1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about Hybrids?

Nov 19, 2008

1. Reviving an old thread but need help please.

I like the Norman 2.0 head from ringdoll but preferably on Angell Studio 74 or Loong Soul 73 body. Would it fit well? Like the neck is not too long or thin, head not too small or big? Also are the clothes from AS 74cm and LS 73cm's fit interchangeable with each other? (measurement wise seems okay) Added bonus if ringdoll clothes also fits (but I doubt it)

Can anyone confirm if my plan would work or doesn’t work? I’ve looked at the measurements, hoping to get pictures from anyone that has similar ones!

If all else fails, anyone have a picture of a RD 70 guy next to a LS 69cm lady?

Much appreciated [​IMG]

2. After purchase, the head is technically ypurs, You can do whatever you want with the head/the doll part/whatever. I may understand Dollmore´s concerns as artists... but this is just ridiculous. If I don´t like a default body or any heads of a company I´d like to purchase a body from of course hybriding is a pretty goos option. Companies although do have to cope with the fact that after purchase it is the customer´s choice on what to do with it, if they are gonna hybrid or not. THey can´t just control what happens to it afterwards.

3. Lol my mind has changed sooooo much since I made the post you quoted.

Only like 3 of my 9 dolls are all from one company... and am in the middle of acquiring some floating heads which will probably also be hybrided.

4. As long as they're legit, this shouldn't be an ethical issue.

I love seeing what kind of hybrids people come up with too, honestly! They're oftentimes not something I would expect and are just really fun to look at. I also love that there's such a strong resource here for people who are looking to hybrid dolls, though I admit most of mine have come about by trial and error. :lol:

5. Not to be rude, but I fail to see how hybridizing legit BJD components to create one's vision of a perfect doll could possibly be construed as immoral. Maybe offputting or potentially tasteless to some BJD companies, but immoral? I mean, that's a strong word. I just finished putting together my grail doll a couple days ago; she's a hybrid. Like quite a few people, I have an Unoa faceplate hybridized onto another company's body. Full Unoas are expensive, even secondhand. And their bodies, while absolutely stunning aesthetically, have a rather limited posing range, imo. Hybrids give owners a plethora of different customization options to tailor the perfect doll, at their ideal budget. And as for companies taking issue with hybrids, at the end of the day, the customer should be able to make those choices themselves, with the product that they paid for. The biggest stumbling blocks for hybridization of BJDs are resin-matching and neck size, but fortunately, forums like this are a repository of helpful information. Most of my dolls will end up being hybrids because their various parts are generally purchased secondhand. Again, I don't intend any rudeness, but I just think no one should be made to feel that they've made an immoral choice by hybridizing.

6. I know this is an ancient thread, but it's sort of an interesting time capsule for earlier in the hobby when (I have to assume) Hybrids were less commonplace.

I would say that a company trying to guilt customers out of customizing their products is far more unethical than buying a hybrid. I have to wonder what Dollmore was thinking if they really were arguing something like that, it's absolutely ludicrous and pompous beyond belief...

7. If what you mean by "time capsule" is "accurate representation of most DoA members' views," then the original post in this thread is a very long way from being anything of the sort. It's important to read through the whole thread, not just the first post, to grasp just how extreme and unrepresentative the view reflected in the first post actually was, and is.

Hybrids were not "less commonplace" in the past -- again, something that's obvious within the development of the thread.

8. I am not going to read every page of a 30 page thread and it's not at all necessary for making a judgment of it. I read the first 5 or 6 pages, and from that alone I gathered that ways of speaking about hybrids seemed to be somewhat different from what I've seen today- enough so that I felt like commenting on it. At the very least it very literally is a look into the past- this is how the community conversed 10 years ago, and internet communities tend to age and change fast.

If you think by "time capsule" I would ever mean "representation of most/all DOA members' views" I have to assume that you think I literally only read the OP, and I don't appreciate the condescension. :roll:

9. I know one thing for sure, and that's that I now have the strange urge to find a Dollmore head and put it on a Barbie Made-to-Move body. I'll jumble my doll parts up any way I please, thank you very much!

10. I don’t have any hybrids but I would absolutely love to. For example there are some face sculpts I adore like fairyland minifees but I thoroughly dislike the bodies!

11. Except that those first pages do NOT show us that hybrids were less commonplace at all. In fact, in those first 5 pages, only Usagi had an issue with hybridizing, and they were (don't know if they still are) very brand loyal. Everyone knew this and they were a minority even then.

Cynthia was not being condescending, she just mentioned that your conclusion of what it was like 10 years ago wasn't accurate.

As for what the OP mentioned:

Elitism - Lower end companies like BBB had just emerged and this caused a shift in the market and in views of what was and was not considered part of this hobby. Some believed only higher end dolls should be accepted. But their views were not shared by many.
      Still, elitism was a big topic, and every so now and then rumors someone heard from a friend's cousin twice removed would stir things up again. Hence the thread the OP mentioned. It started after yet another one of these stories, and the main question it discussed there was about whether elitism was real or not. It asked about experiences from either side. In that thread some people spoke of negativity they encountered when they talked about their BBB. Other hobbyists shared how they were being accused of elitism and looking down on others, simply because they owned a Volks doll.
      Like any topic, it turned out there were several sides to the story and that some things were being inflated by rumors nobody could verify. Because this is the internet.

Then, there's the term 'Frankendolly' - This wasn't a slur, but a code of honor started by customizers to underline the fact that these dolls were created from different 'body parts'. And Frankendolls were very commonplace. Almost everyone was into customizing and modding. There were people who owned dolls where every part of the doll was from another company (heads, torso, arms, hands and feet).
      Modification was something people were proud of. And more than today, it was considered the basis of this hobby. Not so much owning dolls, and collecting, but changing it to something unique. So when Dollmore's answered a customer's question with the answer that they'd rather not that their dolls were hybridized, that reply was met with a shrug. And this thread shows it.

12. The way they were spoken about seemed different to me. I understand that if you were there (which you both were) it may seem like it isn't different at all, but it definitely struck me as different from how I've seen it spoken about today. Perhaps my judgment about hybrids being less common wasn't accurate (perhaps), but it was clearly a guess.

It was condescending, honestly. Taking a musing/guess as a declaration that the entirety of DOA MUST have thought exactly like the opinions expressed in the OP is a helluva leap of logic. There are ways to say "actually this thread might be a misrepresentation of the reality of the community at that time" without basically implying that someone didn't do the bare minimum and read even the first page.

13. ^^ All this
      Like everyone has said, the views of a few loud people who don't seem to care how they look on the internet are not the views of the whole hobby.

Also, just as an FYI, Dollmore stopped caring about this ages ago.
      They used to not sell heads separately, way back in fall of 08 (october or november I don't remember it was 10 years ago!) I pretty much begged them to sell me a head (Thinking Kara Klum) and they did question me as to what body I was planning on using. I already had a Kara Klum and was intending for it to be his extra head...and they sold it to me. Before the year was out they started selling heads on their site.

I've had so many Dollmore hybrids in the 10 years I've been collecting dolls and they still sell me all the parts I want!

14. I love hybrids! It gives you the freedom to choose the body and their height. Definitely needs a lot of research before jumping on it.
      Here's a picture of my Rion on Angell Studio's 74cm body next to my Hui. And he still have to do a split XD
      [​IMG]