1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your opinions on layaway?

Aug 11, 2012

1. I prefer buying from companies that offer layaways. Even if I have the total amount already, I still like how layaways allow to split the payments into smaller portions. It makes the impact on my wallet smaller and makes it feel like multiple smaller purchases.

2. I like layaway, even if I prefer to pay all in one time.
      With layaway, I bought 2 two dolls, I can't have if I must wait to have all the money.

3. I just started layaway for a momonita girl. Do I have the money to buy her outright? Heck no! Will I by the end of the summer/layaway? Yes, I have a steady summer job that pays quite well and she'll keep me focused so I won't spend the money on something that wouldn't make me quite so happy. Plus, she's going to take a while to manufacture anyway, so I may as well.

4. I prefer to buy my doll outright so as soon as it is done it will ship, But I know this is not always an option for everyone. I have used Mint On Card for some Xaga dolls, Granado and Iplehouse layaway and they all went perfect. I have a current open layaway with Dollstories. It is wonderful for those who need it. Ive always gotten my dolls just fine. So far with every layaway the doll has been done by the time they are paid off.
      The only thing to really keep in mind is you will not get back any of your money if you change your mind before the doll is paid off. So just make sure you really want the doll and you can cover the monthly payments. If you are at all worried about the payments, Check out Mint On Card for your doll, They do a 6 Month Layaway , which is longer than most sites who cap off at 3 Months. I Think Alice's Collection is like this to, however I have not personally ordered from them.

If you are talking personal layaway's on the second market, that is a totally different story. Make sure you outline before any money is sent what their cancellation policy is, are all payments non refundable? is there a fee to cancel and you get some money back? How much and how often payments are. The biggest thing here, Make sure to use paypal as Goods, not personal, so your money is protected if the seller doesnt ship.

5. I prefer layaways. I can't really afford to buy dolls other wise plus it leaves room if something were to happen. for example, my car broke down and i would afford the part and the doll on a $100 a month layaway vs. recovering from a lump sum of $700 (or whatever the amount of the doll happens to be)

6. I love layaways! Especially for dolls that cost nearly or around 1k
      I only have a certain amount I can spend each month which is not enough to purchase one whole doll but doing layaways, I can purchase 2-3 dolls in the end :thumbup And I don't mind the wait for them whether it be a few months to over a year because I'm busy irl and I have other hobbies to attend to

7. I got my first doll on layaway! I like that it's an option, and for me, being an impulse buyer, it's pretty useful because it prevents me from spending money I save towards a doll fund on other purchases. :sweat

8. I think if its a reputable source a layaway plan is totally fine. I personally prefer full payments but id im short and really want an item, i might go for layaway (but i pay it as soon as i can)

Layaway is a great way to still get the doll of your dreams without having to worry about draining your account!! =)

9. Layaway is great! If you have a steady income, it makes buying dolls so much easier. I can't always afford 300 dollars at once and I'm bad at saving, but I sure can afford 50 dollars a month

10. My 2nd doll ever I got through layaway because I couldn't afford the price up front. It was wonderful. I had that doll for 4 years before I reshelled/sold him. I would do layaway again because I will never be able to afford a doll up front lol.

11. I think they're great! Just be 100% sure you'll be able to pay it all off! But yea, whatever help you pay for your doll, dude! :)

12. I've never bought anything with layaway from a company, but I have from individual sellers and it's allowed me to buy what is probably one of my grails. My rule is that I don't buy anything on layaway that I couldn't possibly pay for up front at that time. It sounds counterintuitive (and I'm somebody who... really likes that instant gratification), but sometimes I feel it just isn't wise to plop down a bunch of money on something at once, and I'd rather spread out payments if possible.

I also think it makes receiving the doll/items/whatever that much more satisfying.

13. Layaways have helped me make some big purchases for my collection so I'm all for them! It's easier to budget in a layaway payment than to try to save up on a tiny income.

14. I personally love layaways! I’m currently almost done paying for my newest doll via MOC on layaway. Today, I received news that my doll has arrived to MOC and they will ship her out as soon as I finish paying her off! I enjoy it because instead of saving the money and placing at aside AND THEN ordering the doll, the doll starts being made when I start my layaway and is able to come home when she’s all paid. I’m not able to fork out hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of dollars in one go, so I really appreciate the layaway option.

15. I think layaways are great! Currently, I've only bought one full doll (and one head) through layaway. However, I also feel the same way about not being able to finish the payment due to life things happening :( But they are really helpful by letting you start paying for a doll now, rather than spending all that time saving up for it.

16. I think layaway is a wonderful option for quick sales, such as limiteds or when you find that Very Important Doll from a private seller. For other situations, I really prefer to pay in full, even if it means saving for a while. It's a lot less stressful for me to make payments to myself in the form of a doll fund than it is to do a layaway.

17. A month ago i would have said never.....but, it happens i wanted to order the new dollshe lala..
      And what happend.....i was able to buy my grail, momonita completly unexpected...
      So i talked to bjddivas, and that was an eyeopener, i tought layaway was, well something
      Thats okay but there not happy with it..
      But to my suprise everybody is so friendly and relaxed with it...
      It is as above mentioned, dont do it if you dont have a stable income,
      But i opens perspective if you really want that one doll...

18. I think dolls that come out as super limited having layaway options is good since not everyone will have that money on hand ready to go, but dolls with a longer ordering period, or are regular probably shouldn't have layaway, if you can't afford it now you probably shouldn't get it >n<;;

19. Layaway are great! I have a stabke income but as I work part time it's a good helper. Thanks to layaway I was able to buy a doll I wanted for two years :)

20. 'Sup everyone. Hope you all are having a wonderful day. I'm wondering what you prefer, layaway, or buying the doll at full price upfront? I'm looking at my finances and realized the company I'm purchasing from does layaway, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that method. I'm a bit dumb... I worry I'd forget a payment, haha! But my wallet would feel so much better if I'm paying in chunks as opposed to the full price at once.

So, what do you guys like better? :)