1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ways of getting your boyfriend into BJDs?

Mar 19, 2006

1. Mine loves them too! He actually got the first BJD, a Volks 1/6 Dollfie and he helped do the face up on Akuma. He wants a Husky, and I found out he already plans that the doll will have white hair and purple eyes like Akuma so they can be brothers...

But he's already go a huge amount of toys aready and just spent several hundred on airsoft replica guns, like his new Thompson machine gun.

2. My fiance wasn't too interested in getting one until he thought about making one for his main online RP character (also, looking at the Vincent Valentine and Sephiroth dolls helped. ;) ). I was going to make the doll myself but when I decided aginst it he was all- "...you're not making Zable...?" That same night he asked to look at dolls with me and we settled on a doll for him. He even bought a wig. XD

It's so cute when I explain things to him because half the time he doesn't get what I'm talking about.
      Me: "You have to buy MSD size wigs for that doll."
      Him: "...what's that mean?"
      Me: *launches off into a lengthy explaination*
      Him: "...so will this wig fit? That's all I want to know."

3. When Roxy got her DES, she opened it over at my house since I had picked up the package for her(she had been home visiting her parents). Now... I have had all boy dolls and one little girl. I had a DD body, but she didn't spend much time here.

As soon as we opened the box, Frankie(who arrived spread eagle!) was there in all her naked glory and dave loudly exclaimed, "BOOBIES! :D :D :D" Roxy's husband had essentially the same reaction, as my husband's brother came over and immeadiatly put the dolls in compromising positions!

4. My husband says equates dolls with lost money. He loves to ask me how many dolls do you need. I usually return with how many bikes do you need?

He has 4 and they never stay working. He is all messing with them. I swear in the 80's my old 10 speed never had all the trouble has. New bikes maybe lighter then a bag of feathers, but they suck for durability.

GOt off topic, the only doll he likes at all is Gaara. He suggested I make Gaara. But he is really supportive of me and my dolls at Cons. Or maybe he just likes to hold them, because he is afriad I might drop one.

5. mine...

Mine has NO IDEA that I occasionally steal the memory card out of his camera to snag a peek at whatever hes been taking pictures of. I'm not suspicious or anything, its just that his pickiness/perfectionism as a photographer often deprives me of getting to see some amazing photos.

ANYWAY. This is how I solidly found out about two months ago (after years of suspecting so) that he was, indeed, playing with my dollies whenever I left the house.

The roll of film kept getting better and better. The entire memory card was apparently one he used only for dollie time. He started out by just taking a picture of Mo (narae) on the shelf... then he apparently posed her, moved her eyes, tried on a few hats, got flirty with it, anyway... there were months worth of photo shoots and it was just about the cutest thing i had ever seen in my life. Especially after all the indignance over the years ("I did NOT play with your doll its the SAME outfit i was Cleaning the SHELF..." etc.) I nearly peed myself laughing. to this day I wont tell him I know, cause its just too funny to listen to him explain some evenings before I even mention the doll how the hat-box FELL that afternoon and he couldnt remember which one she was wearing, so he just slapped one on...

Right. Right baby, whatever you say.

6. Emi, that's one of the cutest things I have ever heard :whee:

7. Well, he's not my boyfriend - he was engaged to my sister and he now employs me so I can slack in England for a while - but Darren was easy to sway. He has been an anime fan for years and has been making models even longer. I simply asked him to help with face-ups on my first Lost Angels and, then my DDs and eventually we dived into the real thing this year.

I think we are both trying to channel Yumiko into our new daughter, and he is being especially careful with her. She was a good sister and I think she would approve.

Yuko.

8. My boyfriend hates my dolls because I spend a lot of money on them and he abhorrs wasted money.

On the other hand, he's glad that I have a hobby I enjoy and can fill my free time with, but he still hates that I buy them stuff and buy new dolls from time to time.

9. My husband thinks all BJD's look the same, but he's kinda interested in me customizing a doll to look like Cammy from Street Fighter for him.. I'm thinking.. a DDII body? lol! He does sometimes send me links to little accessories and things I might like for them and does, of course, put them in dirty poses once in a while!

10. How to get your boyfriend into BJD's:

Show him Lishe.

o_o; ^^; That's all I had to do. XD Now he's wanting a Lishe and a DD body (though I keep telling him he'll only be saving about $50), after I complete my collection of dollies. ^^

11. Well I still don't have a BJD yet, (hoping to get one this year!) but I do have my boyfriend wanting one and one of my guy friends.
      All three of us have role playing characters that we use quite often and are all original.
      I kept showing my bf Souldoll's general edition Lune and saying how much I want him for my character, James.
      He now wants a Cerebus Project Delf El for his own character, Nathenis.
      My friend has only one major character, but is taking my suggestions on what doll would be best for his character, Blitz. I believe the last one he liked was general edition Eckstine on Souldoll.

Oh and yeah, buying stuff for them works too. I've done that for my bf and now he's offered to help pay for my dolls when we both have jobs again.

12. I'm not too worried about getting my boyfriend to like them as long as he doesn't hate them. He thinks they're cute and was really into cosplay at a time so he can relate to the customization stuff :)

13. Actually, I think my boyfriend was the one who showed these dolls to me in the first place.
      He kept pointing out this one particular doll and was somewhat upset I wanted a different one.
      Then, we saw that same doll at a meet. He was enamoured. But not sure.
      And yet, another of the same type at a different meet! He played with her
      the whooole time.. he monopolized that poor doll. Taking pictures, posing,
      cuddling..
      He's going to save for her now. Because she's just that cute, I guess. <3
      Actually, I think he was trying to make me jealous.. o_o
      But how could I be jealous when he was having fun? ;-;
      He wants a limited outfit that's sold out, though.. oh well, guess I'll have to
      stalk the boards for him.. >>

My best advice to you is if your boyfriend doesn't already like the dolls, show him how they can be customized to his favorite character or action figure.
      The ultimate action figure.. yes.. <<

14. Hahaha! I dont know if my bf would ever play with dolls or own one...but he likes messing with mine. He'll hold Ringo for me, or buckle him into the car seat...claiming that he didnt want Ringo to slide off.

He also admited to me the other day that Joan was hot! XD. All the guys i know seem to like Joan the most because shes the most realistic looking! Hahaha!

But he enjoys playing and posing them, and makeing them do silly thing. And will often dive for the falling, face-planting doll, along with me! Hahaha!

15. My ex always thought it was cute that I liked BJD's and he always commented on how neat it was that you were able to customize them. But then I broke up with him xD so yeahh haven't heard much from him since then.

16. so many different story's! and so many different kind of boyfriends/husbands etc opinions!

my boyfriend likes it that i like dolls, but we both have the same opinion about the costs, its such a horrible lot! he said, if he knew more about them he would buy one for me once he gets his first paycheck (he's 22, and wil start his "career" in about a week :D ) but he says, that he doesn't know anything about it, but that their pwitty. so i sould pik one myself, and safe money for it. if i still like em so much by the time i saved enough money to buy one, it must mean i really really like em.
      (usually im into something very intens but very shortly.. :sweat )
      but since i knew about BJD i've been wanting one, and thats about a year now :D he would like it if i buy one, just because it makes me happy :D :aheartbea

17. My bf is not into dolls, but he has original characters >> So I tried to tell him that we could customize a doll into his OC and he can pose it around.. I was AIMING for him to buy BJDs but somehow or other he got into Obitsus :doh Wrong target wrong target!!

18. Let him fall in love with them like you did. No need to push it, that will probably just give you the opposite effect. He may or may not take to them, but keep in mind not everything is for everyone. Basically, let him discover by his own interest, rather than by your peristence.

Sera~

19. Even though he is still blown away by how much they cost, my husband is really into putting things together and building stuff. He can't wait to put together my lusis for me and to see how I do the face ups. He is really into model trains and a lot of techniques and supplies used for doll esthetics are surprisingly similar to what is used to make buildings and trains look realistic. He just thinks it is really cool that you are expected to customize each of your dolls to make them your own.
      But he still doesn't understand why they cost so much!

20. -lol- some of these stories..... -wipes tears away-
      My BF absolutely hates them...or so I thought. He absolutely won't like stay in my room when they are "looking" at him.....and he says they are creepy. But then, I'd just keep showing him clothes I made, or faces I painted, and then yeterday he showed up out of nowhere and gave me two tiny graduation hats for my dolls. 0_0 he was like well, you know I saw them and thought they might fit that one doll...... I was so overjoyed. ^__^