1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do when you feel disconnected from your doll?

Feb 28, 2012

1. New wigs or eye color always helps. Maybe qa new faceup. Changing the character. Failing that I sold mine. I tried for a really long time to make it work but normally you just know. You kind of have a sense after a box opening if they look right.

2. Have you ever had that happen? I bought a Sword Dancer Kamau when it came out, completely excited for him since he sort of looked like Teal'c from SG-1. He was my third doll (I have 5 now) and Though I just loved him initially, I wasn't getting the spark I normally got from my kids. Now it's years later, and despite my love of his aesthetic beauty, I still have yet to make or buy clothes for him. I was thinking about selling him, but there's this little voice in my head that is like 'noooo, that's your bb!' Plus I'd probably never get any takers. XD Anyone else ever had a hard decision like that? I want to know that I'm not the only one that has struggled with eyes too large for their belly.

3. I have posted it before, but the doll I had the most trouble with is my DZ Mo.
      I loved his looks, but when I finally got him I was in awe. He looked really bad compared to my first doll (didn't know he was odd sized at that time). I actually wanted to send him back to the previous owner. And at that point I thought it would never work out. But when I had changed almost everything about him (no new resin parts), it still didn't click. Still kept thinking about selling him. I gave him a final chance and send him off for a new face + total character overhaul. That was his rescue. And luckily for him I also have that little "don't sell me" voice.

So I'd say give him another (final) chance :)

4. I agree with Toxic_nightmist.
      Give one final chance and it might just be a miracle idea.
      But I'd only say give one final chance if you have the money to do so and are willing to spend the time to go through the journey.

I had this happen with my WS Volks DD Alna head, and debated selling her for a bit. Only had bought eyes for her. After awhile something didn't click with me and her. It felt like I couldn't really talk to her, so to say. And I don't really have money to spend willy nilly so I couldn't give her another chance by buying her a body and such niceties. So now she's being sold to whomever comes along and wants to buy her. Some dolls just don't work out, it's normal (at least it is normal, in my personal opinion).

But I hope you can find out what it right for you to do.
      Fight for the possibility of keeping the doll or sell the doll to a home that will also love the doll, maybe even more than you did.

I wish you a lot of good luck! (:

5. Aww, you guys are great <3. Money isn't really a issue, I don't think he'd go for much anyways, since all he is is the original face up and a nakie yet hunky boy XD. I suppose it's just one of those life changes things that come round once in awhile. Toxic, Mo-3 was my very first doll, and I have a Megi as well. For some reason I just love the DZ molds, so I'm glad you finally found your love for him!

6. I find myself losing love for one of my dolls.... but then, she is supposed to be a shell for one of my characters. As the character, I'm finding that she just doesn't work with my other dolls. Proportionally, her body is a lot bigger and thicker compared to my female Super Gem, who should be the tallest of my characters. What may end up happening is I may end up looking for a sculpt that fits the character as well as this doll's sculpt, then send the original doll off to get a new faceup so that it is no longer the character that doesn't work for it. I still love the doll, just... not as the character. She was my first doll, and now that my other characters are shelled in Supergems and a Souldoll, her character needs a body to match.

7. I've never 'fallen out of love' with my dolls, but sometimes I do get a little bored. I agree with all the above posts, a change of pace can be nice sometimes. New wig, new eyes, new faceup maybe? :) That always takes me out of the slump!

8. Sometimes faceup or even eye color/ wig color can dramatically change how the doll feels.
      I had a problem bonding with my MSD Midori, and after I changed her eyes, I loved her.

But there is also another doll that I couldn't bond with, no matter how hard I tried.
      So I think I would sell it.

9. Then I may change their style first! :) Like sending them out for new face up, buying new wig and eyes, giving them new name, etc... I can say that this method has helped me many times before.

10. I would try to change up their style or faceup first but if I still wasn't completely in love with the doll I'd probably sell it. They are just too expensive to justify keeping when I'm not enjoying having it. I'd rather spend money on a doll I would really love and enjoy.

11. When I have a disconnect, I usually try a new faceup, sometimes a new wig, rarely but occasionally new eyes, I guess the usual. But if that just doesn't work, I usually sell them. However, if they just don't sell and don't sell and don't sell, I will give them a second chance. Sadly, they tend to get put up for sale a second time if I still can't figure out how to bond. Sometimes I even consider reshelling if I just can't figure it out!

12. i might be one of the few exceptions but i bond with the particular doll/sulpt before i buy them. yes....i won't spend money on a doll i don't intend to keep, once i have set my mind on getting it it is because in my mind they are perfect and have already become the character itself i had them in mind for and i start viewing them as such, i do take sometime to fall in love them and once i've made up my mind, that's all it takes to know its a keeper. there are tons of bjd's out there that i find gorgeous and tempted to get, but since they don't fit a character enough or at all for me to add them even to my list i pass them up, somehow if i don't have a concrete purpose and i simply find them pretty i figure eventually i will tire of them. i own 5 at the time and a blank head, plus i got this other one on lay away. they are all characters with defined personalities and stories, i view them like that and love them to bits, i don't think i'll ever be falling out of love with them or have any issue with bonding, so i don't think i'd ever be getting rid of any of them. the only way i would is if i found my self in a real tight situation and i'd have to sell them, and i hope i am never pushed to that point. i love them all to bits <3

13. I've never been in that kind of situation actually? Something like I already bonded with my dolls even before they come home since they have characters and back stories and yeah. The only thing I've felt near to 'not bonding with it' is the fact that I don't always want to take pictures of them but as Archangel said,
      :)

14. Seems like often people decide they are 'not bonding' way too soon IMO, they don't try very hard to try out a different style or concept or anything and end up just reselling them. Also seems like the culprits of quick reselling are usually impulse-buyers and people short on imagination... :/ Just what I've observed, sorry...

I don't believe any doll is ever beyond help. People usually just run out of ideas or effort.

Also, the sooner you abandon your old idea, the sooner you will be able to come up with a new x10 more awesome one. Just consider it.

15. When I feel the bond slipping I do my best to spend more time with them. It's usually my boy. He gets moody and sometimes I just don't have the energy.

Try sitting with your doll and see if you feel anything.

16. i had 3 hujoo cats i just could not bond with.. i got them eyes and painted them and all that fun stuff.. only to tosses them on a table like they were common barbie dolls.. i didnt care for them at all.. i ended up selling them to others who loved them so much. i just dont have time or space for something i cant bond with. the 2 girls i have now i love to bits.. and the 2 new ones coming was love at first sight!!!

17. It's a little weird how bonds work. I received my first doll and was instantly attached then spent ages agonising over the second, choosing carefully, but when I finally found her and she arrived, we just didn't... click. I dressed her up, I bought her clothes, I tried different wigs but nothing made her more appealing to me which I found odd because I chose her in the first place. So! I ended up selling her and now I'm waiting for my third doll who I've fallen madly in love with and am almost positive there will be no trouble bonding with :'D

18. One of my dolls didn't bond with me. I disliked everything about him the moment I saw him (wrong nose, wrong mouth, wrong chin, wrong color, wrong size) so I've packed him away and when I get the time, I'm going to sell him.

Another one of my dolls I'm having a hard time bonding. But I believe he has potential so I'm going to give him a better faceup and try harder. The fact that he is limited and I might have a hard time finding something that works better has stopped me from selling him.

19. Put them away for a little while, change their clothes or make them new ones... *shrugs*

20. When I feel disconnected with a doll I will give it a complete makeover and see if I like the new look. I might do this a few times and if it still doesn't work then I'll probably end up selling it. It usually takes several months to over a year before I'm ready to give up on a doll and sell it, though.