1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you tell people who dont know what bjds are?

May 31, 2007

1. I tell them the answer is not straight forward. But I always start at Volks. I have had to explain this a lot!

2. Best
      Joyful
      Dolls

3. I always like to go into detail about my dolls. I would be telling them about the origin (Asia) the material they are made of (resin). Plus I would also mention that the very special thing about them is with the way they are built gives you versatility in their personalities, and overall appearance. With the way you can interchange their eyes, and wigs.

4. I have my little elevator speech (30 seconds). I've given it a lot; at the park, in an actual elevator, in my dorms, at a restaurant, etc.

I basically say "highly posable ball joint dolls that are mainly handmade in asia, come in many different sizes, made of resin plastic, and are fully customizable. You can change their eyes, hair, face, clothes, eyelashes etc. They're considered art dolls and there is a massive following community across the world."

5. The people in the art hallway at my school all love my dolls when I bring them in. To take photos or use her as a model, I explained what they were to them and they seemed to love it. A few were a bit creeped out, but that's because they had a fear of all dolls.

6. Wow, I guess that depends on how the topic of dolls came up in the first place, if the other party wasn't a known doll person. I'm pretty shy in real life, so I wouldn't normally talk to other people that much. The most likely scenario is someone seeing me with a girl and asking about her.

In that case, it's easy to explain with an example doll present. I'd explain her origins, posability, and customizability. If they were more of an engineering type, I'd also talk about her construction and what gives her the ability to pose in certain ways. They'd probably find that part most interesting if they weren't into the aesthetic side.

7. By this time I have a short ten second speech for people about what BJDs are. Sometimes I'm even able to whip my puki out of my purse and just show them.

8. Really short answer to people I don't know - "It's a ball jointed doll made in (insert name of country) and they are really fun to customize."
      Regarding price - "Like porcelain dolls there is a large range of sizes and prices but no they aren't cheap."
      And the infamous Why would you spend that much on a doll? I usually say that I'm a collector and it makes sense to me to spend that 'much' on a doll, same as it does to them to pay what they do for a ticket to a sports event or concert.

9. heh... the circumstances of where I live make it a very poor idea to tell anyone that I even have one of these... so when mine gets here, I'm keeping her secret. XD

10. I've never really had anybody ask me about them yet, but I would probably tell people that they're art you can play with. :D

11. I usually tell them "Asian dolls made of resin, that have limbs that can bend because of ball joints, that I can dress up with different eyes, wigs, outfits, shoes, etc."

12. I just say, that they're Asian ball jointed dolls. It's what they are and that usually explains itself. If there are more questions, I can always go on explaining. ^^

13. I just show them the photos.

14. I had this situation at work. I told everybody that I sold myself a BJD and nobody knew what I´m talking about. So I described them as Asian Fashion Dolls for adults and showed them pictures in the net, due I´m still waiting for my first doll.

15. In the past, I'd just say they were plastic dolls that come in a variety of sizes. I was talking with someone who actually seemed interested recently, and I added that they had ball-joints that make them more posable than most dolls. I also added that the hair/eyes can be changed. With 99% of people, I wouldn't let them know the cost, and I try to imply that they're cheap dolls. I don't like to advertise the price of anything remotely expensive that I own. Some people I know can barely afford food/rent, so it seems incredibly rude to let them know I've spend thousands on dolls.

16. I usually say that they are handmade, customizable, posable resin dolls usually from asia. And that they are not necessarily toys.
      Usually people react most to the cost (I don't know why that always is brought up, someone close to me really likes to point out that I spent 600 dollars on her), and therefore I tell them all the positive things about them.

I think I'd bring out the cost if they actually saw the dolls in person and not just me talking about them.
      Because the cost indicates that they should be reeeeeaaaallly careful with them.

17. I don't know if this is in the right place to put this. Please move this if it is.

So as I said in the title I'm going to be doing a talk to my anime club about BJDs to newbies. When I say newbies I mean that a good chunk only know BJD by my 'creepy' doll.

So I was wanting to know if there is anything I should talk about, what I shouldn't talk about, and any tips.

18. Oh well,we need a fresh start on this topic;)
      I usually tell friends who ask. They are like Barbie/Tonner Fashion dolls, however, they are made in
      Asia of a prduct called resin which is expenisve and a cut way above Barbies. plus you
      can be creative and change the wigs and eyes. That somtimes freaks them out.:lol:
      Michelle

19. Big, creepy and artsy dolls from my motherland. :cool: