1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about asymmetry?

Nov 19, 2017

1. Im really big on asymmetry if its intentional!

There's a Flower & Jr sculpt who's got a crooked smile and one eye more closed than the other and I think he's got such personality.
      [​IMG]KAKA by xiao, on Flickr

2. Ha ha! Nothing wrong with perfect faces. :) I can understand the appeal of it as well.

And yes, the minimees are based on real people so I want them to look exactly like the people they're modelled on. Most of the people I like the look of have very noticeable asymmetry so I'd like to keep that in the sculpts.

3. I think that the level of asymmetry accepted by each person varies widely LOL I'm not sure about my own - it depends so much on my initial reaction to a sculpt (or seeing a face).

4. A lot of my dolls have little things to make them more human, Scars, Chipped nail polish, hairs out of place... Unless its a display only doll, I try to stay away from perfection :D

5. A little bit of asymmetry is acceptable, as long as it is not too noticeable.

6. I love it! That sculpt just screams trouble!

7. I like fantasy dolls that are more symmetrical. They aren't meant to look realistic to me, they are a fantasy that takes me to a different world for a moment. In people I prefer some kind of flaw or something that adds character - people who are too perfect seem boring to me.

8. I also love the fantasy dolls because they're so unique. I love my "human" dolls, but I absolutely adore my unique dolls (like Doll Chateau Xaviera, Dollzone Egg).

9. Love the asymmetry is natural. After all we are asymmetrical. Just often these features are invisible for our eyes.

10. For me it depends. I have seen some good and some bad both ways. Moderation I guess? Nothing too crazy for me.

11. I like intentional asymmetry!! One eye being a lil wonky, a crooked smile, a crooked nose- all great as long as that's the intention.

Like many others however, when it becomes asymmetry due to a bad or lazy sculpt... well.

Eyes, however, are a deal breaker for me- they can be a bit off as long as it's due to the expression, but as soon as they're differently set, I hate them. Though there's a reason; I have a cyst in my right eye socket, and I see that asymmetry all the time and absolutely loathe it. It's maybe my biggest insecurity. I don't like to see that part of me mirrored in a doll. Makes me feel not so great.

12. My realpuki has an asymmetrical smirk and it's one of the reason I love him so much. It's natural and endearing to me when dolls don't look perfect because real humans aren't symmetrical. Atelier Momoni's Momoni also has an asymmetrical smile and I love her too. It can really set a doll apart from all the sculpts with pristine features or neutral expressions. Nose and mouths, eyebrows can be a little off and it can give the face character. The only time it is off putting to me,is when its to extreme or unintentional. Like eyes being uneven or ears (one high and the other low).

13. This reminds me of something from way way way back in the day. In a Wizard Magazine (anyone remember those? Anyone?) the artist Terry Moore of SIP did a how to draw faces thing. He drew two faces, one was a quick doodle, and the other was "technically" perfect, but boring and lifeless while the doodle had personality and character. Basically he saying to worry less about perfection and symmetry.

A million years later I look at "perfect" dolls and I get what he was trying to say. I feel like dolls who have flaws and are asymmetrical are more realistic and lifelike than the ones who are symmetrical. Not saying there's anything wrong with perfection - I own some who have that perfect symmetry. But the ones I really love are a little crooked (like the early Migidolls. Turn Ryu upside down to see what I mean. And he's gorgeous). And if they're not I tend to make them that way with one eyebrow raised or a scar or mod of some kind or something that makes them asymmetrical.

The only time it bothers me is eye placement....I don't really even notice it in other peoples dolls but I'm constantly messing with my own dolls eyes trying to get them both straight. It drives me nuts. At least it's fixable.
      And really, I have several dolls with purposely different sized eyes so I guess it doesn't drive me that nuts...

14. I don't think im very fond of it, i guess it depends on how natural it looked. if it's crooked eyes I can't deal with that lol.... especially if im spending a ton of money on a doll i want it to look perfect, im kind of ocd about things being symmetrical though :/ so it's just a personal preference

15. A bit of asymmetry makes sculpts more realistic. But too much does bother me, to be honest.

16. Understandable! I agree that really wonky eyes might bother me, but I live crooked smiles! XD

17. I have a migidoll Ryu and as soon as I get home I’m turning him upside down... XD

18. XD Seriously, do it! You get better results if you take his head off, remove the headback and put the head on the table to look at him (I noticed this when doing faceups)

19. I love juuust a little bit of asymmetry, especially in the lips! I'm not so fond of sculpting 'mistakes', though-- like if the ears are badly lopsided, the jaws are uneven to where I'm having to try and correct it in a faceup, or if the sculpt makes it hard to position their eyes well. A hard pass for me is when the body itself is asymmetrical to the point where it hinders posing. :X

20. Yeah, bad sculpting is just bad sculpting! I have a Mirodoll with one leg longer than the other so he can’t stand up straight. Given the price, though...