1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Waste of Money?"

Nov 27, 2009

1. I only view anything in this hobby as a waste of money if a) you could've really used that money on something else (like rent or other bills), or b) if what you get just doesn't, for whatever reason, fit. There are more than enough debates, discussions, and discourses for the former, so onto the latter!

Mostly, I'm inclined to say it's your money, spend it as you like, in whatever way makes you happy. You worked hard for that money, you've handled everything you needed to, and if you have some left over and start saving up, or you're lucky enough to have enough to outright buy your doll, why should what anyone says stop you?

However, if someone is buying the doll for you, I can sorta see why that might be something of a problem. Still, if they're agreeing to spend that much of their money on you, on whatever you see fit, then they obviously love you very much (staying away from any other reasons they might do this to avoid rambling and loosing track of the conversation...). They want you to be happy. Oh, sure, maybe they weren't expecting you to want a ~$500 doll, but if it makes you happy (and improves your ability to sew, use common sense to look up/deal with doll issues yourself, improve your artistic skill) they shouldn't have much to complain about.

Of course, I tend to skim the issue whenever the topic of how much my dolls comes up. My family won't understand, and I don't want to be treated to a rant about bills and debt and using every single dime/penny I earn to go to bills. I fully understand this bill thing, and don't need anyone shouting at me about it, or making me feel selfish for wanting to reward myself when I'm the only one in the household making these kinds of sacrifices.

2. Not a waste of money if you recieve great pleasure from it, and as stated before, if you can afford it and still pay your bills, feed your kids, and keep a roof over your head.

3. I'm too afraid to even TELL my parents how much these things cost. -_-
      But somehow I let it slip to my mother, any every so often when we're talking about other things, she'd be all, "People will buy anything. Some people will even buy dolls that cost over hundreds of dollars," and won't target me directly, which kinda pisses me off.
      One side of my family is all, "If you like it, you buy it. Don't look at the price."
      And the other is crazy about saving money.

And really, some people who aren't into the hobby should really take note of what they say. I told my friend I got a doll, and she was all, "Ooh, are they one of those reaally expensive ones?" and "I promised myself I wouldn't spend money on things that didn't have a use, except for food."

Yes, they're expensive. But other people spend just as much or even more on purses and other hobbies... who is one to say "they're a waste of money?" Is it really a waste if it makes you happy and you're getting something out of it?

Sometimes I don't even wanna explain this hobby to people who don't get it, because to me, I feel like they'll never get it.

4. Simply put, I don't take kindly to someone else telling me how to spend my money. The only person I justify my spending to is my husband.

5. ^This. I find it interesting how quickly people will judge others instead of looking at themselves :| For my mother I have to bring up her collection of HUNDREDS of European designer shoes.

Also, with certain friends of mine who are not financially stable (read: broke as a joke) I actually refrain from bringing BJDs up. I consider it a luxury for myself to even be LOOKING at these things and when I know other people are scraping for rent I don't want to seem like I'm ignoring their plight OR shoving their noses in my own good fortune :eusa_sile

6. Oh god.
      this reminds me of the other day I got told this x.o It's starting to get one my nerves really bad now
      It's been 4 years since i've founded and wanted a BJD and i promised myself it was going to be the first thing I'd save up for with my first real job! So I did and I was so proud of making my first ever grand as a 16 yr old ^-^; may not be much to you guys who work lots! but it was the first time i ever had that much money in my hands and I was bouncing off the walls to order my first dollie! I told my friend and she called me crazy at first, but i just laughed and said "well you know me!" XD
      Then after a week, i ordered him, went to school and my friend ask "did you buy that doll?" and I happily replied with "yes! finally! i can't believe it!" 8D
      and her remark just had to be "Oh god. I can't believe you'd waste your money like that, Atleast I accomplished something with mine! I bought movies, sweaters, shoes and even got a manicure!"
      I seriously stood there standing thinking in my head (you couldn't save up for anything! Blew your money off with every paycheck and i waited a two months for one thing >_____>; thanks for telling me I didn't accomplish anything)
      in the end I just smiled and said "well i think i accomplished lots!"
      and continued my way through the school.

But people are so ignorant sometimes, not to realize how much work some people put into getting these doll to say they are a waste of money. >w<

7. I know this is exactly what my parents are going to say so I havvent even told them I want a doll yet.

I did tell my friends though.
      A few of them got excited and I got a whole lot of "Why would you want those creepy dolls?"

I acctually had one friend who talked to me for about 30 minutes trying to convince me that the doll was "a waste of money" and "highly overpriced".
      She even told me I wouldnt do anything with the doll because there was nothing to do pretty much...
      She also informed me she would never be able to look at me again.

It felt like I was stabbed in the heart with a very dull and rusty blade.
      Especially because I consider her one of my closest friends...

I'm still saving for DollnDoll's Bella though.
      I even told her that.

Im not useually a very social person because I have problems with meeting new people but with this hobby, Im alredy talking to new people, learning, and expanding my creativity!

I plan on starting a Doll blog and writing stories when I get her and give her a faceup.

If someone doesnt share a same interest, they won't share a similar enthusiasm.
      They very well may consider your intrests a "waste of money".

8. I actually came across this same thing only it wasn't my mother telling me that it was a waste.

I have wanted a doll for years but haven't brought myself to buy one because I think about all the other things I could be buying with $100+ dollars. I would fall in love only to see the price and die. :...(

That's why I went with a doll that was only $120 with shipping! It isn't too expensive and I can work my way up to buying a more expensive one. I say in the end you have to do the things that make you happy, but of course won't harm anyone, etc. I wanted one so I bought one and that's that. Will I have buyer's remorse? NEVER... you should never regret anything because everything is an experience.
      ;)

9. I think dolls are a waste of money if the only reason you're buying one is to join a trend or look cool. Spend your cash on something you actually like, you will appreciate time after time and you won't regret buying!

10. What consistutes a waste of money? Well a waste is tossing something away. People used to tell me that they wouldn't pay to play an online game. It was costing me twenty dollars a month. For that price I can go see a two hour movie. Once.

How much relative enjoyment would I get from each? During the activity, (watching the movie, or playing the game) it was the same. However for that twenty dollars I get hours more entertainment out of the online game.

When it comes to spending on entertainment it really is "time vs money vs enjoyment"... I see a number of Gold Label Barbie dolls as a waste of money. Because they are going to sit on a shelf... and look pretty.

I would not get that much enjoyment for that much time for that amount of money.

Meanwhile I play with my doll several times a week, paid one lump sum... and spend hours more dreaming up things to do with my doll. (wigs to make, clothing to make, props to make.. what have you)

I am getting my times worth, I have gotten _far_ more then my enjoyments worth... So no. It's not a waste of money.

11. when i bought my Zuzu Delf my sister wanted one too but at the same time she was thinking about if " ..something little is worth so much money.." hell yeah, it is x )
      I think everyone is spending money for "something". Some are buying cars (why are buying such an expensive one, the other one has four wheels, too._.) some like to go out for dinner ( why are you giving away so much money for food.. you eat it and its gone.. )
      and we are buying dolls.. Sure, first my dad was shaking his head but after i told him that you might even sell a doll for more money than you´ve spent on it (after a few years if its sold out already everywhere) he said " oh.. so it´s kind like an investigation !" and that seems to be fine with him x )

12. My mother thinks everything I get is a waste of money. . .
      But it's a hobby. And It's not like I'm putting EVERY dollar into it.
      I think as long as you're responsible (paying bills instead of buying dolls) then it's okay.. =\
      As long as you enjoy what you purchase, it's not a waste. And that's what outsiders think, probably. "I don't enjoy this. it's a waste of money" =\

13. Most of my family thinks it's a waste of money (except for my brother, grandfather, and I think cousin) They all say what other things I could have done with the doll money instead of buying the doll. I'm really sick of all this and keep on stating it's my money I can do what I want with it.

14. I would be upset if the people closest to me told me that getting my doll is a waste of anything, be it time, or money or whatever. But I guess I got lucky.
      I've been showing pictures and talking about BJD's for a few months now. At first my fiancee asked me something along the lines of "why do you want a doll?" I told him the truth. I've been wanting to sew clothing for a while, but I don't want to spend massive amounts of money on fabrics to make full size messes :) He knows I've been looking at Barbies for over a year, not sure of what to do, because Barbie is so small that I wouldn't learn much IF I even get to fit her properly. Now he saw a practical purpose for the doll, one that he can understand, and he's ok with it.

The only people that said I was nuts straight out and didn't bother to even think about anything I tried to say were a couple of girls at work. But they are too worried about pretending to be mature when they really aren't. But, they don't really matter in my life anyway. I just let them rant till they were done, and kept doing my thing :)

The rest of the people at work were interested and curious, and some were probably too polite to comment or knew I wouldn't care about their particular opinions lol and the others that I spent time with at lunch, before and after work, went home together, etc, they were genuinely interested and asked questions, and got all excited when I showed them wigs and boots and clothes I bought before I even ordered the doll.

After that came the fun part. When I finally ordered the doll (have my guy to thank for that, since I got laid off from my job and now he is supporting both of us and he still said I could get her). Since then I've been doing so many creative things that he can see that she was worth it and she's not even here yet. He is amazed at the dresses and things. His friends are, too. Heck I'm amazed at some of the stuff I've come up with so far.

I was afraid of what my family would think/say/etc. so I talked to them about the dolls, showed pics and stuff (I live in Canada, my family lives in the Caribbean) but I never told them the doll had been ordered till about a week ago, AFTER they had seen pictures of dresses and things and inquired about all the nice crafty things I'm making :) Now they can't say the doll is a waste either, because it's helping me be creative.

So I think for the most part I've been lucky to be spared having to defend myself on this one, and I'm glad. I haven't felt this creative in many many many years, and honestly, I missed it. And I am enjoying it way too much to give it up :)
      But if my family OR my fiancee opposed, that would have killed it for me, and THAT would have been a waste to me.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I quit smoking a few weeks after I realized I wanted a doll because I didn't want to ruin her, or make her smelly or even more yellow sooner. About a week after that I took down my (supposed to be white) drapes to wash them, and realized they were YELLOW. That was disgusting, and gave me more resolve not to go back to smoking. I know my aunt didn't believe me when I told her I had quit a few months ago, but after I told her that yes, I did order her, I mentioned that originally, what got me thinking about quitting was the doll, because keeping her in a "smoke box" would damage her. My aunt didn't know what to say to that. That shut her up :D

15. I've only had one person tell me that BJDs were a waste of money - but it was extremely surprising to hear it from him. The one who said it was my uncle .. who has over 100 Dale Earnhardt & Dale Earnhardt Jr collectible cars, pictures, jackets, etc., etc.

I get that dolls and cars are different, but I would have thought a fellow collector of anything would understand.

No one else around me has called it a waste of money, but they are a bit quick to whine about the price - which is actually really understandable. They are very pricey, but they're also worth every penny as long as you enjoy having them around.

16. Nah. A waste of money is spending $1,500 on a tricked-out computer that'll be obsolete as soon as you open the box and will last maybe 3-5 years. At least BJDs hold their value. They're investments, really =o

17. My husband and my children (4 grown boys) think I am crazy to spend so much money on dolls, but they would think I was crazy if I spent it on shoes, or clothes, or anything that they weren't interested in. If I spent $2k on computer goods, electronics, DVDs or video games....that would be ok. So, I just ignore them. It's my money. I spend it the way I want. I love my dolls and I will get more when I can.

18. I'm also very lucky that my lovely family are very supportive and don't ever say that my dolls are a 'waste of money'. We're a family of collectors, so my dolls fit in nicely here.

19. my mom got mad the first time i introduced her to this hobby screaming about how its big of a waste of money and such. but when she cooled off and realized its not more expensive than most collecters or hobbies, she was cool with it. even when I was first introducted to the hobby i was thinking "damn you can almost buy a car with that money."

its to be expected with non-dolly people. most people are going think it werid/too expenive no matter what. but ulimately its your money and you can do what you please. who gives a hoot what they think? but i'm pretty used to being a local werido in my town anyway!

20. My ex-fiancee was always "You know what you could get whit that money?" Yes, i know and i want my boys and Shula. And next doll is on saving. Then again, i loved my grandmoms attitude: "Well, atleast you dont use those money in drugs and alcohol".
      Every one has something what is waste of money, mayby its bying dvd's, games, computer, new car when old is still good..
      Hey! What goos is money if you dont waste it time to time?