1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Were you nervous your first time? (Modifying/changing your doll, that is.)

May 5, 2009

1. Actually, Im going to have go at my Obitsu girls faceup soon enough AND when my boy arrives, I had to put his head on since it is hybrid o.o So, look like I have no choice. Besiiiide, with Obitsu, if you mess up head badly, buy another, it only 20$

2. Haha here's my story.
      The very first day I received Niri, my first doll, I take her apart to restring her like 10 minutes after opening the box, haha. No stress at all :) I was just really happy to have her and wanted her to be perfect!

3. Nope~
      I'm not nervous ever, regarding modifications~
      or at least I haven't been until recently!
      I know Kyo will need his eyes to be made bigger...
      But I don't want to ruin the whole head...
      Maybe this is just hesitation.
      <_<
      >_>

4. I still havent even re-positioned my boy's eyes yet. I know that it would make such a difference, and I should just do it. but they're hot glued in and Im afraid i wont be able to postition them again once their out. And I had planned to re-string him, but I'm anxious about that too...

Im such a wenie, I know, but i dont want to get myself in a bind.

5. Yep, definitely a bit nervous here -- both my girls are still so new that I'm still building up my confidence in handling them. Some things, like changing heads and feet, turned out to be easy enough that I felt a lot more comfortable after doing it once or twice, other things like adjusting the elastic tension, well, I think it'll take me longer to feel like I really know what I'm doing there. And I'm still working up the nerve to make those first baby steps towards spraying and blushing once the weather is a bit more coopoerative...

6. Yup, even though he's just an obitsu. My first mod project was giving him horns and dyeing him black. The horns were no problem, but the dyeing...I was all ready until I actually had the bowl of hot dye and bits of doll in front of me, *then* I got nervous about the whole thing. It was kinda scary, but it turned out well.

7. I really need to restring and suede both of my dolls.. but I'm so nervous to do it that I haven't yet, although it needs to be done... Badly :( I'm just so afraid I wont be able to get them back together again, one of these days I'll have the courage to do it though >_>

8. Mmkaie. So srsly, you should have SEEN me when i raised the earing drill to my FCS dorrie. I was omging up the wall. On the other hand, when i had to restring Shimmy on her first day home when one of her hands came broken, it was no sweat.

Now i have no problem peeling off faceups and drilling holes. But when i was a nooblette, holy snap i was a pansy.

9. I was a little nervous when I peirced ears and re-did their face-ups but not too bad. I'm planning on modding an extra girl body I have into a boy as a sort of experiment and I'm a little nervous. Mostly I think that even if I mess something up it can be fixed or lived with. I'm not really worried about if I screw up, it just gives them a little more character. They can have battle scars just like the rest of us:)

10. My first doll came without eyes (AS didn't put them in then). So... my "expert" bjd-friend (who had several dolls by then) put my boy into my hands, took off his headcap, gave me eyes and putty and said "listen to me and do it yourself". It was second time in my life I lay my hands on BJD. I was scared... well, much... but I didn't like the idea of my boy eye-less even more. I asked to help me, of course, but... need was a best teacher, and I weren't afaraid to dis-assemble and assemble any part of dolls ever since.

I still don't have it in me to remove any of default make-ups. But we have one (and soon it'll be two) head without make-up (didn't like default, company don't do custom) and we're learning. ))

Also I was somewhat nervous to clean my bodydrushed boy for the first time. This one bodybrushing is the only thing in all my dolls I don't want to change ever, so I won't want to damage it. Well, guess what, it survived ))) Now I do it with ease.

And I'm waiting for a drill from Dollmore, so I'll be experimenting soon. I've did research on ear drilling, so I'm not afraid... mostly ))))

11. I was absolutely TERRIFIED. My first full doll came to me in fantastic shape, and because I got him locally from a terrific seller, I had a little mini-lesson on how to change eyes, remove headcap, etc. But just before that I had gotten a head (from Catdancer! I don't know why but I'll never forget who I bought my first resin from :) ). When his body arrived - an older Souldoll MSD-sized body - I was nervously tugging on the S-hook to see if I could get his head on and - the very old string went Poof.

There was my body, all in bits. Scared much? I was so convinced I'd never get him back together. It seems incredibly silly to me now with as often as I've rearranged my dolls and their associated parts, but boy it was scary. Oh! ETA: I actually watched those YouTube pieces in the post just above to get over myself. It really IS just as easy as that.

The first modificaton I did scared the crap out of me too. That same original head got his nose reduced. Then, unfortunately, I discovered how easy it is to modify resin, and went on to some really, truly BAD attempts at eye opening.

All learning experiences. I would NEVER attempt them on an expensive head, because I have seen that my own skills go this far, and no farther. :)

Faceups... well hey. Someday I'll be good. Hasn't happened yet. Doesn't frighten me at all and never has, because I know they can easily be wiped off and corrected.

12. Well, I was OK with eyes and faceups and tightening but when it came to taking grinder or sander to resin.....

Then came the 50 cm Luna. I desperately wanted a 50 cm girl, and the body was >.< >.< no way I can make this any worse... so out came the dremel!

13. not really... I had no problem taking my doll apart, restringing, doing the faceup, whatever. I felt like I did enough research ahead of time that I knew what I was doing.
      Mods would be different though. I think I'd be TERRIFIED to do a permanent mod on something so expensive.

14. I was terrified to restring. It's a terrifying idea, all the pieces and parts.

15. I was terrified about restringing the first time. I'd read horror stories about people saying how painful and hard it was and how they had to build up their strength to do it and ended up with bruised hands. So I held off as long as possible before trying it. When I finally broke down and had to restring my mom's Megi, I found I didn't mind it. I liked having the extra hands from her holding cords for me, but quickly after I went on to restring my Mir (trickier because he uses a metal hoop instead of an S-hook, but something I did entirely without help and had no real problems). At this point I don't really think much about it anymore.

I've tweaked and touched up faceups on our crew, and I've done entire faceups for 1/6 Obitsu and Volks dolls we have. I wouldn't want to wipe either of my default faceups, because I love them. (As well as Mom's kids.) I do have the urge to get a blank msd to do from scratch somewhere down the road though.

16. I had been attempting to make OOAK BJDs out of stoneclay for over a year when I bought Fauna (BBB Sprite), but despite the fact that I had strung and restrung my own dolls, sometimes several times a day to check joints, I was still intimidated by doing it on my first resin doll. But then I lifted her out of the box and her elastic broke, so I had to! Her default face-up was so pale that I could barely see it, and I disliked it intensely, so I had no choice if I wanted to bond with the doll but to redo it.

And despite my experience with Fauna, when I got my SDs, (ED Red and Soah), I was so intimidated by them because they were so pristine and perfect that I didn't really take them out of their boxes for days. I got over it eventually, and am now much more comfortable with the idea of doing things to them. It sometimes just takes a while, or a situation like others have said, where you can't make matters worse!

17. My friends dolly really needed to be restrung, and we were TERRIFIED.

A few things went wrong too such as;

we did her, then realized she was too tight so we had to unstring her, and do it all again -_-

the new strings we had wee too big to get through ehr neck hole, so we used the old ones, and then tied them to the new ones inside her torso, poor girl's like frankensteins monster inside!

her foot also went flying though the room! We were doing this at school after classes in the commen room, and everyone cleared out pretty fast after we yelled "Don't touch that foot!"

18. Restringing - fine. Tattoo - fine. Faceup - fine.

Eye opening - ...OMG... it was probably the scariest thing I've ever done to one of my dolls. It was my first (and only so far) time of modding a completely closed eye head. I had to carefully scrape away at the resin with my Xacto. ><" I have no idea what possessed me to do it but my hands were shaking and all that until I made it all the way through the resin. It's been a couple years now since I did that eye opening but I still haven't worked up the guts to take a dremel to his eye wells.

19. when higurashi comes i wanna try giving her a couple tattoos, even if they come out bad they will be under her clothes anyway xD