1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ways of getting your boyfriend into BJDs?

Mar 19, 2006

1. I'm on the opposite end of the stick here (Hope theres nothing to weird about a guy liking dolls). All I can suggest is show him the dolls and explain what makes them so amazing. If he accepts them, thats good.

And try not to show him the prices :p

2. My boyfriend was supportive when I decided to get July. But since then, he hasn't taken much interest in her, or of the concept of me buying another doll. XD But the other day, while we were watching anime with friends... I slipped July into his arms and he cradled her like a baby. XD It was so cute. I think he's starting to warm up to her.

He's okay with me getting other dolls, but I don't think he wants one of his own. He says all the boy dolls look "girly". >_< But I think he would change his mind if we made a Sephiroth or Cloud or Vincent doll from FF7:AC. He's always interested when I shoe him cosplaying dolls. XD

3. My boyfriend hated dolls. When I bought my first bjd, he ragged on me and said it was "disgusting how people spend money on such worthless things, and treat them as if they're alive." :(

But now, almost a year later, he's saving up for an El! I guess he got interested because I'd keep sending him pics of the gorgeous dolls I'd find here. At first he was like, "stop SHOWING me all these dolls!" but after awhile, he started saying things such as "...which one is this? who makes it? how much is it? why's his hair this color?" So I suppose my way of getting him into dollies was inundate him with them ^_^

4. My hubby isn't really into bjd's but he does appreciate them - I think because he likes anime and cartoons with super hero's - he often say's to me 'look at her, what about doing a custom like her?' but he doesn't understand how I can sell my creations (and is always shocked by the price) I think it's easier for them to accept the dolls if they can see a parallel with what you do/have with what they do/have - my man customises bikes so loves customisation, he also used to customise his action figures when he was a boy so totally gets why I like bjd's - just remind him that its an action figure!

5. Advice? Don't try to get him into them at all unless he's already showing some interest. As long as he is accepting of your hobby and knows that you like it and sees that it brings you joy, that's all that matters. Pushing him to get into them when he doesn't want to is not a good idea. My boyfriend, for example, thinks my dolls are creepy as hell, but he knows I like them so he accepts the fact that they are sitting on the shelf. He even bought me elf ani for my birthday because he knew how much I'd been wanting her and trying to save up for her. He's very supportive but he is not into them at all and I would never try to make him into them. If he's showing a little interest already that's different, but if not, just let it be. Leave the dolls out where you can see them and they make you happy and if he starts taking more interest in them great! If not, that's okay too.

6. yeah I try not to push him into it. hehe I just show him dolls these days and he seems to have taken a liking to DOD dolls...cos it reminds him of cosplay and anime/games (like some of you guys talked about above).

hahah the concept of 'resin boobies' is soo true. LOL. hahahaha

Maybe one day if i'm lucky he'll contribute to my doll hobby. ATM he still thinks it's pricey.

Oh and he kinda gets jealous that i spend soo much money on my dolls and not him (but i do spend money on him >< ) ? Has that happened to anyone?

7. May I suggest looking up Sher's infamous Memphis Grace.

My husband is very against me blowing money on things I don't need. Well, one night I was browsing the gallery, and happened upon the gorgeous Memphis, and he just happened to be walking by. He told me and I quote: "If I ever owned a doll like that, you would be sleeping on the couch!" >.<

Guys and boobs...Who knew? I suppose that even includes resin ones.

8. if he thinks they're a bit expensive for his tastes then do you think he could actually appriciate a doll? anybody can think they're pretty, or neat..but imho..it wouldnt be worth it if they just didnt appriciate the dolls ^_^;

im assuming that if your boy really wanted a doll he would get one. I agree with the not pushing it and over time maybe he WILL grow attached to one headmold or another and get one..but until then i wouldnt try to push him to join you in on your "dolling" just yet

9. my SO doesn't get it, although i've been promised lots of handmade clothes (bit of a sewing fetish there). quote: "why don't you just buy one of those cheap poseable artist's dolls and put fancy clothes on it?" *sigh* maybe things will change once Isazu actually arrives...

10. My husband is sinto building models so I go at it from that angle. He helps me with the things I find intimadaing like reattaching limbs and the like. He's also a sci-fi fantasy nerd so that helps LOL....

11. ^^; I wish there was a way to convince all guys that dollfies are always worth the money you spend.

I'm lucky my BF is supportive of all my hobbies. He secretly finds dollfies to be really interesting and is totally intrigued by 'em. He actually helped to pay for half the cost of my first boy, Kyoshi and he totally interacts with Kyo whenever he's around the kid. He and I are both currently working to get our second kid =]

12. My boyfriend was creeped out at first, and still insists on calling Tristan "your minion" (which makes me feel all mad scientist like :) ) But then he does things like put $10 in quarters in a machine that was supposed to have SD-sized handcuffs, or he's posed him once. (Mind you this consisted of stripping Tris naked, stripping my also anatomically correct DP, and having her give him a lap dance...)

I have plans to make him a catgirl with the extra-large boobies Obitsu makes. He's obsessed enough with those he can have his own doll to put in obscene poses...

13. Humm.. I didnt do anything to get my Fiance into them! I came home from a long ballet rehersal one day and he started coming at me with allll this BJD knowledge! I was startled then so happy I had someone so close to me that shared my hobby:) He recently sent out his payment for his first BJD, its lost in the mail right now, so thats a setback.. but he is still really excited. Last year for x-mas/anniversary, he got me yo-sd sleepy rengemaru.

There is really no way to do it but bring them up every once in a while on your own interest. People who like them like them, and you cant do anything about people who dont take to them.
      *jen

14. My husband doesn't mind our 'kids' to much, though him and Kotar&#246; seem to have some unspoken grudge. He seems to find poking Makani's boobies the funniest thing though.

I think the main thing that helped it, is both him and I do roleplaying online, so we both have a LOT of characters(as in.. probably around 100+ characters combined.) so he thought it was pretty interesting that I wanted to make some of my own characters into dolls.
      Don't push it though, thats one thing I know I won't do.
      If he doesn't like it, don't test your luck.

15. humm.... i think it's quite natural for the hubby or S.O to be reacting to it as $$$.

To get your S.O into dolls, you would have to relate the dolls somehow with his other interests? He wouldn't mind you having your own hobbies, or he'd be very selfish! resin boobies... =.=

16. My boyfriend is polite about it but said outright that he doesn't really understand my avid interest in both buying the dolls and in playing with them, as in sewing/dressing up/photographing, etc. He also collects things like Transformers but I think the doll price tag really gets in the way of his understanding.

He does love posing Bailey in lewd positions with his collection of stuffed pigs for me to find, however. My sister does similar things to my doll, and that's as far as their involvement in bjds goes. *sigh*

As far as the price, I think you just have to insist that he thinks about how costly other hobbies he or his friends may have; the difference with ours is that the costs aren't spread out over time but involve spending a lot at once! The doll you can explain in terms of roleplaying: the doll is your character that you can include in photostories and who can interact with other characters at doll meet-ups. It's like drawing a comic about your own characters, except instead of a drawing on paper, it's a 3d object.

Anyway, good luck. :)

17. I showed him Kurosakura's El. He lives his life by the rules of FF7 and patiently awaits the day the lord our saviour Cloud is delivered to us.
      So when I mentioned I could one day mod a Cloud, he took an immediate interest.

18. i sent my Lishe and all her dollie accessories and doll bed to stay with my school friend Toya this weekend. i know my boyfriend will freak if he sees that i have a dollie. to my boyfriend, dollies = $$$. he came to visit me this weekend and just left for the airport.

he loves that i have something that i am so excited about, and he encourages me about dollies. but it's just at this point, my school expenses have put me in a lot of credit card debt and that's the reason why he'd freak out. he's a management and budget planning type corporate guy and he sees my spending as reckless.

last thing i need is for him to make me feel guilty for having Lishe so soon. also, i think that it might turn him off from the whole thing.

the best thing i suggest, is just to get your dollie when you have enough saved up. have the dollie with you all the time and eventually, it'll just grow on him. if not, he'll just have to learn to live with it, even if he doesn't accept it. you shouldn't need anyone's approval, just their understanding.

19. hehe funny how boys like posing BJDs in 'rude' positions. heheh

I think i have to abide by the law of 'natural evolution'. maybe over time he'll grow to like it.

$$$$ is definately an issue, I can see him arguing with me over than when we eventually have a family. ><

20. Oh, another thing that seemed to work (for me at least) was to have your s.o there for the box opening. Mine was there when I opened Mi and he is quite fond of the little guy. Maybe it is just 'cuz he is fond of DoD (he is rather indifferent toward Quinn but, he will pick up Mi and poke his nose and stuff, it is so cute ^^). But, I think maybe having your s.o share in that special moment when you first hold your new doll in your hands can really open his eyes to how special these dolls can be ^^ If nothing else, he will see just how much joy and excitement they bring you.
      Maybe let him in on your excitement? If you are going to order a new doll, maybe have him there with you. Or pick out eyes or fabric/outfits or something together. Less pricier things might be good for the guys who see dollar signs. He wouldn't being seeing the whole cost and if you were shopping for eyes, it wouldn't be a whole doll so he might not be creeped out as much, if that were the case. I think a cool pair of cat eyes is something every guy could appreciate X3