1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Were you nervous your first time? (Modifying/changing your doll, that is.)

May 5, 2009

1. I am a bit scared, but I plan to someday get a Zaoll Luv and mod it's body so that it's a boy, rather than girl. Of course it's a bit scary, but I've seen people do it before and it assures me enough that I'll be able to do it, even if I've never modded a doll before. Sure, there's a chance I could mess up, but I'll be really careful so that something bad hopefully doesn't happen. Regardless of unsettled nerves and negative 'what-if's, I'm still pretty excited about the thought of someday finally getting my dream doll.

2. I was a little nervous when I started working on my boy, but the nerves were gone about 30 seconds after I started sanding. I'm pretty sure of my sanding skills though, so it's probably just experience that made it easier for me.

3. I was quite nervous when removing my first doll's face up. But it had to be done since his old face up from DoD was breaking down ;_; Since then, it was a breeze, though. No qualms of unstringing him for the first time since my friend who's more experienced helped me a lot with it.

4. i'm frightened by the thought of a full body re-stringing XD let alone sanding or piercing anything! O.o

5. Never modded anything on my doll but her wig and outfit. I'm too scared!
      If I should get another doll though, I've resolved to be more adventurous with it ^^

6. The first thing I ever did as far as modifying was concerned was modding the eyes of my limited Juri '05... and I wasn't nervous at all, actually (which I found quite surprising at the time, but planning out what I wanted to do and then going through it slowly and steadily worked wonders) Nowadays I know what I can do - sanding, restringing, wig modifications etc - and what I can't - faceups, mainly! - and do the things in the first category without any worry at all. Those in the latter category get left to the experts, and so I don't need to be nervous there at all either :)

7. Omg, I used to be so nervous about even taking my doll's headcap off to do things like adjust his eyes. xD
      I got this t-shirt for him that required me to take his head right off to put it on because the neck hole was tiny and it had no buttons or anything, and I freaked out so much and was so nervous, haha.

I don't have a problem with those things now, though. All that's left for me to be nervous about is restringing. I've never restrung a doll before but my boy needs it badly.. I'm considering finding an expert to do it because I don't trust myself. xD

I havent considered doing any kind of serious modifying to a doll, although I do want to body blush my boy, and I'm kind of nervous about that because I've never painted on resin before. xD; I'm so afraid to mess it up.

8. The first night I had Euphemia, her head fell off and landed in my then-drunk stepmother's lap, who started screaming bloody mercy. (xD;;; ) So I had to learn pretty quickly that as long as you were smart about common-sense things, there really isn't much you can do to these dolls assembly-wise that can't be fixed easily. So I had no qualms popping her head off and unstringing her for a faceup/body blushing, though the first time I tried to restring her I couldn't. (Darn you, Iplehouse, for knotting the elastic on the S-hook, and darn you too-thick Volks elastic! D: ) Anyhow, that was quickly remedied by a trip to the craft store, which is amazing.
      On the sanding note, if seperating fingers counts, I did Euphemia's left hand while I was doing her body blushing. I was just too tired by the time I got to the right hand to finish. xD;;

9. I remembered the first time when I want to give my Kal a fresh coat of MSC (poor boy sealant has worn off after nearly 7 months), I was clueless and not really sure how to properly spray his body in equal measures, scared I might screw up and sprayed too much and damage the resin >.>
      yeah, I was hopeless...

Luckily for me, my dad gave me a hand (he had experience spraying gloss sealants on his bike so a doll was not a problem for him), and I must admit he did a perfect job of it!

I have yet to do a full body re-stringing, might give it a go one of this days, and I'm really keen to try my own face-ups as well!

Modding? er... too soon to say ^^''

10. heheheh
      I was really scared of touching it in the first month thinking I might brake it XD
      But then I really enjoyed making face-ups and mods :3 And now I thinking about doing things bolder and bolder, But now I need to be careful not to go too much on it hehehe

11. The first time I had to do any restringing I was terrified.
      It was only arms though (fixing twisted elastic); There was lots of 'OMG I'm pulling so hard, i'm going to break her!' thoughts.
      Though it did mean I wasn't so nervous when it came to do a full dismantle and restring for the first time.

I think alot of it is 'first <blah>' nerves, especialy when you are new to the hobby. After all its all well and good reading about something, but actualy doing it is another matter. I was nervous dressing one for the first time.

12. Changing my JID's hands was so frightening... Especially when his stringing slipped and shot up his arm while I had my head turned away. It turned out fine in the end but I was sort of panicked the whole time!

13. Was I scared? Oh god yes! XD My first doll, Mikos, had a wonky eye for the first 6months I had him becuase I was scared to even take the headcap off and poke at it! :lol:

My nerves were not made any better by Mikos pinging his s-hook at me and giving me a black eye the first time I opened his head, either! ;)

Modding dolls is always a bit nerve-wracking, but once you get down to it it's great fun. :) I did a full body and head mod on a Juri 05 years ago, and it was fantasticly good fun once I got the hang of what I was doing. More recently, I did a face-up for my Minimee head that came out much better than I was expecting, but even though I knew I couldn't damage the head with what I was using, I was still nervous before I layed that first brush to the resin...

14. Wow, great thread. Yes, I was very edgy changing heads. I think the head I have on now is not correctly attached cause it keeps falling off. The head has a "S" ring that fits into a 'X" slot. I don't think it's placed in the X right. Will try again when I get the courage and strength to pull that "S" ring again.

15. Well, the only reason i'm scared to customize Lucien is because i know i may want to sell him later in trade for another mold, and i'm scared that if i mod him then try to sell him, people won't buy him. Can i get some reassurance here? XD

16. My only advice is to practice on an inexpensive and easily replaceable head before attacking the rare and limited.

17. I was too scared to mod my dolls at first, I had to be very careful. But I think I overcame that fear after a couple of mods.

18. I was nervous putting eyelashes on my doll... I'm not quite up there for modifications, yet. XD I do want to give Casimir's nails that "realistic" makeover, though. ^^ Of course, there's a great tutorial for that on DOA so I'm not totally worried. >w<

19. I was nervous with the dolls that came with face ups, but ordering dolls that didn't have the option of a company face up freed me to try new things. After blushing a girl green to be a Romulan, I have ordered apoxie sculpt to try a bust mod on my incoming girl.

20. I got Carousel specifically to be turned into what I had in my head. When I was looking for the right sculpt to bring home for my first doll, I was considering eye mods. Coming blank meant I wasn't too worried about practicing blushing and face ups on him. Then he broke a finger, and I decided to leave it, so out came the nail file to smooth off the rough edges. Now I'm sanding parts of him to be dyed. When I got him, I fixed it in my mind that he was my doll, and really no matter what I did to him either I, or someone with more experience than me, could fix it. (it's pretty near true, honestly).