1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What can you fairly expect from a doll company?

Oct 18, 2007

1. well the fair minimum in communication I think should at least be that if you mail the company you get a reply within a week. after a order I would expect a good confermation mail preferably with a tracking number

weakness and things in the resin.. yes I do think they should notify the clients, we pay enough so we should be able to get a good doll.

well seeing that its an internet buy I am used to it being a "to the door" guaranty on the dolls, but if the doll is damaged before/during shipping I think the company should replace the item without more cost seeing that it is not our fault

2. As a customer, what is it fair to expect from a doll company? I'm not talking about what you'd like, but the absolute minimum you expect as a customer.

Great communication is a huge deal to me. I like to have proper email back and forth, but I'm not worried so much about a phone number, or a 24/7 customer service team. Most issues I have with the company can be resolved on their time, so I don't expect more than that. A Q&A Board is always nice though, just in case the email is TOO slow.

Should there be a 24/7 customer service team with an email/phone number? Is a doll company absolutely expected to sell worldwide, have a Q&A board, have a tracking number or include a certificate? Should they be in a box or is a default bag okay?

Most of this was answered up above, but the last question. They should absolutely be in a box. A cushioned box with a plastic face protector. They cost too much to get them broken, because then it takes TOO long to try to resolve issues. So yea, if I knew a company did not package in boxes, I would not order from them.

Do you expect a doll company to tell you if their resin has a weakness (brittleness, UV instability, ect.) or that their resin doesn't match any other company? If their body has a flaw, are they liable for fixing or replacing it (such as a known wonky wrist joint or something)?

I don't think any company needs to tell someone if their resin doesn't match another company. Think of how many are out there? Also, if the resin has a weakness, I doubt that it's a constant. Maybe one batch. I don't feel like a company would intentionally send you a bad product, because they enjoy repeat business. If the doll comes broken, chipped, or wrong, then YES, they should be held responsible BUT, if the doll just has loose stringing, they shouldn't have to fix it. Re-stringing can fix that issue.

What about defective dolls? Are they required to replace them? If so, free or at a cost? For how long? Where is the line between the company's responsibility and the customer's? What do you think are the responsibilities of a doll company towards its' customers?

Thirty days should be the minimum. From the day the doll enters your home, they should be responsible for anything non-accidental that happens up until that month period. You should have to pay to ship out, but not for anything else, such as parts or their shipping. Then again, there's not much "non-accidental" that would happen between day 1 and day 30.

3. Ah, love these questions.
      If a dollcompany wants to have many customers and a good reputation they should atleast follow these things:
      *Nicely made doll, with good quality (duh)
      *Clothes, wigs, shoes, eyes and all that with good quality that lasts for a long time (like atleast 1/2 years)
      *They should have a q&aboard, it's very important, and a suggestionboard if they feel like they need to make the dollcompany a bit better.
      *People that are recieving emails about customers questions about their orders, at 24/7. A worried customer should not have to wait 3 days!
      *If they send out a doll that's been paid for, but the quality of the doll is crap and have some defects, they should be able to replace it or fix it somehow. A fullpaying customer should get what they ask for without any problems since it's the companys responsability to fullfill the paying customers order, and if they want to gain customers and have a good reputation they should definetely not send out defected dolls and not do anything about it.

That's what I think.

4. I personally don't demand 24/7 customer support lines, but no more than a 3 day turnaround for questions, comments, complaints is important. (That gives room for weekends or holidays.) And absolutely a company should have support of the written type in every language they intend to sell to. If they ship to the US, they should have clear English support. If they sell in Japan, Japanese. Korea, Korean. All of the above - they should have support in all of those languages. And barely functional communication is not acceptable. If someone has a question, they should feel confident that the answer will actually respond to their question clearly and accurately. (I tend to forgive a lack of this standard with doll companies, but I always regret it. It really is a minimum for me to feel happy about my purchase.)

Time-frames promised should be kept to, or if there is any delay beyond what is expected, a clear reason should be given. If there are further delays or the delay extends beyond 2 or 3 weeks from the initially quoted time, some monetary or physical aknowledgement of this error should be given. At very minimum, a chance to cancel the purchase due to the extreme delay should be given. (In case the doll were a gift or another better deal had appeared in that extended length of time.) I find company promises to be contracts and therefore unbreakable. I'm a bit unforgiving of this.

Understanding and providing support for errors on their part. If a doll's quality is in question, investigation and replacement of damaged goods is a must. If a company does not stand behind their product it is unreasonable for them to be in business. Were they a US company, the better business bureau would issue warnings against a company that did not uphold their products. If for example, my doll came cracked or stained, I would expect a replacement part to be sent quickly with an appology. (They should of course require photos and if one customer makes several complaints of the same sort, the company should also know not to sell again to that customer.)

Tracking numbers should be freely provided to any who request them, and the company should always use them. This is as much for their protection and reputation as for the customer's peace of mind. It's not difficult to do. They simply should do this.

I do have a seperate standard for individual artists who are making heads or doll clothes etc. I understand that these businesses are not businesses, but hobbies. For this reason, language is not as much their responsibility as the buyer's. If it is clear an artist is Korean, then a buyer should know that they need to find a korean speaker to get the full support they want when contacting a small-time artist. Tracking numbers should still be used, but again, the seller is no longer a true business, so the buyer should take some responsibility to ask for this or deal with consequences.
      Support for errors made by the artist themselves is still necessary. If someone orders a face-up or a custom head and it comes damaged... anyone who sells, even small-time, should be prepared to accept their hand in replacing damaged goods.
      Time-frames need to be more flexible here too. HOWEVER, I still think that if the delay is greater than say, a month, some form of physical appology is necessary. A partial refund, an appology card with the item... something to make it clear they will not make a habit of delays.

5. The absolute minimum, hmm.

Well, if you are going to sell to English-speaking countries, you need someone who can speak English. This is where so many of the companies fall down...they seem to run their translations through freaking Babelfish or something and it's all nonsense. Too, we don't need to discuss what happens when a customer service rep with a nasty chip on their shoulder starts dealing with customer issues...we've all seen the threads on that company by now.

Yes, if the doll is defective, they need to own up to their mistakes and fix it free. It is also a nice gesture if a doll part breaks for a non-defect reason to offer to send another one (like a leg, or a hand, or what have you) for free, but if that's a problem, you should be able to order for a fee any part that breaks on a doll as long as the company's in business.

As for shipping...for the price we pay, I certainly expect well-packed EMS with a tracking number. There's no other reason to charge $70 to ship a doll. I have had dolls arrive in boxes, and dolls arrive bubblewrapped in a cocoon inside a bag (Dream of Doll). I do not mind either. Frankly, I'm pissed DOD stopped making the bags because those suckers are totally useful whereas I have lots of boxes, that I DO use, but still the bags make great luggage. Shipping a doll inside a carry bag, as long as it is protected, is just fine with me.

Telling me about resin matches would be nice, especially if they sell heads without bodies, but I would never expect that. It's going above and beyond. Wonderful, but absolutely not necessary.

What it boils down to for me is have someone with an understanding of Western manners who can fluently speak English on your team if you're going to open up a global business. English IS the official language of the global *business* community now and has been for a few years. Time to get on the bandwagon. Someone who understands me and is sympathetic to my issues at delays, defects, whatever, will go a long way with me. If I know a company has someone like that on their staff, or has a nice Western dealer, I'll choose them first. Hence why I really wish JunkySpot would become a dealer for more doll companies =/

6. I expect the regular things.

A website that I can get through with some ease.
      Someone available during work hours who speaks clear english for me to communicate with.
      An order confirmation and shipping notice.
      And a good "make customer happy" policy in place for when things do go wrong (as they sometimes can). And this covers everything from damaged dolls, incorrect orders, and really anything that has made dealing with the company an unpleasant situation.
      A box, for sure.

7. I believe they should be pretty easy to reach, with good service, well-protected dolls, well-made dolls, Q and A, and should solve doll problems when it comes to replacing if the doll gets lost/broken during shipping.

When it comes to information, the buyer and the seller should have equal information on the product, so there isn't a seller advantage. The buyer knows exactly what they're getting, and the seller has disclosed all information. Other things can be worked out, but companies should definitely tell us all they can about resin, factory, etc.

8. As a customer, what is it fair to expect from a doll company? I'm not talking about what you'd like, but the absolute minimum you expect as a customer.
      Simply, a doll company must provide the product that is promised to me, that works properly, and has some high degree of likeness to their photos. Most dolls I've seen don't look too far off from their company photos, but I don't want a doll that looks very different from the photos I'm basing my order from. I had this problem before, because the doll's eyes didn't look like the company pictured them, but I hadn't ordered the doll, yet.

I've heard people getting dolls from some places where the mechanical aspects (i.e., the joints) don't fit together properly, and end up not working correctly. Even if the doll doesn't look exactly like the pictures, the very least a company can do is make sure the joints fit together. Even if the doll's design doesn't permit it to move as well as others by very nature of the sculpt, if the elbow joint doesn't fit together... that's not a design flaw; that's bad quality control.

Should there be a 24/7 customer service team with an email/phone number? Is a doll company absolutely expected to sell worldwide, have a Q&A board, have a tracking number or include a certificate? Should they be in a box or is a default bag okay?
      I'd like the companies to have hours that are a little more flexible. I don't know if they already do this, but I would like the people who answer questions to be around a little longer than working hours. It's sometimes hard to reach people if there's a 12 hour time difference, because someone's always at work or sleeping.

I like the certificate; it helps tell the next owner (if there will be one) that the doll is legit. I also like both the box and bag idea, because I've had both. Having a bag makes it easier for me to transport my doll if I want to. You don't need a special bag if the bag the company sent is padded. It keeps the dirt away.

I don't like bags being used for replacements in shipping. I want a box, and a mummy or foam cut-out. My second doll came inside of a bag (within a box), but I'd rather it was also shipped in a sturdier box

Do you expect a doll company to tell you if their resin has a weakness (brittleness, UV instability, ect.) or that their resin doesn't match any other company? If their body has a flaw, are they liable for fixing or replacing it (such as a known wonky wrist joint or something)?
      If they know that there is a flaw in how their dolls are made, then they should fix it. Just saying so is going to lose business. That goes with telling you that the resin doesn't match anything, or that the resin has a defect. Telling the consumer that is going to cost them business. It's up to them to correct the issue before the product goes out to the public. If you know your doll is defective, why would you sell it?

I'd like it if doll companies told us what their resins tend to work with. I'd also like to know what bodies/heads their sculpts can be on without modification. Yes, it seems counterproductive for them to say that someone else's bodies can work with your head, but it might also make people who want to make a hybrid come to their site because they know that the resin is a close match to the doll in question, or will work well. Even though DoA has a place for resin comparisons, it hasn't been updated in a long, long time; people are still asking what resin works with what company. It would make things less difficult if the companies had some idea.

What about defective dolls? Are they required to replace them? If so, free or at a cost? For how long? Where is the line between the company's responsibility and the customer's? What do you think are the responsibilities of a doll company towards its' customers?
      I think companies should be able to replace something if it's a defect on their end. If the shoulder joint doesn't fit properly, but they can send you a new upper torso or a new arm to replace it, they should do it for free if you can prove it's the company's fault. If the doll has some kind of damage during shipping, I know of companies who will send you a replacement part if you email them.

I figure it should be free to replace something if it's not your fault. If you did something to make the doll not work properly - bad mod, for example - you should be willing to pay for the part that you messed up if the company is willing to send it to you. If they won't charge you, then so be it, but offering is the polite thing to do.

9. Should there be a 24/7 customer service team with an email/phone number? Is a doll company absolutely expected to sell worldwide, have a Q&A board, have a tracking number or include a certificate? Should they be in a box or is a default bag okay?
      These are small companies, so I don't expect them to have 24/7 customer support. It would be really unreasonable for me to expect that. Likewise, I don't EXPECT companies to sell world-wide, but if they don't sell to the US, I have no interest in them (because I live in the US). I would definitely prefer my doll be packaged in a box, because a bag in the mail just doesn't seem very safe. I also demand a tracking number because it soothes my anxiety.

I expect the doll company's resin not to have any brittleness or instability. At this point in the game, they've had time to find out what works and what doesn't and they shouldn't be selling a defective product.

If they sell me a defective doll, they sure are required to replace it. If I've spent hundreds of dollars on the doll, I expect it to be in perfect condition when it arrives on my doorstep - not defective, not broken. If it arrives broken or has obvious defects, I expect it to be replaced by the company.

10. This for me, too. I like dolls that aren't shipped to the US (like Unoa's), but I don't want to have to go through a proxy when there are so many dolls easily available that can come to me directly.

11. the only thing i like in a company is honesty. don't tell me something will be finished and shipped by X date, and then not actually finish it, let alone ship it, for weeks after. it really jades my experience with a company and makes me only want to deal with 3rd party resellers that keep items in stock.

12. Directly from companies:
      -Reliable customer service and by that at least a minimum understanding of English (Even if they have bablefish my email) With a email responce within a week or less.

That's it I guess, Communication is important if there is something confusing or for when something goes wrong.

13. I didn't bring it up, but I agree with decent English. I've only bought from two companies since actually buying BJDs, and I've seen a drastic difference between the two. One has very good English, and I can understand completely what they tell me in emails.

The other one is not so good; it fact, it's sometimes hard to understand what they're talking about on their website as well as with emails. I actually make an effort not to have to contact them because they respond in a way that's really confusing. Luckily, I haven't had to email them for the more recent purchases I've made, so I can deal with it.

14. Well, having finished an apprenticeship as a merchant, I always love to search for company feedback on DoA. It is extremly valuable. I also saw that Spiritdoll is somewhat lacking in customer communication. Alas, clothing and EID is not easy, and they had some items which I liked for him. Thus I decided to take the risky route.

I ordered some clothes from Spiritdoll for my big boy. I paid five minutes after finishing my order in full. Besides, my order says still "payment pending" (after 4 days). So much for customer service. As many others, I simply hope that the items will appear out of nothing sometime.

After that, I detected they offered also some jointed hands. I would love to have a pair for my boy. After a short thought I decided not to get them there (bought them elsewhere), because I am really afraid that they do not register my second order, or won't pack it together with the clothes, so that I would have to pay twice for shipment. Seemed too risky for me.

I really think Spiritdoll has some nice stuff, so we shall see how they perform with this order...

So basically, they lost 100 $ from me. If any company can afford that only due to lacking communication, then something is mighty wrong, methinks...

15. Good communication that's courteous and respectful.
      Equal quality to what is shown in pictures.
      No lying, as that makes me think less of the companie's reputation.