1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you like about big dolls?

Aug 23, 2020

1. It's odd...my first doll was a 1/4-scale doll, and when I got him, he was so much bigger than I thought he would be - about like an American Girl doll in height, though obviously quite different in scale.

In contrast, when I got my first 1/3-scale doll, he was a lot smaller than I thought he was going to be. :lol: I do love the detail, maturity, and weight of this scale, though. Like others have said, they have more presence and realism and also make great "weighted blankets" of comfort.

I also love my (I think off-topic?) 1/12 scale Raysvet Dolls/SvetaBJD elves because it's a lot of fun buying dollhouse accessories and making little dioramas for them (and just popping one in a glasses case to carry with me on adventures). They're the perfect size to hold in my hand.

In short, I love all sizes. :D

2. My first doll was MSD (Dollzone MO-2)
      When I bought It, I had n impression about his size. He was so big and wonderful...
      Now I have only big dolls (SD - 80), and I want bigger boys to my collection (Why nobody makes 1m male dolls?:( )
      But why I love big dolls... Trully, I dont know. Mb it's about sculpt (bigger dolls have more detalized sculpts), mb it's about impression (wow! big doll with wings, so great)

3. I never thought I would end up with so many big dollies. I started off with a 61cm and since then its just taken off. :XD: Now I mainly have 65cm and up. I personally love to hold them. The weight has never bothered me. Even for the big beefy dolls like Idealian or Dollshe. Its also much easier to dress them. I agree with some others about maturity. I tend to stay away from baby-esk type dolls. It is also easier to do face ups! Oh lord, face ups on small dolls are so stress inducing. :lol:

4. I love their bulk and how easy it is to not misplace them. I also love that the SD's look more mature with round faces (you don't get that with round faced MSD's). My collection is almost exclusively round faced bebe's lol. I Started with MSD and told myself that that was the perfect size for me. I now only have six MSD's and sixteen SD's so I just didn't know better when I was starting out 17+ years ago XD

5. [​IMG]
      I love the size 1/2 90 cm. Not easy to take him with you out for photos, but he is welcoming me home every day.
      I want to buy him a girlfriend.
      Hes head is 29 cm, any ide'a of a same sized girl in the same style, fitting him?

#65 tovej, Aug 26, 2023
      Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    6. As a lot of people are saying, it mostly comes down to details in clothing and faceups, and the sculpts. My Loongsoul 68 is basically my grail because of his face sculpt, so what size he was didn't matter much to me. A large bjd like him is harder to display for me since I have limited space, so I'm finding I don't love that about SD sized dolls. But I find I'm happier with the clothes I make because I can get that delicious detail that would either be impossible or just lost on a smaller doll.

7. I have an Argodoll Zet, which has a 70cm top and 60cm lower half and stands at 66cm high. He's definitely built different than most 68cm boys and a little harder to find clothes for (can't buy fullsets for him unfortunately) but the clothes he does have are just better than my MSD clothes. MSD clothes fit differently and the size of buttons and things cause them to look doll-like, but with bigger dolls you can create clothes with buttons and such that look more realistic.

I also like the heft of bigger dolls. I don't know how he stacks up to other 68cm dolls, but his chest is so big and heavy that it feels almost like holding a baby, lol. Definitely don't want to carry him around, though.

8. I started with 1/3 dolls and pretty much buy exclusively this size. I just love 58-65cm, it's the perfect height for me. So many reasons I love big dolls -
      • 1/3s at this height tend to be in the age group (face and body) that I love - youthful, either adolescents or young adults. I'm not interested in having small children or grownups for dolls.
      • They have presence that smaller dolls just don't have. Their size makes them feel like people, not toys or figurines.
      • Big enough that sculpting can show a lot of realistic details.
      • They're a comfortable, deliciously heavy weight in my arms...
      • ...but not too heavy. I can still carry a doll by their hips with one hand.
      • When I sit down on the floor to pose them, I can more or less look them in the eye - which I really like, I feel like I'm communicating with them...
      • ...but they're not tall enough to headbutt me when they fall over. They faceplant on my shoulder instead - less painful!
      • Big variety of clothing and fashions to buy for them.
      • Easy to sew their clothing and add details.
      • Although 1/3-scaled props are a lot harder to buy/make, the ones that exist are always impressive and realistic looking. Again, props at this size don't look like toys.
      • And because I have no interest in dioramas or dollhouses: 1/3 dolls can interact with some human-scale furniture without looking overly out of place or teeny.
      • I love outdoor photography with my BJDs and this size range 58-65cm is most versatile of the 1/3 dolls. I can shove one into a backpack or put two in my carrier, and carry them to fairly rugged places. They aren't too heavy to carry on my back, and not that unwieldy to wrangle in outdoor conditions.
      I've tried owning smaller dolls but they just felt uninteresting and less significant, so I sold them all. (That said, I do own a 51cm mini - and only because it came on a tall body that would fit in with my 1/3 dolls.)

#68 aihre, Sep 4, 2023
      Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    9. I started with 1/3 scale dolls and that's my favorite size. I've tried mini / 1/4 and smaller and nothing ever really 'stuck.' I'm not sure what the reason is for this. My brain is a weird one and when I'm into something, a lot of times it's just because it checks a particular box and just feels right. I enjoy making clothes for 1/3 dolls a lot, maybe that's it?

10. I like bigger dolls (well, the standard 1/3 SD13 type size is my favorite) because I can simply see them better. I have vision that is not fully correctable as far as I know currently and kind of on a persistent decline, so I struggle to see, a lot. 1/3 has been fun for me to learn to make clothes on and the Faceup painting is easier, photography is easier visually and I feel I enjoy the experience of the "company" I feel with big dolls in the room. :aheartbea

11. My taste/preferences change from time to time. I have dolls from tiny size (Dream High Studio Mimi) to SD size (55-60cm), anything bigger than that is just too much for me, although I would love to see a Dollmore Trinity in person! My first doll was MSD sized, the next 2-3 were SD sized. It was a couple of years before I got the tinies. Currently, I'm back to loving the SD size the most.

What do you like about dolls bigger than a MSD (SD size and up)? For me I find dressing the bigger sized dolls is MUCH easier to handle. I find that most period/era style clothes (like Regency period, Medieval, etc) lay better on the bigger dolls, don't seem so bulky or bunched up with the fabrics that get used.

What is the appeal for you? SD size heads seem to provide greater expression, whether through the sculpt itself or through face up. I know that is extremely subjective and I think for some reason my brain just seems to scan over most MSD sized dolls as being very plain/static/boring? Although, I love the Big Baby sized lines and how their faces do convey 4-8 year olds.

What about them is something that you can't enjoy with little dolls? I have tines and my love for them is because they fit in 1:12 scale miniature houses, which I've been obsessed with since I was very little but never actually owned until I was in my 40's! But, SD sized dolls do NOT lend themselves to dollhouses. At least MSD size can fit AG and other 18" size doll accessories and room boxes, but that takes up a lot of room!

Why do you collect bigger dolls more than smaller dolls (or vice versa)? I probably have about as many tiny sized dolls as I do SD size dolls. Both of those sizes outnumber the MSD size dolls I own. I wish the MSD size was my favorite because it's an easy size to handle, easier to take them to conventions, they aren't as heavy etc. I also generally tend to feel that MSD dolls are more like teenagers very early 20's in age, so it always throughs me off when I see way more mature MSD dolls.

12. The weight! The smoochable noggin! The hands that fit perfectly in my fingers! :drool 1/3 is the best scale ever!!!!

Please no one hand me your 75+ cm boy! I can't afford to start a second set of huge boys :kitty1

13. The bulk of my collection is msd and smaller, because that’s what fits best into my decorative displays. But I do love the SD size wherever I can find space for one! I have 3 SD boys and 7 SD girls in my collection, and what I love most about them is their overall presence. They make a statement. None of mine are grouped together…they each tell a story all on their own, like an explanation mark placed strategically here or there within the overall collection for emphasis.

14. The outfits are easier to put on and can be more intricate.

15. The heft! Any doll I can use as a club is a plus in my book. :evilplot:

16. My collection is in every size but 1/3 and above, although I do have one 1/3 sized doll and seen+held various 1/3 dolls that aren't mines. The size of 1/3 dolls do make them easy to dress [especially in vintage non BJD fashions] and easy to make things for. They also hold a presence that differs from smaller dolls; I can't quite describe it but it's a sort of feeling that you need to see it in person to understand.
      Although one thing I don't like about them is how difficult it can be to find nice doll carriers for them and how heavy/bulky they can be when venturing outside for photos. Not fun if you're outside for hours on end but manageable if it's under an hour. ><' I recall talking to someone who owns a Dollmore Trinity and how she can't bring the doll over to the dollshop to try on doll clothes [the shop had very large doll sizes too] because of it's size and weight.

17. [​IMG]
      I absolutly love my SDs.

18. Since most of my OCs are adults, I prefer the SD and 70+ cm range. I feel like that size, with the more mature and realistic facial and bodily features, is able to best capture what I'm looking for when choosing a sculpt to shell one of my characters. Unless I'm going to shell a teenage or child character, I will always choose SD or 70+ cm. Also, I find that there is a wider variety of clothing options, which makes shopping/planning for them much easier.

Additionally, I absolutely love holding and handling the larger dolls! They just feel so comfortable and have never felt overly cumbersome. I don't know how to describe it, but I feel like I make more of a connection with them. I do have one MSD, and I love her to pieces, but I don't feel quite the same way about her than I do with my others.

19. I feel like what I enjoy about big dolls vs. what I enjoy about small dolls is actually pretty different!

With my larger (50+cm) dolls, I mostly enjoy having them on display at home. When I look up at the top of my book shelf at my 68cm Loongsoul boy, with his detailed fullset outfit and wig, I feel very happy. Like others have said, larger dolls have a presence, and you really can't miss large dolls when you have them on display. (As an aside, my roommate dislikes that his head is tilted in such a way that he seems to be watching the world below him, but I think that's part of his charm. :XD:) My favorite doll currently is a SDF65 Luts boy, and I love dressing him up and changing his poses, too - you really can't beat the level of detail and variety of SD size clothing! - though he mostly stays on his shelf in the display area I've made for him. He ties the whole display together, in fact!

Meanwhile, I love taking my smaller dolls out with me. I like finding pretty places, setting them up, and taking a few photos. The presence of big dolls that's really lovely when displaying them at home is actually a downside when trying not to have a presence while taking photos in public places. It's much easier to take out, pose, and stow away a smaller doll than it is a larger one. I also enjoy the "little people in a big world" aesthetic of fairies and such, and SD size dolls just can't pull off that aesthetic as well as YoSD and smaller.

20. .

#80 Gintsumi, Sep 16, 2023
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024