1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ways of getting your boyfriend into BJDs?

Mar 19, 2006

1. Lol, I think the likelyhood of getting my boyfriend into dolls is about the same as figuring out how to travel at the speed of light in the next few years. But aside from that, he doesn't mind the fact that I have this hobby because I keep a limit as to how much I talk about it/show him pictures/etc. It's just his personality...

2. hahaha I figure as long as my boyfriend DOESN'T give me the "my-girlfriend-is-more-insane-than-I-thought" look every time I mention my dolls, it's all good. I've accepted that only one of my guy friends and one of my girl friends are ok with my dolls, and other than that my friends just think I'm nuts. My boyfriend knows how much they cost, and he FREAKED over the price when I showed him one that I would love to get someday.

3. welll I got my boyfreind into it easily alls i did was showed him one i had that had a sword with it and now he has more than i do i think lol. he always suported it but now hes into it. then again we arn't normal. he likes any thing i do and i can easily bond with his weird fasination with car parts. not cars just the parts

4. My fiance has been very supportive of my BJD interest since the beginning, even making comments about him being their Dad when they come home. But then he's not a very masculine guy, has cross-dressed before for fun, and likes a lot of girly things, so I don't have any advice for convincing a boyfriend to like BJDs, mine just came to me that way :lol:

5. If I had a significant other, I wouldn't force him to be into BJD's if he doesn't want to. How would you like it if someone did the same to you with a hobby you are generally meh about? It should be good enough if the partner tolerates and supports it, now if the partner vehemently hates your hobby, that's another question entirely.

6. I occasionally show mine things, and he likes them. A few weeks ago I sent him over to the MOC website and he started browsing around on it himself (i was shocked) and he fell in love with a doll and said he wanted it (even more shocked!). It just kind of came naturally.
      I made sure first off he was okay with my new hobby.

7. I'm lucky, my husband loves my dolls just as much as I do. We've been having some problems lately though, so I might have to get rid of a few...it really makes him sad whenever I trade or sell a doll. He gets just as attached as I do. But he understands that sometimes you have to be rid of precious things, no matter how much it pains you.

I think that I really got lucky in finding the right guy, he really understands my hobby.

8. I am lucky that my partner has really gotten into dolls with me. He was a little 'meh' about them when I originally talked about them. But he bought me my first two dolls (well, the first two to arrive) and he is a total favouritist with them! He adores Porridge (the first one) and Andi is a close second heh. But he adores my dolls, and when I don't take pictures of them for a while, or when they haven't had new clothes and things made for them he will start saying things like "Oh, don't you like them anymore?" or, more often "They are getting sad, you need to talk to them more! Look how sunny it is, take them out for photos" Which is adorable. He also wants a pukipuki Pong army. I can't wait :)

9. well with us its different, I don't want to push him into dolls, I was even against his warhammer likings. But now, he helped me with a small doll, making horns, looking for wings and even dit a part of the face-up, and I am happy he wants to help me with it. (the doll is sleeping at his place for 2 weeks now >_<)

Basically I don't want him to get too much in it, just because i want him to have hobbies of his own. I realized I rather have him paining little figurines and fighting his own wars with his friends, that that he stays with me playing with dolls. (or have a computer addiction)

(you might get him in some other hobbies where you can use the paint or the horns or anything from to help you in your hobbie)

10. I would never expect my boyfriend to get into dolls lol. Before my new love of BJD's I was collecting anime figures for about 6 years (and still am). He doesn't hate them, he just doesn't enjoy the fact of spending money on something that technically has "no use".

To him, spending money on dvds, books, video games makes sense because it's something we can get use out of. He doesn't seem to get that even if my figures and dolls just sit there, they still make me happy, so to me it's worth it :) But he's known since the moment he met me 8 years ago that I am a collector and I enjoy the stuff I collect and don't really care what anyone else thinks about it.

I am more than happy that we can enjoy pretty much everything else together including my anime watching, manga reading and video game playing obsessions. So if he doesn't really care for, or get into my figures and dolls that's ok by me:thumbup

11. Hehe, interesting thread. So far, mine was at first against it, and kind of shocked that I wanted one, because I didn't come off as the "doll loving" type. Now, after getting used to them, and being around them the "creepy" factor has worn off. He rarely touches them, but I've resorted to having to ask him to help me restring the dolls, like, once, or twice, or even ten times! ^^;
      He's ironically taken a liking to my Soom Chrom, who is like, pretty much the only "manly" doll I have at the moment, lol. I think Chrom is secretly my Bf's doll. Though he too does get a giggle out of my Luts Soony's resin boobs! He mentions to me places that might have in scale doll stuff, and the other day, I had him actually eyeing some of the soom MD dolls with me. It has been slow progress, but he's starting to come around! I haven't tried the just randomly plopping them down in his hands yet, one that wasn't half together and needed restringing help at least, but that's a good idea too! -plots-

12. Guy Perspective
      This is how my former Girlfriend got me into Dolls. At first i disliked the idea of her having "those" dolls. As time goes by, you get used to the dolls, you pick one up now and then or even pose one next to you on an xbox controller.
      I know it sound like we man are all simple minded when some users here say that you should get a girl doll (big boobies are no required). But think about why many of you have male dolls, they are more compelling to you.
      So at some point she got around getting a dollfie dream (because she already made me watch some anime) and she tried dressing her up to suit my taste ^_^ and it did
      You CAN get a guy into dolls if you want to, but you have to be patient. Leave the dolls around the place in noncreepy places (SERIOUSLY when you get used to them and one is lying in your socks drawer when you get up early in the morning it freaks you out!) when he picks up the doll dont make a fuzz out of it. just dont say anything, and it gets normal. And always pay us attention, nobody wants to fell less worth than a hobby.

but, how would a guy get a girl into dolls? i know it sounds weird, but what about the other way around, ever made any experience with this anyone?

13. I won my boyfriend over by showing him pictures of dolls that resembled his rp characters..
      I ask for his impute on my dolls (That are based on my characters he's already fond of.)

Recently he mentioned he might get himself one with his tax return money. It's because he wants his characters to be dolls too.

14. okay my boy doesn't mind the idea of BJD, but honestly the moment he first excepted them was when I took him to a meet. There he meet other people who think like him. He still doesn't want a doll, but now he likes to give me idea's of things I could to with them. Like he wants to make Zero (whenever I get him) a suite of armor which will be awesome! He also is making Maira a set of swords. I'd say find out what he likes to do and see if you can find a simmilar thing in BJD. also he wants me to get Maira a star trek uniform.... ugh. but ya know it's better then him calling my dolls stupid. and also as long as he knows you love it nothing else matters. Respect of both halfs are good. Good luck!