long ago and have yet to handle food, pets, or drawing materials.
      Any time else, I at least make sure to clean them off on a damp towel, but if my hands feel gross at all, or even if I've applied lotion within the last hour then I'll wash them! I'm not too paranoid about my EID boy, but my girl has a vinyl body, white no less, so I'm VERY careful with her. Though usually after handling resin, I'll whip out the magic eraser, just in case.

3. I generally do wash my hands before I touch my dolls. I don't want them to get any oils from my skin or any lotion or perfume, etc. that I might be wearing. Mostly it's because I'm lazy and it's easier to wash my hands than to unstring and wash my dolls, so I like to keep them as clean as possible!

4. I'm really OCD with how my hands "feel", so I wash my hands a ridiculous amount anyway, but I still wash them before doing anything with my doll. I haven't had her for very long either though, so I'm not accustomed to what transfers easily or what will show as "dirty" so I'm extra cautious.

5. I usually wash my hands before handling my dolls because it helps keep them from getting damaged. I also use hand lotion frequently and washing that off before touching my dolls prevents any possible reaction with their face-ups or clothing. When I'm out and about, I usually have a wet wipe in my purse to use before handling dolls too, especially someone else's at a meet-up. ;)

Juli DC :)

6. I usually only wash my hands before touching them if I've eaten or otherwise feel like they're not as clean as they could be. Otherwise I'm not too fussed about it.

7. I was my hands like crazy before handling my dolls, actually, the scent of my soap has become synonymous with my dolls! lol I smell the soap and immediately think of them ^_^

8. Yup I was my hands. I'm OCD so that may have something to do with it. I think it's just a good practice to wash your hands before handling them.

9. Quite frankly no. My hands are dry enough already without me washing them everytime I decide to pick up my dolls. If I feel my hands are grimy or that I've been handling something like ink/grease/etc though, I will. And, of course, I always wash my hands before going to a meet where I may be touching others dolls.

10. Like some others have said, I am very sensitive to how my hands feel and tend to wash them a ton. My hands are usually clean enough that I don't feel like I have to wash them to touch my doll, but if they feel even the slightest bit icky I wash them first.

I won't touch him at all if I've put on lotion within the past hour or two.

11. I like to wash my hands before I handle my dolls just because I don't want to get them dirty. If I feel like my hands are clean I won't wash them because I don't want to dry out my skin. In general though, if my doll is unclothed and has been body blushed, I will only touch it with clean hands. If they are clothed I tend to only touch the clothed areas since the clothes are easy to wash.

12. I make sure my hands are clean for sure. Sometimes, I do use white glove to touch them just in case my hands are too oilly or dusty. But I do feel more safe after I wash my hands.

13. I'm a fanatic about washing my hands especially before handling my dolls or their clothing.

14. Yes, yes..washing of hands before touching/handling my dolls is a must..especially when i'm changing their clothes..dirts give me headaches..:|

15. Oh thank goodness there's a thread about this!
      I was wondering what to do when I get mine!!
      I wash my hands every. single. time when I play on consoles, DS, gameboy, ps2 controller, wiimote, genesis controller, etc...
      So I was wondering what I would do once I get my BJDs. I decided washing hands is a must.
      Should I wear gloves?
      I wear gloves when handling clocks and pocketwatches, I was wondering if I should do the same for my BJDs. Any help anyone? I don't want grease marks or shiny dollies or anything but it sounds like such a hassle that I might just not bother touching them ¬.¬

16. I dont wash "every single time" but generally I do wash my hands before handling. :) I never know if theres a little dirt or film of something on my hands that i dont want to get on my resin. I dont want any icky fingerprint smudging. :D

17. Oh nooooo. I'm constantly in a state of general grubbiness, and so don't really expect (or want) my dolls to be immaculate too! As far as I'm concerned, my dolls are meant to be handled, played with, cuddled, fiddled with, and all kinds of things at any time of day, in any state of cleanliness. I don't care about dirt or marks. Besides, I handle my dolls WAY too much to wash my hands each time. It would be up to OCD standards!
      To be honest, my hands are never filthy enough for me to actually care about marking them, and even if I did, that's what Magic Eraser is for. The idea of wearing gloves then touching my dolls is absolute anathema to me. I can't see the point, I must say. My dolls are for me to hold, to touch and feel! Why would I want that barricade between me and my resin, as if they're somehow sacred precious diamond objects that I will somehow defile? For God's sake, they're my own creations, I'll do whatever I want with them!

18. with my own dolls I only do if i have eaten or anything but I do generally wipe my hands off before I pick up my dolls. If someone ask me as long as they were nice about it I would wash my hands before holding anyones doll. I do wipe my hands off before I touch anyone else doll thougth if given permission to touch it and never the face up.

19. Not really, I'm a freak about hygiene, so my hands are usually washed all the time, im not worried that i will get anything bad on my dolls. And when it comes to my friends touching my dolls, im not worried that they will get anything on my dolls, one of my best friends is a fellow collector, so she knows that her hands should be clean before she touches them, and the only other friend i have that knows about my dolls is afraid to touch them since she doesn't want to accidentally break them since the price makes her head spin.

20. Absolutely. There's no reason not to take thirty seconds to scrub up before a visit with the dolls. My hands are probably tinted in hair-product or skin oils at any time; I've got dyed-purple bangs & am constantly shoving them out of my face. ^^ It's just easier to wash up + put on a hairband before dealing with the dolls.

But I only bother with gloves when I'm taking their heads off or changing their eyeballs.... anytime where I'll have to make actual contact with the faceup. I've got a lot of LE faceups here that I'd prefer to keep nice, so it's just as easy to take 2 seconds to put that glove on before I get the head-hook.