1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you like about big dolls?

Aug 23, 2020

1. I'm a huge fan of littler sculps but I can't deny bigger ones have their advantages. mostly being easier to sew for!! if I had a dollar for every hour I spent finagling some tiny project...

I definitely agree with the more mature sculpt selection! Trying to find tinies that dont look like little kids is a struggle

2. I like my bigger dolls because I feel like I can put more detail into doll clothing and accessories that can be seen, if that makes sense. And posing just... feels more satisfying? But I love love love my smaller dolls because photography with them feels so much more feasible and satisfying.

3. The biggest one I have with me is rosenlied holiday
      I think it is not the size that got me in
      It was just the doll itself
      The sculpt etc

I like small dolls in general
      Now more into cocoriang 1/12 size
      But I would say bigger dolls have their advantages
      I think it would be the more details of the doll clothes

4. my plan back when i just found this hobby was to get msd sized, 60cm just seemed too big, and then i forgot all about it. then fast forward this past summer, where i was looking at getting a Luts model delf blanchet, saw their 65cm and 70cm boys and thought that's just nuts.

and then i brought my first doll, a 60cm boy, which at that time my brain was just bouncing between "60cm! thats huge!" and "want want want".

i got him home and went "youre actually pretty small, and weight less than a cat, i should go bigger". and thats how i got my next doll at 71cm. but mostly, my decision is because i want to make accessories for them, anything too small will just make me go cross-eyed and just don't want to do it.

5. Very few 1/6 mature dolls (which almost didn't exist in 2009 when I started) meant if I wanted adult looking dolls, especially the male ones, it's 1/3 or nothing, I'm afraid. Them being bigger makes their clothes less fiddly, but if I could shrink my entire 1/3 collection down I might just do it.

There is something to be said for the fabric scale look of cloth and its drape on bigger dolls, which I do love, and the heft and presence of the big dolls is satisfying.

#45 Rosslyn, Dec 18, 2020
      Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    6. Before handling SDs in person I thought they were gonna be way too huge and unmanageable but it's definitely become my preferred size for dolls. It's just something about their proportions and the way they look that I love; all my favorite sculpts are in the 1/3 scale. Plus you can achieve a lot more detail in their sculpts, faceups, clothes, and accessories at a larger size. And general maintenance like swapping out eyes or restringing is way easier for me on a bigger doll than a teeny tiny one.

The large size also feels more "unique" to me, SDs certainly stand out compared to other dolls. Growing up I was used to cheap, lightweight plastic fashion dolls that are usually no bigger than 30cm, so seeing such a large and elegant doll with a really satisfying, quality weight to it is just...something else! Like some others in the thread have said, their large size almost makes them feel more like tiny little people and I love that. Seeing them lounge around in my room being so big but also tiny at the same time is incredibly endearing.

7. I believe bigger dolls are easier to photograph. All my dolls are 37 cm or smaller as I like small things but I sometimes envy the amazing photos I see of the bigger dolls

8. My 73 cm Loong Soul doll is very huggable lol His size is just perfect for me to hug (maybe I feel this way cause I have been living alone...).

For my 62 cm female doll, I like changing her clothes and the feel of her hair :XD: I take joy in admiring her faceup and taking closeup pics.

Well, I have never owned smaller bjd dolls too (I am not gonna count Barbie dolls I owned when I was a kid as a bjd ever...). So, I do not know what are the pros and cons of tinier dolls. One thing I like from my SD girl, she fits perfectly in my hands :whee:

9. I have all sizes from 1/10 to 72cm.

When I first started it was only going to be from MSD downwards in size. I think they all looked great together and fit the furniture and props I have for them perfectly. I just couldn't see myself going for the larger dolls. They would take up too much space, right? :3nodding:

Then came my full set Dollzone Grey, I saw him, I had to have him. Just one SD wouldn't hurt, right? :wiggle
      Of, course, then he needed friends... :doh

I most recently started in on the 72cm dolls. :dance

I just really love the larger dolls, they are kind of like little mini roommates sitting around on chairs in my room. They feel a bit more realistic. I love practicing my photography on them, they look natural outdoors and it's easier to angle the camera with them in perspective. I love sewing for them. Sewing the larger clothes is easier then the smaller clothes. The machine doesn't jam as much. The faces are easier to work on as well because they are larger. I like holding them when I carry them around for pictures, they have more weight to them. In a way they are easier to pose as well, because the longer limbs gives more to work with in holding the angles right. I just love my big dolls. :love

I am sure I will probably end up with a few more smaller ones eventually, but for now when I look for dolls I go directly at looking for the 1/3 and above. The MSD and smaller just feel really tiny anymore. :thumbup

10. They are definitely easier to sew for for me :) Also, I have found some remind me of a child sitting on my lap (feeple60) so they can have a teddybear effect :D.... I should get one to sit with me while I peruse the forum :D

11. I prefer 1/3 scale that was the original scale Volks used when they invented BJD back in 1999. I've been into this since 2004. I buy them to do costuming for and I generally find anything smaller than a Unoa annoying to sew for. I did get one 1/2 Spiritdoll camelia. I still have her but no more she's fun to dress but very unwieldy and heavy to handle.

12. They have various brands and people make BJD dolls clothes in my style, so I can buy clothes easily for them. Smaller sized doll clothes are limited in choice (kinda of modern style and street fashion)

13. Wow... it's very hard to explain! I suppose for me, who saw SD sized dolls first, the size was just one of the things that made them so unique and cool. In general, holding them is so comfortable and comforting, as their weight really registers. Plus you can "cradle" them more naturally.

14. I grew up playing with your standard barbies and western dolls to a limit. I also used to be scared of certain dolls too. BJDs were just different and I love that they’re huge! I love owner/doll photos, it’s fun to compare the scale.

15. I think my favorite thing is that my big dolls have such a presence to them that smaller dolls do not! If I sit one by me as I'm working on things, I never forget that they're there, like the space that they fill is occupied by another being rather than an object. I enjoy smaller dolls, too, but there's something unique about my big dolls that just can't be replicated on a smaller scale.

16. As a child, I collected tiny-sized plastic dolls. I had a huge collection of them (they were cheap and from the most popular plastic doll brand <cough>). So, as a uni student, when I got into BJDs I was ashamed. I felt super awkward with the idea of having these tiny, baby-looking dolls again, and I didn't like the 'fairies' etc. of the mature tinys that were available back then.

My first doll was supposed to be an MSD (I figured he'd be easy to hide), but an impulse bought SD boy beat him to my doorstep by about 4 months and I just... hated him LOL.

SD felt big, ungainly, difficult - and so OBVIOUS. I still struggle with shame over my doll collection. It's better now, and I've grown to love the SD size. It just feels so tactile for me. I love sewing the clothes in that scale, and I love handling them... but I also still love my tiny squad. I have around 9 MSDs. Even though the bulk of my collection (18 - gasp!) are SD-sized. I like to build big SD-sized furniture, and so on, and have really enjoyed messing about with these weirdly sized constructions.

Would it be easier to build stuff for MSDs? Absolutely. Will I swap out my collection? No way man. My SDs mostly look quite mature, and they're so diverse! No baby-looking faces there (except for Cass who will always just look a bit young lol.) They just speak to me more at that size. The mini squad are fun too, but they're not the main focus of my collection anymore.

17. I hate stringing my big boys, but I love how weighty they feel in my hands. It gives them an extra gravitasse and for me, makes them feel more like an object of inspiration or a beautiful subject to look at.

18. All my boys are 1/3 and 70+. There are a lot of smaller dolls that I like but most often they are too... doll-like. I like bigger dolls as they are visually more detailed, their bodies have proportions of an adult person, their head sculpts are more realistic (all those dimples and curves drive me crazy), they give more freedom in posing as they usually have more joints and thus more freedom in playing. I'd like to have a couple of MSD (I'm dying to have a FID girl) but as I have a big-doll party already I don't know how to add an MSD to the family so it does not look like an alien there.

The small dolls are totally cute but they are not my cup of tea.

19. I love large dolls because they are more mature and more realistic. Small dolls are cute but my first choice would be larger ones.

20. I’m like you maiyufi, I prefer dolls smaller than MSD. I love tinies (like Lati Yellow) because I can create dioramas and dollhouses for them, and I love tall YOSDs for their longer proportions but overall cute childlike-aesthetic.

I don’t think I’d buy an SD, because they’re a little too big and intimidating for me, lol. Plus, they usually have more mature features, which just doesn’t give me that “awww so cute” reaction that smaller childlike dolls do.