1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What about your "database" of your dolls ?

Mar 28, 2011

1. I love making lists (even though I am majorly disorganized otherwise) so I have a few lists about dolls... I have an entry in my doll LJ that has mold, eye, wig, and arrival info on all my dolls. I also keep text files with my wish list and the prices, and my dolls' measurements for when I buy or sew clothes. I don't usually keep a detailed list about clothes, eyes, and wigs that I buy because I can just look that up in my order history on the maker's site or the email receipt.

2. I actually keep two separate databases for my dolls. The first is for my own use (because I love diong databases and lists and such), and it lists
      • Character Name
      • Head Sculpt
      • Body Manufacturer (if a hybrid)
      • Faceup artist
      • Mod artist
      • Eye color/manuafacturer
      • Wig manufacturer
      • Maker of the doll's primary outfit (most of my dolls only have 1)
      I use it so I can keep track of details (I am horrible for remembering customizers, but can remember companies...bad me! Bad!)

The second is for a close friend of mine who knows nothing at all about the hobby. It lists all of the stuff above, but breaks it down into layman's terms for a non-doll person, and has a few extra categories. These include
      • my photos of each doll for easy identification
      • website link to the company and model
      • any extras beyond the human doll (such as fantasy parts included or missing, in the case of a Soom MD, for example)
      • estimated resale value
      This is in case anything ever happens to me, so that she will know what they're worth, as she has no interest in keeping them and I have no one who would care enough about them to inherit them. Since she also gets my cats, I refer to it as my "kitty trust fund."

3. I have a journal dedicated to only my dolls. In it I list everything about my doll family, wishlists, story arcs, etc. I keep track of my layaways and arrivals etc. It's really quite handy.

4. I've got a folder on my computer full of dolly information!

I keep tabs on what my boys' favourite outfits are, their default wigs, their secondary wigs, my preference for their eyes, what I have and what I still need to buy. I keep that side-by-side with some basic character information, as well as basics like company and sculpt, and what 'skin' tone they are.

I do the same for characters I plan on buying dolls for, the major difference being that those are subject to change, and of course, that those are all 'need to buy' instead of 'already bought'.

I also keep notes on what their style preferences and hobbies are so that when I'm buying or making props, clothing, or set/furniture stuff, I can keep track of who would want/have what.

=^__^=
      Anneko

5. I have a basic list on my computer that has the dolls sorted first by size, then in order of how I bought the dolls. I list their character names, company, mold, skin type, if I bought a basic, fullset or LE, and any extra pertinent information I might forget about. Then, I have a hardcopy printed out and taped to my wall in my doll room for handiness.

6. I have the basic profiles on DOA Databases and another on Excel which is basically a compilation. This contains technical info like sculpt, company, date of order, date of arrival, etc to the doll's basic profile such as name, nationality, birthday. I also have a more detailed profile (background story, personality, etc) temporarily stored on a .txt file but it is incomplete. I will expand it and find a proper place to store it in (hopefully soon).

7. I used to, for my wishlist. It would contain all the links to the dolls, information about special ordering, etc, all in one handy word document. When I downsized my list, it included a few wigs and clothes I wanted.

Now, since I've super-mega downsized to two dolls, the clothes I'm going to get are in a email in my inbox that I sent to myself. But as for background info or sizing, no. For sizing I probably should though.

8. I just keep a list of eye sizes, since that's the only thing that's difficult to remember. Otherwise, the vast majority of them are all very similar in size, sharing wigs and shoes and shirts. :)

9. Yep. I have each one's database profile in a Word document saved in my computer. I need to start adding eye and wig info to that, since I have a lot more than before now and I can't keep who's wearing what straight in my head.

10. Though I'm a bit behind on it, I keep a technical list on my comp. of all the doll items I own.
      This is mostly so I can remember outfit names and what brand wigs/eyes are should I decide to sell them or if I forget what outfit part goes with what so I can look it up.
      I'm more adamant about keeping up my wish lists ;) (though I do keep market prices in my head which I probably should be writing down.)
      I do keep folders of stock images of the dolls I currently own and of Volks x BtSSB collaboration items though too.

11. For all purchases (dolls and their stuff), I keep a detailed spreadsheet -- what, when, from who, how much, condition, official link to manufacturer, and (for wigs and eyes) which doll is wearing what. That definitely helps me keep track of what I own, and work out how to price things when I get down to selling them. Also helps me keep track of how much I've spent... though I don't really want to know! *_*

I also keep a folder of text documents of doll character profiles, dimensions, resin matching, things I want to buy from the MP, wishlists, pretty much anything else BJD-related that I want to keep in mind.

And this isn't accounting for my hoard of bookmarks!

12. Wooow~ I certainly don't feel like I have that many dolls or doll-things to have a need for lists but I do make resin lists in my profile so other people can see what I have if they're curious. I check back on it occasionally to rekindle my drive to save for my future wishlist dolls. <3

13. I do this too, I keep a list of all the stuff I own and would like to own at some point, and where I got said items and such. I keep doll character profiles and who wears what and any other doll related things on my website..

14. I hope everyone's backing up their lists, photos, files and spreadsheets on their computer.* I'm not kidding - I knew someone who lost an entire novel and had to write it again.

* Obviously you need to back to another machine or a stick. I know it seems obvious, but, well, apparently it isn't obvious to everyone. :o

15. I'm as behind on my doll list as I am on scanning art. Geez. Well, no, not exactly.

I've several times started lists of when/how/who, but I've done so much body switching that it is long past what passes for a memory these days. Half the time I don't remember what I named them in a fit of "but she has to have a NAME!" so that, at least, is in my profile. Aside from that, I probably could track *when* I got everyone through Quicken, but not necessarily from whom.

16. I keep all the receipts in a shoebox..stuff bought, sold and shipped just in case something goes astray. I do keep the most up to date doll list in my profile, but I don't list parts and pieces, (or people who are getting a personality transplant) there ;) I have a second list I keep on a back page of my website, just in case I have an oops here. Like the rest of my life, nothing is very organized :o

17. I keep details on a website, mostly so that I can remember when I bought each doll, what their default eyes are, which wigs I own, etc. It's helpful to me--my memory is very poor. ;_;

18. I have not so many dolls but I have the database - not because I don't remember the info but when I'm asked I just give a link with all the answers ready. There is a technical info on each doll (mold, height, weight, eyes brand, list of mods etc.) and character's stories.

19. I use googledocs obsessively for this, and share it with one of my dollie friends, and our dolls are a part of the same crew.

20. I do have a database that includes technical and profile details. Including the ones I have, and the ones I plan to procure.