1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do your friends think about your dolls?

Jul 14, 2009

1. My room mate is in "want" mode... she keeps forwarding me links to BJD auctions on ebay and accessories on etsy & despairs of not being able to pay over $200 for a doll herself.... so I will probably start scheming for a Christmas present for her!!! Several years ago for Christmas I got her an amazing super limited action figure of "Mugan" from Samurai Champloo made by RainMan as she is a huge Champloo fan, I would love to find her a nice doll that could make a nice "Jin", preferably the same size.

But she more than understands - in fact she makes traditional style Japanese kimokome dolls and takes classes weekly with her sensei - in November we are both going to Japan for two weeks on a guided tour her sensei gives every few years to groups of her students (which will include a visit to a traditional Japanese doll making company!)

Here is a link to her school in case you would like to check out a more traditional type of Asian doll :)

http://www.japanesedollsandcrafts.com/

2. Generally, my friends call them "creepy" but "pretty" and they like to pay more attention to the clothes I make than the actual doll. :sweat I have one friend, however, who loves them and certainly wants one someday.

3. My friends who are into BJDs gab about it with me all the time. We have mini-meets at each other's houses.

My friends who are not into BJDs either say they're "creepy", "eerily beautiful", or "very nice, but way too expensive...". But everyone's pretty respectful about it. They like seeing the pictures I post in my Livejournal, even if they aren't into them!

4. This is a good question, bjd's seem to invoke a wide variety of reactions from people >.<
      Two of my close friends collect bjd's, one of which just bought her first doll this year after calling me crazy for years XD
      Outside of that circle...I have taken my dolls to school before, and the reactions were varied. Most of them thought he was creepy or really cute, but all of them agreed it was worth more then they would ever consider paying.

5. No one I know is shocked by my collection, it's actually expected! Only one person thinks they are kind of creepy but she loves horror flicks so she thinks they are cool but in a creepy way. I do have a lot of dolls kind of hanging out pretty much all over except for the kitchen and bathrooms of course so it looks like I've definitely taken over but hubby doesn't seem to mind in the slightest as long as his computer desk is left alone haha! I have only one friend who is a collector so she's obviously very understanding:) We hang out with very open minded individuals who already know I'm a major doll collector and so far no one has ever told me they didn't like what they see or think it's too unusual.

6. All my friends( expect for one) collect BJDs or are wanting them. So everyone is in the same boat

7. I don't own a doll yet, but I've been talking obsessively about them to my family and more recently my friends...so... I've been confusing the heck out of one of them, and the other I just learned also likes BJDs and knew about them years before I did. I couldn't believe she didn't tell me. Ha ha ha. Anyway she was on the fence about getting one so when she found out I liked them we made a plan to get a pair together. Hehehe. So now we just have to decide if we want twins or lovers or something. Much fun.

8. Let's see, my girlfriend and I both collect and our closest friends all have their own dolls.

Some are people I already knew that became interested in BJDs after interacting with my dolls, as a matter of fact my very oldest friend just bought his first BJD - a MiniFee Luka. I've also made new very good friends through the local doll meets. Most of my other friends are artists of some kind and they appreciate the dolls even though they don't want to own one.

The only people who don't seem to get my BJDs are my mom and sister. My mom has never been into dolls and my sister says she doesn't understand how I can tell them apart. :? They don't openly dislike them but there's little interest beyond liking to know what I'm up to.

9. Well, they're just basically fine with it. Most of my friends really like my doll and think it's good that I'm doing something like this as opposed to something totally retardo. Truthfully, they just find the whole hobby interesting and they really love Oren because he just looks so harmless. xD

10. My roommate is doomed.

She came home from work today waving a copy of the June 2009 issue of Haute Doll that she'd found lying on a ledge in the lobby of the office building she works in. She opened it up to the article on Bishonens and pointed to a stunning redhead and said she'd want one just like that - the Dollshe Bernard.

Sure can pick 'em!!

:lol:

11. It's a split between a friend who loves and wants a BJD too, and probably everyone else who thinks they are creepy (AND evil. AND possessed).

I'm pretty sure my parents are disappointed with me though. Playing with dolls at this age P: Although my brother play with Warhammer...

12. Some think they're cool, some think they're creepy and some are baffled as to why I'd want them. But all think I'm insane for spending "that" much money on them in the first place. :lol:

But then again, I think so too. xD

13. A few of my friends have mentioned that pictures I showed them on websites were pretty, and the rest reeeeeally don't think much of them.

14. Most of my friends are in love with Yuuri, and they would love to get a doll of their own. Though they don't take it beyond that, they just like the idea, more than actually trying to obtain them. My fiance doesn't really love Yuuri, but he doesn't hate him, he plays with him occasionally, and he's talked about buying a doll to make his Naruto D20 character he had that he was in love with.

15. My friends/family think my dolls are wonderful, and are always interested in seeing any new ones or new things I have for them, especially shoes and wigs!!!
      .....I've always had dolls in my life, so I guess they are all very used to seeing me with dolls....The moment you come into my house you are greeted by dolls..lol...they are everywhere!!.......
      I have a friend who collects cows of all sizes and forms....She loves my dolls...I love her cows.......;)

xen :)

16. My guy friends try to ignore them out of respect but now and then they slip a negative comment about my dolls. My boyfriend doesn't like how much I spend on them, but he understands why they cost so much. My mom hated them at first, thinking they're creepy, but now she wants to make clothes for them and start a commission shop.

The strangest reaction I've had, though, is my male coworker. He's a super muscley metal head who always talks about death metal and stuff like that. When I mentioned my dolls, he really wanted to see them so I showed him and he couldn't stop looking at them because he thought they were so cool. Now, he mentions them now and then in conversation, usually to say that collecting these dolls is such a "cool" thing to do compared to other hobbies. LOL!

17. My friends think my dolls look cute but I'm kind of crazy to spend so much on them :sweat

Though one of my friends is going to purchase her first bjd soon hehe :]

Luckily I made some bjd friends through DOA and local meets ^0^

18. Most of my friends are very supportive, but none actually own BJDs themselves. I have a few who are interested in getting them, even after knowing the price tag, while others have said they are gorgeous but way too expensive.

19. I have a few friends that think my doll is cute, but would never buy one for themselves, and then one friend who thinks I'm crazy, but honestly I don't think she cares either way what I do with my money or what weird hobbies I have. lol

20. Most of my friends don't know, and the ones that do think I'm utterly insane (my family tends to agree). My one friend who does think the dolls are cool just bought her own and joined DoA. :D Bwahaha! Another successful conversion!