1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you tell people who dont know what bjds are?

May 31, 2007

1. Yea I showed my boyfriends grandmother and she was all like ohh ive never seen these kind before!!She seemed kinda interested but luckily didnt ask abou that price.And my boyfriend seems to be pretty supportive.He helped me put velcro on my dolls head so her wig would stay on.And went into friends2bmade with me to buy clothes.

2. @_@ ..well....tell them they're ball joined dolls ..that are ..kind of not really came from factories ..but studios - -+

and ..that ..um...it's my son!!!!! -3- ..lalalala ...

ppl usually stare at me as if I am crazy

3. i just say "omg! they're so cool eh?! they're made of resin and they're huge and poseable and you can change their eyes and hair and make them all pretty and take pictures of them! they're also 500$+ and come from korea!"

4. XD I just explain they're a doll that's fully customizable. O: I try and not mention the price. >_>; CAUSE then the conversation gets interesting.

5. I talk about them a lot to friends that don't have a clue and had to explain to my mom what they are. I usually tell people they're dolls from Korea or Japan that are very high quality dolls made of resin and are meant to be personalized to the owner's choice by changing eyes, wigs, clothes, etc. That is usually followed up by "why they so expensive?" and then I explain the molds and then I get the whole "you're crazy" look or comment :)

6. *Shows picture* "Doooolllie~"

"What is that?"

"Oh! He's an Asian Ball Joint Doll. They're this tall *makes motions with hands* and made of resin. You can move them all around because they have a lot of joints and you can change thier eyes and wigs and faceup. A faceup is like makeup, but cooler. 83 Yess'm. I love my boys. XD"

"Wait, what? Thats a boy?"

Thats normally how it goes. o.o;;

7. Basically, I just say they're dolls. That's it. Well, I don't take them around, so the only people I need to explain them to so far is my family, and I'll go into the quality and artistic value to my dad (he funds most of my boys, so I have to hehe). On the street, though, if I did have one, I'd just say it's a doll, that I'm a freak who collects dolls, and be done with it. I'm an oddball no matter what I do, so I've learned to simply relish it.

Hmm, maybe I should go all the way and take them out with me after all! But I'd never mention the price, either. Once the subject of "big money" (relatively) comes up, it turns into something else entirely >_>; People are so silly when it comes to money sometimes!

8. I simply say, "Korean (all my kids are from Korea :D) hand-made resin art-dolls with joints like those artist's mannequins - they're very customizable." It usually is enough for most people, but pesky relatives often ask how much they were. c.c

9. blue etenity, I feel your pain. My usual conversation goes like this..:

Friend Asks: "So Jon (hubby <3) says you're into dolls? What kind of dolls?"
      Old Reply: *deep breath* "They are resin dolls hand cast in Japan/Korea that are designed with the collector in mind to personalise customise and create a character for, you can change their eyes and wigs and pose them and take photos of them posing... etc"
      Friend: *Strange look* "What kind of photos? Man thats just wierd"

So I tried a new approach...

New Reply: "Yes, they are a very unique collectors item"
      Friend: "Thats cool!"

Less wierd looks that way, and besides my parents think they are great!!

10. Ha. I've tried describing it to my guy friends, but that kind of failed. They now know them as the dolls you can open their heads and change their eyes. :doh

11. XD that's what I get too XD

12. "Um, yeah. They're really cool 'cuz they have all those joints and such and are totally awesome for posing like that... They're also really customizable like with the hair. You can change the hair." *recieves wierd looks* "And... Stuff." - typed in my usual way of speaking.
      If they ask the price, I'll reply: "Ah dunno..." And then trail off and change the subject, or proceed to explain more to them if they actually seem intrigued.

13. I just say that there REALLY expensive super realistic dolls from japan ^_^; lol then I emphasise the fact that they cost more than a car over here lol

14. I tell them that they are Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls, that are sculpted by artists and made out of resin. Then I get into all the other stuff unless thier eyes glaze over right away.

15. I just tell them that BJDs are like porcelain dolls, but made of resin, and that their arm and legs are poseable ^__^

16. The first thing to pop out of my mouth is "extremely expensive sexy dolls that are the most gorgeous thing to happen to doll-kind" Then I explain the height and maybe that it's made of resin. I have no idea how to explain what resin is...

17. To people who are really unfamiliar, and wonder why I'm carting a doll around *at my age*, I just say they're a type of posable artist's doll or unique art doll. If pressed, I'll add that they are customizable by the owner, but are defiintely not toy dolls. (Nobody has to know how much we play with them!)

Sidestep the whole resin thing. That's more detail than they actually want. Just say it's a type of porcelain, and breakable (to explain why you grabbed your dolls legs away from their little darlings and have snarled at toddlers.)

18. I say they are ball-jointed resin dolls created by Asian sculptors. They come in various sizes and they are customizable - you can change the wig, change the eyes, and even paint the face yourself if you want.

If I am there, and they want to see, I show how many joints a doll has and I take off the wig and show them inside the head. Some people are not comfortable seeing the doll get deconstructed like that, but they like how the doll's look can be changed by just changing the wig and clothes.

Carolyn

19. The few that have had me explain them without actually seeing one has been brief. They are very large barbies with joints on wrists, elbows, knees, ankles and such. With ability to change the eyes, wigs and overall look of the doll. By this time a glazed look appears and I stop. Better to have a actual doll to show is my finding.

20. "So, x told me you collect dolls?"

"Yes. From Asia. Japan and Korea mostly."

That's about the exent of it. If they're interested beyond that, I will explain and/or show them, but otherwise, I don't talk about my hobby. I have more people talk about me and my hobby than I actually talk to about it LOL

-Meredith