1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you tell people who dont know what bjds are?

May 31, 2007

1. many people ask me often what ball joint dolls are and i just say them that they are very special and expensive dolls from asia.. thats all ^^

2. Usually I get questions from women older than me so I tell then the dolls are modern cousins to the old compostition dolls they played with then I get in to the details of them being called Asian ball joints and Asian customs.

I met one lady at a photo machine at a Sprawl Mart and now I'll be giving a presentation on the customs, most of my family is 1/6, for her club :) Another time I was celerating my Obitsu 60's first birthday with a nother doll mom and a guy had to know what the dolls were and where they came from. I carry my dolls around with me and needless to say I pass out a lot of business cards for JS.

3. Well I have a pullip doll which my friends have seen, so when I get asked I say they are similar but more realistic and waaaay more expensive XD

4. :) I show them pictures,give them web sites or tell them to look it up on the net also l show them mini moon which is my dollfie.

5. When i first showed one of my friends, she didn't give me a weird look or anything.. only when i said about the price :sweat i told her he will have his own character, clothes and maybe his own little room.
      I mostly say they are bigger dolls, that can move around more and look realistic XD

6. Ya know... I haven't had a problem explaining what they are as much as explaining how much their accessories cost. :sweat

7. well, with the way people around me act towards me already... if someone asks, i rip off her wig and open her head, wait for the terrified look and put her back together.... i dont care about answering "what is it?" anymore....no one understands anyway.....

8. At my college we sort of have a BJD group going on and all the new students or teachers who haven't had us / seen us before always question about them. I'm a photography major so guess what I like to take pictures of? :D Some people think its cool and some people think its odd, but because its an art school I think some people are more open to it. I usually just tell them its a resin doll you can customize from japan.

9. When my daughter first started to collect them, and we bought her first one as a birthday gift, I just told people the BJDs were her former college fund. And as her collection grew I told people it would have been at least one year at Harvard. Then the brat:love bought me MY first doll, so now, should people ask, I just say they're very pretty poseable collector dolls from Korea or Japan that can be customized and clothed any way you can imagine. I don't mention Harvard any more.

10. When I was trying to convince my parents to let me get one, My mom was going along with it, but my step dad said "Why would you pay that much for a doll?"
      To which I replied, "They are not only mere dolls, they are the closest thing to a miniature person you can get!"XD
      Later I showed him a picture, and he thinks they're creepy.

11. I usually say that they are essentially high quality art dolls that are customizable and articulated. People generally accept this answer and some ask more questions if they're interested. I've never really had a negative response.

12. "Handmade art dolls from Korea you can customize in any way you can think of."

I used to hide the fact I adored Matic and Luc so much but my friends always tell me they love me becuase I am a loser anyway. Why not add dolls to the growing list??

One girl even wants one now and she always asks to babysit Matic :p
      Im spreading it like a disease!!

13. I dont reallt get chance to talk about my dolls with anyone who has not come across them already. I hate to say it but most of the people where I live would either have no idea or care about them. Mention the price however and their eyes would light up.

I think it is better to keep quiet

14. "It's an Asian ball joint doll." And I proceed to answer the other questions, then hand Riku to whom ever asked. :sweat I've had a little girl (About 11) Get scared because of him, she apparently thought he would bite her.

A running joke between a few Dollie friends and I about making business cards with all the info and passing them out to people.

15. i just tell people there anime dolls (it's kinda true!!!!) because alot of people where i live really did anime, so it feels safer to call them that

16. I'd say:

"These are Ball Joint Dolls, commonly reffered to as BJDs. They come from Korea/Japan and are made of resin. They're pretty sturdy and instead of screws, they're stringed. BJDs are incredibly flexible because of their ball joints. They're extremely detailed and very beautiful dolls! But because of that, they're also very expensive. Anywhere from $200 to $800. Many people collect these dolls. You can even customize them by buying blank parts and adding special details to them. The most common activity which involves a BJD is photographing them in various places. If you want a BJD, once you get one, I suggest joining a forum about BJDs [at this point I mention Den of Angels and give them a link] to open up new activities to do with your doll. You can buy the dolls on eBay and everywhere else that distributes them. The dolls come in all different shapes and sizes. You don't have to customize your dolls, but you can give them new wigs and eyes since they are not rooted dolls and the eyes are accesible by opening the back of the head. For more information, do some research online.

17. Yeah! It's always they ask you what kind of doll is that follow up between "How much did you pay for it?" that one I hate the most.

18. i don't have one yet, but i would probably end up saying something stoopid-like this was the last person i voodoo-ed and turned into a doll XD

19. I just say she's a Korean doll. Most people just let it slide after that, because they really aren't interested in the doll so much as the 18 years old girl holding it XD They think I'm too old for dolls.

20. To friends: "I collect these cool, customizable Japanese/Korean ball-jointed dolls, expensive but worth it."

To people I hardly know (co-workers or fellow students): "Yeah..I collect these Japanese/Korean Ball jointed dolls, more expensive than your car payments and about as much as your apartment rent.":lol: