1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Waste of Money?"

Nov 27, 2009

1. My mom used to tell me it's a waste of money, but it turned out she just didn't understand what the dolls were. She was thinking they were like barbies and meant for kids to play with. After I explained to her what they are and showed her a bunch of pictures, she stopped saying it's a waste. Now she just doesn't understand why I want a doll.

2. When I tolod my mom the price of the doll I wanted she said no and refused to talk about it. I bought him anyways and she said it's my money. Now that i'm close to buyong a seconde she seems less hostile. My dad unders better because he is into cars and what not and they cost alot. People can't just buy what is needed to live. You need to feed your soul too:) (sorry for cheesyness)

3. My parents also say it's a waste of money. They encouraged me to get a hobby to have something to do after school, but they never bargained for an expensive one lol.

4. exactly. couldn't have said it better myself.

5. Did you sell this Soom and show you didn't lose a penny? I am hoping you did actually get a bit more than you paid seeing Beryl's are limited. Facts are some people get the limited, hang on to them in pristine condition and resell for a nice profit.

6. i've had people say that but luckily my friends understand, and really that's all that matters to me. As far as i'm concerned everyone else is just a closed-minded fool who thinks to highly of thier own spending ways.

7. When I told my boyfriend that I had actually bought a doll, he actually said waste of money. That was an epic argument, considering he has the ps3, large flat screen to go with it, the $1000 dollar computer...
      But after she arrived, his view changed completely. If stupid me hadn't said "dont spend alot on me for Christmas." He apparently would have given me a check for half the amount of a Dollshe I've been saving for.

They make me happy, enough said.

8. My mom says that quite often, like randomly when I'm taking my dolls out to play and she happens to walk in. It's still a little heartbreaking but I'm getting used to it.
      As others have said, why did she buy this amazing 10 seats couch that fills up half of the living room when we had a very nice but smaller one before, just because she thought the dog didn't have enough space? No one ever sits on it anyhow, because it's full of dog fur.

9. I've had numerous people say this to me recently and if you just shrug it off, people tend to leave you alone. You can also tell them that this is your hobby, not theirs and you're not going around bashing on the things they enjoy so you would prefer it if they didn't do it to you. That usually shuts em up XD

10. My own opinion, is that if you have the money to spare outside of basic necessities and want to buy something for yourself that you'll love? Well then its not a waste of money!
      Sadly my family isnot seeing this thw same way. I will have 900 dollars saved up as of January 1st. I planned on ordering my first female doll! But I have in the past month ordered some clothes, eyes, and a head. Despite the fact I'm 24 and make my own money, my mother likes to check my baank account. I basically got chewed out for my paypal transactions, and told not to waste anymore of my money on 'that stuff'.

So now I'm not sure what to do. Still beleive since i have the spare cash and should buy what I want regardless of someone considering it a waste? Of course!...... but have to deal with the harping and complaints.... for now it put a damper on my excitement to ordermy next doll...

11. don't worry...when i was a kid, I like sanrio so much. While other parents buy her daughter one, not my parents. They are quite thrifty. Only special occasion like birthday and it was even the cheap one. I mostly bought my sanrio with my own allowance money. I don't care of what my family thought about it.

1st It made me happy
      2nd I don't ask for more money

When first I saw people with expensive doll in internet, I thought like my parents: waste of money...but then, I see what I can do with the doll and it brings happiness in me...I'm now too, wasting money like you guys (^.<)...

I just think: as long as I purchase with responsibility (like asking more money because my money runs out because of purchasing dolls), that's ok...

What I think a waste is: when a spoiled person only gets it and not appreciate it because it's too easy to get...so after a while, she/he just put it somewhere without care she/he can't even remember.

I always appreciate stuff I bought with responsible attitude...(i still have my more than 20 years Sanrio's letter set...I wonder, my doll will survive that long (^.^)...i hope they will always be in great condition)

12. When people tell me that, i don't really know what to think. Sometimes i even agree with them...cause i myself don't even know if it's a waste of money or not.

13. I tell those who are horrified of how expensive dolls are that you can easily spend that money for a couple of evenings in a bar. That always shuts them up.

If dolls make you happy, then it is not a waste of money. :)

14. Well, you could do it the blunt way. Like with my previous hobby of manga collecting - when mum mentioned the amount of money I spent on them, I turned around and said; "Well, it's better than spending the money on drugs, alcohol, smoking - at least you can see where my money goes."

Besides, if you enjoy it enough, then you can deal with the annoying peoples :P

15. Whatever hobby you are in or almost whatever you buy, someone will always tell you that that is a waste of money for people's prefferences are different. Though, as some have stated here, it is a lot better to spend money on dolls rather than drugs, alcohol, etc. but I am sure that my parents will reply w/ "But it is BETTER to save that money for the future." >.> Yeah, I always get that answer whenever I tell them that it is better to spend on drugs, etc. ^_^:

16. I understand how that feels.... I have never been interested in dolls, I was the kind of kid that tore them apart even (You should have seen the poor things XD).

MY mom only knew about my Dolls when I receive the first head, and it being only a head it did not help xP

They still think its a waste of money and I really hate it and I had a little breakdown at my 20th birthday as they right down laughed at me about it. But I try to ignore it as best as I can as they do not understand it. They just cannot get the doll = kid thing out of their heads and I dont think they ever will.
      The best thing to do is ignore the comments and looks, and try to find some friends to talk about it instead =3
      Meet-ups are awesome for that ;3

17. This has been a really common reaction amongs my friends "Why´d you spend so much on somethig that useless!!!"
      In my opinion that is absolutely not true! Useless?? To ME a snowboard for exsample would be useless, as to someone who snowboards needs it in order to snowboard.
      And I think it is my own business that what I use my money.
      I happen to like this, live with it.

Thou I have few so sweet friends tha have said things like "so when´s the baby going to come?" and just left it there.
      Few have asked "what do you do with it?
      being evil I´ve said "I stare it in the dark and giggle to myself" :lol:

18. I wish I was english and could use that sentence XD

I havent really talked about my dolls to my friend (I dont really have that much anyway XD) so I dont know if they would say anything........ but even in the doll community, some people seem to think its really weird to buy 6 dolls at one time.....

19. My mom says i should not spend that much money on a doll bc it will be a waist. I do not think it will be bc i will enjoy her and anybody who tells anybody that their hobby is a waist of money might be true but not to the person with the hobby, also when my mom says thing like that i say "well you wanna drop 500 on a crickcut and all it does is cut paper lol)

20. I've been told that... and usually I just smile and keep my opinions to myself.
      Although occasionally I do like to respond that now my doll will kill you in your sleep... ah the joys of being evil. XD

Comments like that usually don't bother me, I've been told that so many times between my dolls, and my model horse collection, and my guitars that it just goes in one ear and out the other. As long as the doll/object has value of some sort to me then I don't believe that it is a waste.