1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Waste of Money?"

Nov 27, 2009

1. Well, reading through this thread I couldn't help but think "of course it's a waste of money!" We don't NEED these dolls on any real level. We don't NEED everything that goes with them, either. A starving child without parents or a home NEEDS the money we toss at these resin sculpts more than we could ever conceive. So yes, it's a waste of money. It's the proof of how wealth is unfairly spread across the world.

I thought everyone was aware of this.

But then we've been lucky enough to be born in a home, a place and with people around us that has given us the chance to earn money we can waste as we please. It doesn't help anyone that we sit in a dark corner, eaten up by bad guilt because we have it better than other people. The fact that we can even debate whether we want to use 1000dollar (that's more or less what a doll has sucked out of your wallet after purchase, clothing, wigs, eyes, face ups etc) on a resin copy of a human, says it all. As long as we are aware of how lucky we are and stop taking everything for granted, I think we manage to keep a certain perspective.

Dolls are definitely a huge waste of money, but as mentioned by people above, so are expensive clothing, brand name products, spas, cars, badly bred and sickly pets etc etc etc in infinitive.

2. It's all just value perception. What we see as every bit worth the money, other people can't understand. Like my husband buys and paints warhammer figures, which can be incredibly expensive... a lot of people don't understand that either. I don't understand the people who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on shoes and purses or golf equipment or spoon collections or or or...you know? I don't care if people think what I collect is a waste of money. It has value to me.

3. " a waste of money" i really get tired of hearing that phrase, with a passion. and i have had that said that to me on many occasion, but everyone has a vice and this is mine, all my bills are paid i don't drink i don't smoke, so i save some money here and there, and buy my dolls... i have a friend who smokes, and she said she would never waste that much money on something so stupid and pointless, so i pointed out that she spends about 70-100 a month on her smokes and at least i have something beautiful to show for it, instead of yellowed finger nails and really bad breath :)

4. I consider skiing a horrible waste of money. The gear (even if you rent it), the lift tickets, BEING COLD (which I hate). Colossal waste of money... to me. Just one of my dolls is less than most skiers would pay in a season. This is my hobby, they don't like it... I don't care. ^___^

5. When i told my fiancé i wanted to buy a doll, a little more than a year ago he objected and told me they were a waste of money etc. Eventually he realized how important they were to me ,and when i kept talking about them he knew it was something i was serious about.
      Now i have my doll, and he's getting one too :3

My mom was like that at first, saying "What are you going to do with a doll, you're a grown woman!". But she did agree that my money was my own, and even if she still kind of shakes her head at me, she DOES get excited about the customization and clothing of the doll. However, she DID warn me about my stepdad, saying i should not tell him. He's a very stubborn mand and probably wouldn't understand, even if his "toys" and hobbies (motocross..) cost way more than mine :D

6. Most of the people, likely all XD, will say you is a waste of money. But really? That is what money is for! I've just recently bought mine, still not at home, and I was really afraid of telling my dad how much it cost. But actually he said, oh it's good! you can spend your money in whatever you like. And I was like OMG! almost everone said the opossite and I didn't expected this response from him.

And well he really is right, is my hobby and everyone has hobbies, my dad do scale models of antique cars and is almost as expensive as having a BJD, mi bro buys videogame consoles and games, my mom y think.. clothes? Anyway is just that people think: rockband and xbox= $300 oh its ok! BJD= +$200 WTF, simply because they are used to cheap plastic Barbies and dolls.

I'm really thankful of my dad understanding :3 He even liked my baby X3!!

7. Hell yeah! Xd

8. Even when people who do not really know this hobby say "That is too expensive for a doll" I understand there are sometimes they mean a waste of money with it. In fact, it does not bother me. It is just a point of view, but I understand it hurts when a close person to you tells so. In some of these cases I think time is which shows to that close people this is important for us. Many hobbies may be and surely are seen as wastes of money everyday. Within this hobby, in my opinion, the big clue is understanding, trying to understand why, trying to see what a BJD means to the person who wants it.

9. I for one would just point out that makeup and other such things are a waste of money. But then again, I do think to logically myself. I bought one of my dolls and my friends would NOT leave me alone about it, but I tried not to let it get to me. My money, my choice.

10. My sister hates Jareth. When she first saw him she snorted and said I wasted my money. I dont think some people understand what it is that BJD's do for us doll lovers.

11. Before I started collecting dolls (about five years ago) I used to spend any spare money I had for myself on clothes,shoes & handbags..which of course are pretty much worthless once worn out a bit..
      Now most of my spare income goes on my dolls and I think they are never a waste of money!They make me happy and unlike a pair of designer jeans dont tend to lose value ~ at first my hubby thought I was bonkers spending so much on dolls but as I pointed out they can be a good investment and now he supports my hobby especially as he sees how happy it makes me ;)

12. alot of things are a waste of money in this world. but i've never regretted buying my dolls ^_^ never

13. Well I say to them...
      "People waste even MORE money on things they really don't need. Chandeliers are a good example....just a fancy looking ceiling lamp, don't really need it because you could just get a plain old ceiling lamp but people still buy them because they look nice."
      They still go and say that I'm wasting my money on something because I like how it looks, then i usually counteract with my final blow.
      "It's for artistic side."
      then they finally shut up...

14. Hey, it's like spending money on consoles and new games (depending on what console can reach $60 a pop). To each their own ;)

15. When I got my first doll my parents couldn't understand it because I used to rip the heads off all my barbie dolls when i was younger. And even my best friend thought it was crazy because I tend to like something for a little while and then after that I kind of give up on the hobbie. So I can see where their concerns were. But hearing everyone I cared about telling me it was pointless and a waste of money. I hated it. But I am stubborn, and the more they insisted it was a pointless waste of money. the more I clung to my first boy and brought him with me everywhere. And then I got my second doll. Everyone still rolled their eyes at me, but I'm now up to 11 dolls and they all just pass it off as it being me. I did the same thing when i started watching anime. If it's something that's strange and out of the ordinary and something that no one else in my family has done or ever will do, it's not really frowned upon but they all just kind of roll their eyes at it. But they also don't know how to keep their mouths shut if the find it weird. So all in all, I just look at myself as the black sheep of the family.

16. Everyone is different. Everyone values a number of different things and unfortunately, sometimes people like to hold their values over someone else's. I like to think about it using sports as an example. Sports are a form of leisure and entertainment. Sure, if you play them yourself you get the benefits that come from physical exercise, but just watching them, or paying to go watch a game? It can also be something that can fall under the title of a "waste of money and time".

Because think about it, you're either paying your T.V. company or a ticket booth to let you watch something that basically has little to no serious impact on your life. Sports are a waste of money, because instead of paying individuals who deserve millions of dollars a year (such as teachers and other leaders and heroes within our community), our society deems it acceptable to instead fund those who are simply doing something for entertainment.

So I would personally advise you not to take it too much to heart. Just because society doesn't advertise the hobby of collecting BJDs as much as the "glory" of sports, it doesn't make it any less valuable to the person who cherishes the hobby and has a personal connection to it.

17. I am going through the "Mom says its a waste of money!" phase right now. When I told her I was planning on getting a doll, it was almost as if all of her hard earned money was going down the drain. She made me feel completely stupid; like, what was I thinking? Thousands of dollars for dolls? This scenario has happened at least 10 times in the past 5 years. This time, however, I'm dead serious about getting my first doll.

And beside, money comes and goes. It doesn't really matter what you spend it on; it will get spent in the long-run. Might as well be something you enjoy!

18. They're not dolls as in toys - they're moveable pieces of sculpture! Just looking at my dolls rests my eyes and refreshes my mind, and for that, I consider them worth any amount I pay for them.

19. well when you think of it any hobby can be a "waste of money" when i first got into looking at BJDs (even through I don't own one yet) my family's reaction were very hurtful But now I relise it makes me happy and thats what really matters right?