1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do your friends think about your dolls?

Jul 14, 2009

1. My friends think they're pretty cool, though they do think I'm just a tad odd for spending so much for one of them XD They're supportive, though - they think they're pretty. They don't like when I talk about them too much, hurhur. My one friend at first was very against me spending so much money on one, but now she's going to get herself one in a few months time. She also wants to sew clothes for my Kyle Reese on the way! Huzzah for conversion!
      My boyfriend is, well, a guy about it, but he supports my hobby. He can't exactly tell me I'm wasting money, since he has THOUSANDS of dollars worth of Godzilla figures in his room. I want to go to a doll meet and he says he'll go with me, but only if he can bring one of his big Godzilla figures LOL (at least people would have fun taking pictures of their dolls with it - "Look at me! I'm bigger than the giant radioactive dinosaur!!" xDD).

2. I noticed that it seems more weird that having a passion of human like things than others (trains, flights, boats). So I think it is the reason why we have some strange reactions from our relatives.

3. My family and friends who know I collect don't say much about it except to comment on the size or frequency of the packages I receive. Really, my only dolly outlet is the internet!

That being said, if I did talk about them more I'm sure my friends would be politely interested at worst and absolutely enthralled at best. They definitely wouldn't make fun of me. Well, they might say dolls are creepy but they wouldn't mean it (maybe).

4. my dad doesnt even know i have a bjd, my sister thinks im weird for it, but my mom thinks shes really cool, and actually sometimes gets little things for her. most of my family and friends think its ok and just a hobby, though they do tend to call me crazy when they hear how much my girl costs. now that im in austria though there isnt really anyone who likes them. my husband thinks im insane and openly says it, though after i bug him ALOT talk ALOT about the reasons i have her, while he still openly doesnt like her hes at least accepting that bjds are what makes me happy. and i do have one friend who would never buy but who thinks my girls pretty neat and spots for me. ^^
      so its rather mixed reviews depending on where i am.
      some are very positive, like my mom and the friend who got me into them,
      and some are very negative, (like my mother in law saying she looks like an evil barbie. T_T... )

5. It's quite the same situation :lol:
      When I got the first one, my friends seems to be happy with me, and I have only one doll for 10 months (during that time, my friends even gave some little presents for him, one even bought baby sock and hat for him (sure that he couldn't wear). However, the second and third one were regarded as the unreasonable spending. They think BJDs are too expensive and I was crazy that I spent money on something useless (to them). When I tell them I gonna get the two little ones (Soom July MD), they totally gave me very blame look. I think I won't tell them anymore when I get the new ones in the future.

6. My friends are all okay with it. One of them has gotten into collecting herself, after seeing my girls!

My other friends all think it's cool. Mind you, I hang out with some pretty quirky people who ALL have quite random and obsure hobbies, one collects fairytale memorabelia, 'Labyrinth' and Peter Pan items, another is a burlesque dancer and my acrobalance partner... you get teh idea, they'd be somewhat hypocritical to say my collection was strange.

7. I'm lucky, my two closest friends either also own such dolls or collect another type of doll (ex- porcelain)..sooo they think it's cool ^^

8. Um, well, I just came out told them all that I had found this new hobby I really wanted to get into. I explained it all. And they were all like yeah, so. They could care less. But I hope once I get my first doll that they will either remain indifferent, or surprise me and like him. Of course, I've been involved in some really strange activities; so, I guess this doesn't seem too odd. My mom, however, thinks it's really cool. She couldn't care about the cost because my husband and I collect arcade machines, and in comparison the cost doesn't seem all that bad. :XD:

9. my friends think I'm wierd...anyway! so, basically they support me in my wierdness, whatever it is in the moment. personally, I think they wish they could be more playful but they can do it through me I guess.
      I feel fortunate that I actually found some people in the area who "collect" bjds' (whatever is the correct term for this "hobby"? it's so much more than a hobby!) and I can email them and meet with them. it's hard when there's no one to share things with...hence I guess, this forum!
      :)

10. My little sisters absolutely love my Venus. I had to yell at one of them because she kept grabbing Venus by her legs because "it was the only thing she could reach" so that she could hold her. Both my niece and my youngest sister want one. My niece is only six so she's a bit too young to get one right now, but she loves holding Venus and brushing her hair and stuff. I'm actually surprised about how gentle she is with her. I've had no problems with her being too rough with her or almost dropping her or anything like that.

My mom is kinda of mad at me for getting her. ee;; I got yelled at the other day because I brought my doll into work(I keep her in a laptop case) to show one of my coworkers, who's interested in getting a doll herself, and I was carrying Venus out of the store with me when I got off. She told me I was nineteen and thus too old to be carrying around and playing with dolls. My brother just thinks I'm weird, but with my love of anime and things like that he already thought I was weird. xD;;

My coworkers/friends(because I"m close to just about everyone I work with) are kind of split. I brought Venus in with me the first day I got her because my siblings were over and hyped about her and I was afraid that they would play with her and scratch her up while I was gone. Plus I was working on an outfit for her. When I first brought her in, without the face-up and her DARK olive brown, almost black, eyes, a few of my coworkers said she looked scary and possessed. A few others just said she'd look alot better with some color. xD;;; It was after I brought her in again with her face-up done that a majority of my coworkers fell in love with her. They absolutely love her and the first day I didn't bring her in they were all asking where she was. I've actually managed to get a few of my co-workers interested in BJDs too, though while a lot of them are interested only a few are actually thinking about getting one.

I think at first alot of people thought I was crazy because of how expensive she was, but I explained that the main reason why I thought about getting one is because I'm interested in fashion design and practicing making clothes for myself is a bit expensive so making clothes for a doll costs alot less since I can just use scrap fabric. I'm also planning on making a manga and since I have so much trouble with poses I thought that getting a BJD for the characters might help me. Plus, I want to work on my photography... And there's quite a few good reasons why I got Venus. xD;;; But of course... I'm finding how addicting these dolls are. I'm already planning on getting three more dolls(when I get the money) and I'm guessing that by the time I'm done getting dolls(which I expect will be years from now) I'll at least have thirty. xD;;

And as for friends(outside of work), just about all of my friends are interested in BJDs. I've got three that really want one, but the price is a bit too much for one of them. The other two are planning on getting one when they manage to save up enough money. And then one of my friends already owns two and she's the reason why I got one. nn;

11. My guy friends have no problem informing me of how creepy they think BJDs are. My other friends just don't care, or don't say anything if they see my doll; at least they're respectful about it. I have two friends that are into BJDs, and one of those two has one. But mostly I express my dolly enthusiasm to my boyfriend, who is into BJDs.

12. My friends all have dolls.. and the ones who don't, want dolls themselves! xD
      Sadly a best friend of mine had to sell his one and only doll for Uni-ness.. T_T

13. My friends vary in their opinion of dolls and there are a few I would do best to avoid telling them about my dolls for various reasons... so far I have found three, one was kinda neutral, who wouldn't mind if there were dolls in the room so long as they weren't porcelain lol, can't say I don't agree witht hem ^_^;;

As far as the friends I have that I wouldn't want to tell go, they aren't exactly the people that follow the stereotypes or whatnot, but they just wouldn't understand. And to be honest, I really don't want to deal with the headache they'd cause me...

14. a few of my friends knew that I wanted one for a while but the ones I've told so far have all been really surprised that I finally actually bought one but they all seem to like her
      no negative comments about anything related to her or BJDs/dolls at all though, even though it's super out-of-character for me ^^;
      we just tend to accept eachother's hobbies/interest without fuss

15. I have friends both in and out of the doll community, ones outside the doll community either think the dolls are creepy or they think they are awesome. Either way, I'm pretty sure they all think I'm nuts on some level, but with the friends I keep... they are just as crazy with different things.

16. My friends are pretty cool about it. At first they couldn't understand why I would spend so much money on a doll. Once they really saw them, they liked them well enough. One of my friends even joined the hobby :D

17. Most of my friends (not including the ones I've met through BJDs, of course) are passively interested and don't mind my dolls. My guy friends for the most part think they are strange but tolerate them and give comments or critique sometimes--they genuinely try, which is nice because I know they don't really 'get it'.

Then there are the Converts, who loved my dolls at first sight and either have their own now or are still shopping for the perfect face.

Among these is Atalice, who followed me straight into this hobby and has been shamelessly and fiercely enabling me ever since. She convinced me to buy my last doll even though I was feeling guilty about spending the money, and at a particularly low point for me, she knew he was just what I needed. She's always the first person I talk to when I have trouble making even the most seemingly trivial of dolly decisions... her frank devil-may-care attitude is both hazardous and inspiring to a 'detail-oriented' person like me. :roll:

18. I started collecting out of my own interest, and my friends didn't influence me in any other way possible, and right now with my first BJD, they seem interested and a little intrigued by her, but they do admit they feel creeped out by dolls and wouldn't start the hobby themselves. which is totally fine. Though, I can't help but think that they think I'm weird for it :I and things are okay right now since I have a relatively small doll, but i think my next doll will be a larger one, and I am a bit nervous about their reactions....though, i think they might be more creeped out by it, I don't think they'll mind when they come over too much (since I usually store my dolls in their boxes anyways to prevent scratching or fading)

19. I'm all new in the hobby and most of my friends don't even know I have a bjd. I'm not sure I want them to know. Part because I'm afraid of their reaction, part because I want to keep my bjd for myself.
      A couple of friend came for lunch yesterday. They knows about my bjd because they are friend to my boyfriend who told them. They ask to see her very nicely and they react very good saying it was really pretty. But i was not comfortable. Maybe later I will be ok to show her but today i want to keep her for me.

20. The first two years i owned my first doll. I had the hobby for myself. I did not know anyone with my shared bjd interested. Now days I hang out almost just with people who have them and its wonderful to be with people that understands your passion <3