1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your opinions on layaway?

Aug 11, 2012

1. I think layaway can be good and bad.
      If you are sure of it. Then it can be a good thing. Most layaways are non refundable so make sure you want it. Also, make sure you can afford the layaways especially if you do more than one.
      I do have one one layaway right now. I was saving up for another and she sold out. So, I tried layaway for the first time. It has been great so far.
      So, if you think you want to do a layaway just make sure you want it and can afford it. You should be ok with it. Oh, make sure you are comfortable with the company or person also and have a paper trail for possible problems.

2. I'm doing my first really big layaway now and I have to admit, it's caused me way more stress than I anticipated. It's knowing that every month x amount has to be set aside. I bit off more than I could really comfortably chew and it was a bad idea.

It was the only way I could afford such an expensive order but I think if I were to do it again, i'd do it as a much longer layaway period with much smaller amounts if possible. The committment I had was just too hard to maintain and left me with no money for anything else fun at the end of every month which i've found really unpleasant.

I think I vastly prefer my old method of saving up a chunk of change and paying it all up front. Far less stress and sense of obligation, but not really an option with limited dolls. *sigh*

3. I like the idea of layaway, but overall prefer to just save up money and pay in full. Having to set aside money and worry if I’ll have enough for the rest of the month makes me uncomfortable and worried if an emergency came up. I would consider a long layaway for a very expensive purchase or a limited doll that I haven’t saved for.

4. Every doll I've purchased has been on layaway. In the past I was a bit more reckless with my spending and wound up selling most of my older dolls (except my tiny Sooms and three 45cm dolls), but with my new layaway I waited about a year to see if the doll would be re-released and when it wasn't, did months of research to make sure I would find something I was happy with. In the end I was able to get a company to resin match a head for me for a bit extra so I know for sure I want him.

The layaway just makes my budget easier, and the shop I ordered with starts working on the order the moment the first payment is made. So for me it means I can get the doll a bit sooner and I can organize my funds nicely knowing how much of each paycheque is reserved. <3 But I can see why people would prefer to pay the lump sum too.

5. I love layaway, it's the biggest pro to the hobby, being able to get the sculpt or fullset you want. The only down side is knowing that they only start the making process AFTER your done layaway instead of like the middle of it when it's noted that yes your committed and give it less time with waiting for it to come to you.

6. Honestly without layaway I'd never be able to own a doll, so I am eternally grateful for layaways!

7. Never done layaway from a company but I’m always willing to offer it on anything I’m selling. Life’s expensive!

8. I must admit that I’ve built my entire collection using layaway. I’ve always dealt with reputable people, whether it be through doll companies, dealers, or individuals in the second-hand marketplace. I’ve done careful research, set a pre-determined budget, and carefully followed through to bring each doll home. In this way I’ve managed to build a wonderful crew I can be truly proud of. Looking back, I’m totally jazzed that I managed to pull it all off on such a limited budget. It’s miraculous really!:)

#588 PoeticSoul, Dec 11, 2019
      Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    9. I personally love layaways. I am unable to save a chunk of money so layaway is much easier. I mostly only buy in stock dolls from places like Alice's or DDE.

You just have to make sure you REALLY want the doll for layaway, since most (all?) People do not give refunds.

I prefer long layaways, a payment once a month, since stuff happens and I might not be able to pay weekly (sickness, bad check, insurance, bills, etc) and well, I've had unpleasant interactions when I asked for an extension in the past because I was sick...

The downside for layaways for me... is that I keep putting more on layaway! I got three layaways going right now, and I need to keep myself from adding more to that. I want all the dolls though!

Anyway this got rambly- I like layaway options, especially long layaway in case something happens irl. Plus, I like when they offer extensions if needed!

10. I have used layaway and think it's good that companies offer this, especially for emergencies. The part I don't like is always thinking about when the next payment needs to be made, so I prefer to save up and pay in full.

Also, I think companies offering layaways should have the entire process laid out clearly on their site. Buyers should know upfront what percentage the first payment is, the number of instalments and how long they'll have to pay it off.

11. I think Layaway is a best way to deal with your budget while keeping up with this hobby. The only one thing that I'm afraid of Layaway is: forgetting the next payment dates :doh

I allow myself buying one doll in one month (paid in full). However, in the same month, if I am still aiming for another head or doll, I will use Layaway to pay.

So basically, I prefer to pay in full, only using Layaway when I've already reach my limit (one doll for one month)

12. I did a layaway earlier this year (with very low monthly payments), but still strongly prefer to pay in full because I don't like giving myself yet another reason to have to worry about unforeseen circumstances in my life.

13. While I seldom use it, I think layaway is wonderful & always offer it when I'm selling. It can be very difficult to get enough money\\\a doll. Layaway allows you time to get it together

The only thing about layaway is you better be sure you want the doll & can make the payments. Usually if you change your mind or don't finish payments you'll lose the money you have paid already. Just be careful with yourself & spending.

14. I tend to prefer upfront because it means that the doll will start being made once payment goes through, but I've recently started putting some dolls on layaway because that allows me to not spend a huge chunk of money at once!

15. I personally like layaway. It will take them almost 2-3 month to make the doll anyway, I can just pay by batch and when I almost paid off the layaway, I can expect the doll to come home. Also I will never have many layaway at the same time. This is my bottom line.

16. I'm considering it, although I'd prefer to pay in full, but I'm really undecided for my next bjd at the moment. Sometimes it can be really useful and the only way some people can pay. But I'd prefer to just get it over with and pay in full if I can xD

17. Best thing ever! 99% of my dolls have been PIF, but if there's a limited, expensive one that shows up out of the blue and my bank account isn't quite ready for immediate action, it's nice to have the alternative chance at ownership. :thumbup

18. I completely understand the mindset of "if I cant afford it, in full, right now, then I shouldn't get it..." and that's exactly where I started in this hobby.

I recently realized, however, that layaway actually gives me LESS financial anxiety. I find it interesting that several people have said it gives them more stress than PIF!

Layaway lets me pay for a doll in smaller increments, which gives me less anxiety about dipping into my savings... in theory, I could pay for all my dolls currently on layaway, but it would drain a huge chunk of my savings, and that's not something I'm keen on doing.

And, of course, layaway lets people own things they never thought they had a chance to own!

I dont see layaway as any different than building and then paying off a credit card... except you dont get to complete "buying" the product until it's paid off.

So, yeah... as I always say: do what works for you! :)

19. Save up is not an option for me, because I always spend that money for something else. Layaways are great for me, I bought my boy's body with layaway, and start a new long term one for a new doll right now. It's like a bill, I agree, but that's the garantee that i buy a doll and not something else. And of course if I'm ok with the layaway it means that I want that doll really.

20. My view is that without it I probably wouldn't be able to be in this hobby. Saving is all well and good for cheaper dolls, but the more expensive ones... well lets just say for whatever reason the universe likes to throw things at me when it sees me having a good figure building up in my bank account.