1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your opinions on layaway?

Aug 11, 2012

1. I /prefer/ upfront due to the process is faster... Lol
      BUT sometimes the dolls just cost too much and layaway is the only option. If you're really not sure if you'll remember layaway payments, set up little reminders in your phone to go off each month so you know to submit your payment!

2. Yeah, I will have to do that. I figure I can get things paid off within 3 months. I worry though- what is something bad financially happens and you can't finish the payments in time? All that time and money gone down the drain. That is my biggest fear about doing layaway. Life likes to throw curve balls.

3. Most places I place layaway with have been great if I've been late or anything! Who were you planning on placing an order with? They all more or less understand life happens, but if you know you're going to be short, send them a message ASAP. If you can just throw them a partial payment rather than your whoel balance, that could be okay too.
      I always opt for a longer layaway, but then pay more as I can.

4. I'm (hopefully) ordering a Magic Time girl from Legend Doll. They have good feedback in their thread here and I see others have had easy, successful payments with them in regards to layaway. I want to put 60% down instead of 40% though. I think they allow up to 6 month long layaways.

5. I prefer short layaways (usually half upfront, half about a month later). I just have a hard time letting all that money go at once, hah!

6. I prefer in full. Like you said, what if I lose my job? I sometime do very short layaways for psychological reasons (makes it feel like less money), but I always have all the money I need on hand for the purchase.

7. I prefer to pay in full, but often use layaway to justify the shopping to myself, because it is easier to justify 1/3 of the amount in a month than the full price.

Legend Doll is the best when it comes to layaway. I bought from them on layaway many times and all good.

8. I bought my Ginger and Carol with layaway. Layaway allows me to buy something when I can't afford it at once, and it pushes me to start saving money for it.

9. I have the same opinion toward layaway as credit card. For some people, sure, it is a amazing thing. But for most of people, it just open up the chance for unnecessary spending. I know many doll owners that get too many dolls on layaway, and some of them sell the dolls during or after the layaway, because they no longer want that doll.

10. It can really come down to things like financial security, as starting a layaway and being unable to finish due to a loss or change in income would be terrible. If your finances are stable for the foreseeable future, then layaway would allow you to make smaller payments while still having some extra cash for whatever else, provided your car/dishwasher/fridge/etc didn't decide to die. I'm much more fond of paying upfront, though, that way it's done and the doll is mine. Still requires saving, but if an emergency comes up you can take care of it without breaking out of your layaway (provided it requires payment each month).

11. I personally prefer to pay full price up front for my dolls. I have never done a layaway before, mostly because I haven't had the need to.

If, however, I were to see a limited doll that was a bit out of my price range, I wouldn't be opposed to a layaway!

12. I did put a doll on lay-a-way once to hold the sale price, hurray at saving money. I paid it off immediately though, like within a week. I think it would worry me to just add it to my bills and to keep thinking about another bill over my head. I like to be able to pay my dolls off quickly, even if that means saving at home a month or so to do so, and hoping no one else buys said 'in stock' doll. I think if it was something really bad on sale I would do it again, but I would still want to pay it off as quickly as possible.

13. I prefer doing one full payment just because it gets it out of the way and let's me get my doll faster, but I don't have any problem with doing layaway if I really need to stake a claim on a doll immediately. It doesn't make me nervous to so layaway because I'm very careful with my finacial situation and I know it will all get paid.

14. I have only done layaway once, because if I paid in full for the doll upfront, I would’ve gotten in trouble because I have an imposed daily spending limit. :XD: So the layaway helped me break that down.

I just finished paying it off the week before last, though I won’t get my boy for another few months yet!

15. I usually prefer paying all up front, just so that I know that I definitley will have all the money, instead of worrying about the possibilities of something coming up and not being able to pay because of it. :)

16. I do think that layaways are a great option to have. I don't necessarily pay in a longer term anyway but for someone who doesn't have enough upfront, it's great to have this kind of service. In a way it makes this expensive hobby more forgiving.

17. I definitely think that layaways are a great tool, since you can get your doll and the extra time lets you build a "cushion" in case a personal emergency happens in the meantime. Personally, I'm a bit impatient so they're not really for me. I do like DDE's option of paying a deposit when you order and then the remainder when the doll is ready to ship -- it's a happy medium.

Of course, I budget fairly extensively, so I like having steady payments going out, which is why layaway is attractive to me. Too bad I'm too darned impatient!

18. I just started my first doll layaway about 5 minutes ago, and while I won't have a fully formed opinion until I've received the doll and can comment on the complete experience, I really like the idea of a layaway. Personally, I'm not the best with money, so the idea of holding onto money for months and months until I have enough to pay off a doll in one purchase kinda scares me, as I tend to be a bit impulsive with money, and I might see that big number adding up in my bank account and say something like "oh, I can order one pizza..." or something like that, and then next thing you know, the money is gone. But if I get a layaway, then I can just treat it like a bill and pay a small amount off at every paycheque, and the money is out of my account before I can even think of spending it on something else.

19. I grew up watching mom put our school supplies on layaway so we could afford new backpacks, binders, etc. I've also watched as most stores stopped offering layaways due to credit cards. It's frustrating because I'm not always willing to put it on a credit card, because those charge interest. A layaway does not. So, when I saw that most of these super-expensive doll companies offered it, I was excited. It was a way that us lower-income folks could afford these things. I have made extensive use of layaways and never had a problem. Of course, I understand being nervous about something new.

I usually try to make sure I have a "rainy day fund" so the money allotted to doll payments doesn't have to be diverted to something else in case of an emergency. Maybe that's something you could try?

20. I love layaways because it supposedly saves me money that could be used towards something also important since its smaller payments. Also if ordering through a dealer it means the doll will still be made while on layaway so paying it off faster doesn't mean the doll will arrive any faster. I know I have a layaway for 5 months. The company has a turn around of 5-6 months. So I'm really losing nothing if I still have to wait :D I'll prob pay it off sooner when I get a moment since I'm that excited for the boy!