1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ways of getting your boyfriend into BJDs?

Mar 19, 2006

1. I think it is really strange that so many boyfriends are all about dolls boobs or naughty positions. My boyfriend has no interest in either- but then he's very respectful of women in general.

2. As I told my boyfriend that I want to buy a BJD, he said: "Ah, then why do your old barbies lie around? Why don't you play with them instead of buying a new doll?"
      Me: *explained him what BJDs are and what they cost*
      Boyfriend: "Damn, they're SO expensive?? Are you sure you want to buy one? It will be lying around like your old barbies do!!!"

*sigh*

Hope, he'll change his mind when he sees her. She arrived today :)

3. I would say, don't push, but let your SO know about the hobby and the different things you can do with these dolls. If nothing else, it will help them understand why it is that you like them so much.

4. Funny how some guys can't tell the difference between barbies and bjds >< ack

5. that's exactly what my SO said! i tried to explain that bjds are different... :vein

congratulations on your doll arriving!

6. Let him warm up to it. If he does good, if he doesn't oh well. You can't force him to like it.
      My S.O. likes my dolls (he makes them talk etc xD) and I'm getting him one in the future. Money seems to be the main issue to people not IN the hobby. I know I'm far beyond being shocked at prices any more lol.

7. My boyfriend can tell the difference between bjds and Barbies, but it came to my attention that he can't tell the difference between any of the BJDs I have. He doesn't even know which of them is the one he bought for me. I must say that amused me a lot :lol:

8. My husband fortunately gets the difference between BJD's and Barbies or all the Madame Alexanders I have in cases on the walls I say fortunately because otherwise he would have killed me. And rightfully so, I mean talk about your expensive hobbies!

9. I guess it's cute but annoying at the same time. when they can't tell the difference. LOL

10. Hm my boyfriend recently called my Harumi a "dust catcher"... ah yeah, Harumi feels really offended...
      The only way left is, I told him that HIS hobby is electrial engineering, and Harumi is MINE. I don't buy expensive jewelry, I don't buy expensive cars, so I can afford having a Dollfie. That's it :)
      Yesterday, I've brought Harumi to bed. His comment: "You're crazy!!" :)

11. i can't give any specific advice, but i can share my situation: :wiggle my husband has always been very supportive of my various hobbies, he himself is a guitar enthusiast and can comprehend massive spending binges on seemingly "trivial" items. (shit, he spends just as much on guitar paraphernalia as i do on dolly stuff.)

ah, but understanding the financial side of our painfully expensive hobby is only the beggining.

he's got a special place in his heart for Peri (my Hisui) because he has a rare joint disease... okay, i know its not obvious, but he feels a strong connection with her ball-jointed body, the way the sockets creak sometimes, and the looseness of her stringing. basically, his disease makes him feel like a balljointed doll. and i think its cute. (lol, that was long:sweat )

12. well, my husband doesn't like BJDs per se, but he's gotten into building stuff for them. We've built a room together so far and a bit of furniture ... he likes building things and putting things together so he kind of likes putting dolls together from a kit and building furniture.

well, it's a start!

13. I didn't even find an excuse. I was dressing one of my girls and the boyfriend was called downstairs by one of our roomates for game-speak.
      "Here," was all I said, thrusting Calypso into his hands. He looked down at her, lifted her into the crook of his arm, and trotted out the door.

(It helps if they are/were rollplay gamers. Then they understand how dolls take on personality. If they have game-geek in them, play up to that!)

14. He DOES rock! At first, he did the whole 'Holy crap, they're so expensive' thing, but when he saw how hard I was trying to get one, everything changed. He'd received money from a bond he'd cancelled, bought himself a new computer and gave me $400 (to add to the $200 I'd saved) to buy my first doll. He's so sweet. ^^ He'll even ask about different things I'm going to do to customize my doll. I think he's starting to take a little interest in the doll I'm getting, which is a Camine, and of course CP Soo (because of the boobs, lol).

So instead of getting boots for my doll, I decided to do something else. I've saved up about $200 so far in secret to buy him the Soo he wants. ^^

15. I'm a guy who got his girlfriend into BJDs, so... yeah. >.>

16. Yeah... my fiance sees my dollfies as $$$$$$$$$$$... T_T He doesn't get it.. well.. that and he is a little jealous of them.. ROFL.. I do treat them very very well.. O_O and I yes.. I do give them more attention at times then my fiance.. man. .I am horrible.. T_T *sweatdrops*

17. My boyfriend is a little bit worried about me getting into them because of the way I have a problem with spending money. It's at least showing that I have the patience to save up for something, though. :)

18. heh, well my doll's a boy so no, it's not necessarily a sign of latent sexism. It's all in good fun, and my sister does it too (and probably checks out dolly chests as well!) ;)

19. u should try something like this!! it worked for me---

me: "so, these 2 guy friends i kinda hang out with at school is getting bjds"
      bf: "why?" <-doesnt really care about dolls
      me: "i dont know, but i am happy. now i have more people to play dolls with! we can have tea parties and sew clothes---"
      bf: "how do u play with the dolls?"
      me: "oh a lot of things, its really fun, but i dont think u`ll be interested"
      bf: "....can u teach me?"
      me: "oh no, as i said, u wont like it"
      bf: "....but then we can play together..."
      me: "hmm...i dont know..."
      bf: "please??"

yes, now i have him on my hook---lol
      i am serious, now he is actually wanting to learn how to play---(>v< )

20. LOL wow that is such a good strategy!! =)