1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do when you are uninspired by a doll?

Dec 22, 2016

1. I'll let them sit for a while, maybe some a little too long, then I'll consider putting them up for sale. I've got one, my very first doll, laid in his box under my bed. Always meant to try selling him, but there's still some sentimentality there. I have one impulse MSD, who hasn't managed to inspire me much at all. I'm seriously considering selling him, even thinking about taking the photos tomorrow. I'd rather not see him go to waste on my shelf, I'd rather he go to someone who will adore him more than I have.

2. When I feel uninspired the best thing really is to sell them. I used to own a few dolls when I just entered the hobby, but after a while I lost interest in all of them and sold them after looking up possible faceups and wig changes and deciding that nothing was going to make me love the sculpt more. I was rather reluctant to completely overhaul my collection, but I don't regret that decision at all. It's much better giving up a doll entirely and moving on with a new one or the ones that I love now, than buying new accessories and thus spending even more money when that goes not guarantee rekindling that spark. I'd rather focus on the dolls I currently love and plan for dolls I really would like to own. On reflection the ones I had were impulse buys at the beginning of the hobby. Now I never buy dolls on impulse and unplanned because that attachment will not last and in the end having to sell them again is quite a hassle. Owning just one or two dolls has its perks: the more I interact with them, the more attached I become and it would be near impossible to part with the one doll I own now.

#42 raphaelite, Mar 20, 2019
      Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    3. To me, "not bonding with" a doll and "being uninspired with" a doll are very different. I have both; one who I could sell tomorrow and never miss, and one who I would be sad to sell, respectively.

If not bonding, and not interested in it, by all means feel free to sell

If you like the doll, and want to love it, but nothing is working out/coming to you, my advice would be to step back and gather inspiration. I love going to stores and taking pictures of real clothes and trims and fabrics, and making a pinterest board. Find something you really like (a material, a concept, a color scheme, a detail, etc) and see if your doll "wants it," so to speak. Rework their concept entirely, if needed, try something unexpected, as other have said, and so on. That's where I'm at with one of my dolls... we'll see how it goes :D best of luck!