1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about Hybrids?

Nov 19, 2008

1. Hybriding is my favorite! I almost think it works better because sometimes I think a doll company is really good at sculpting either heads or bodies, but not both.

I can't imagine how it'd be unethical!

2. thanks... forgot i posted it here too XD a tad too exited i guess

3. All my dolls are hybrids because they have heads that were custom made for me or from companies that only make head sculpts. That means I have no choice but to make hybrids. I don't think it's an ethical issue: some companies sell separate bodies, and I'm perfectly entitled to buy one and put a head on it!

I think Angharad summed it all up pretty well.

#563 Spuggey, Dec 25, 2016
      Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
    4. hybrids or not, if they are all dolls/parts from the original companies I think all of them are great!

I don't really see why anyone would have an issue with it, part of the point of these dolls is to make them your own and change how they look, so why not mix bodies and heads and such!

5. I currently have two (soon to be three) hybrid dolls and am planning a fourth,I didn't expect to have any when I first joined the hobby but I never thought I'll of them.

I recently purchased a Minifee Lucywen head in a split and found that I didn't even consider getting a FL body for her,I simply don't think it would suit the look I'm going for.

I'm also fairly certain that any future non Moe WS Minifee will be hybrids,I actually *strongly* dislike the look of Active/Fairyline bodies.
      I wish I could say the same for future TS girls but it's more difficult to find a match.

6. I honestly don't see it at unethical at all. Then again, I have a hybrid myself. I have a Dollzone Vita body with an Annie head. While they are both Dollzone, they are two difference sculps. hmm. I just see it at personalizing the doll and making it your own.

7. I'm ok with hybriding and even have one myself. I wasn't too fond of the doll leaves body so I got a dollzone one for it. I'm not too picky on resin matching since I know it can easily be covered up.

8. i like hybrids 'cause most of the time i only like the face sculpts, and the only body i like is Loongsoul's.

9. I have several hybrids, my avitar is a Leekeworld Rosemary on a Dollzone msd body and I love her to death. I have 2 more Leekeworld heads and have ordered 2 more bodies from Dollzone for them. I have some DIM SD heads that I plan to get Dollzone bodies for also. I love the hybrids.

10. Approve! Have one. It's really nice when pretty head sculpt from one company and body from another look like they made for each other. :)

11. I have several hybrids. Some may look down on hybrid doll but that's them. At times you can't help but to have a hybrid because some people only sculpt heads only and you have to find a body that will best suit that head.

12. My room is tiny so hybrid is my destiny. I have three full Luts boys but sometimes my three Switch boy floating heads borrow their bodies. I don't have the money and most important, space, to give each of them a body. Plus I am not really fond of the Switch body but love the Luts SDF65 body! Resin matching is not my biggest concern....as long as it doesn't look weird (like putting a NS head on a WS body...scary)

13. I had had no idea about hybriding, but I had to start it.

I found a customed head selling at Y!J and I was able to buy the head only.
      Then I searched for a body fits on the head. So my first hybrid BJD had done.

Recently I did it again. But this time, the body came first and next was the head lol

14. I don't have any issues with hybrids. I think it adds a lot more variation to your collection, especially if you are a huge fan of a company that focuses on a certain doll size. I would prefer a few hybrids over multiple copies of the same body.

15. In my opinion a BJD has artistic qualities and is produced by artists, but it is a product. There is a certain amount of control that the artist/company should have. After the doll/head is purchased though their control should end. BJD's should be looked at as an artistic product. Art has been made to meet consumer demands as long as there has been art. I feel the BJD companies are not held to account for poor business practices, poor customer service, and sub par products. Hybriding should be a tool for consumers to help deal with those issues.

16. As some other people have said, if I don't make a hybrid, a company might not get my money at all! A hybrid I'm planning to make in the future would be, as mentioned in the first post, a Dollmore head with a body from another company. Would Dollmore prefer I not buy from them at all than put their head on a body from a different company?

I'm planning another hybrid using a body from one company for its posaility, but I think the heads the company makes for that line are out of proportion to the body. The head's from a different company, that makes bodies that are single jointed with limited posability. I like one company's head and another company's body, but I'd be less willing to buy from them if they didn't sell the parts seperately. Having to sell the extra peices is time I'd rather spend giving my doll a face-up and making them clothes.

17. I love hybrids! A good hybrid is just another way of customizing a doll to fit your idea. Also, it's a great way to have expensive heads without spending a ton of money on the expensive body. I'm currently waiting on the new 1/4 girl body from Doll Leaves to use for my Spiritdoll Smart Liana head. The resin match is near perfect, and the proportions and size is close enough to the original body to work for me.

18. Ethan, the dude creeping in my profile picture, is a hybrid of a Dollshe Saint head on a Resinsoul body. There are two reasons I made him a Franken-doll (a hybrid) of sorts. One was the price difference. $600+ is just a bit too much for me to drop on a doll in my current economic climate, whereas just under $400 was better. The second was the aesthetics. I did not like the Dollshe bodies; I'd seen videos of those 'butt' joints and how they stick out. The only problem I have with the Resinsoul body is the torso. I'm still working out how to get him to slouch.

19. I like hybrids! I feel like at this point the discussion of whether or not they're 'ethical' has kind of been addressed, but I agree with the people who said without hybrids a company might not get their money at all. I had a floating head for like 3 years because I didn't have the right body for it, and then very recently, the perfect body just sort of fell into my lap. Different company, but the resin matched up amazingly well, considering out old both separate pieces were! Something like that is really fortuitous and it seems hard to believe many people would pass it up. Hybridizing is really a great way to just make your doll that much more unique.

20. I think that selection head and body, color of skin is difficult. I`ve seen a lot of failed attempts. Because body and head from the same company I like more.