1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do your friends think about your dolls?

Jul 14, 2009

1. I can add that some of my friends is of course not in the hobby but they don't think I'm weird or anything. One of my heavy metal guy friends actually said that they are cute and they made him slightly happy to look at that was rather funny! =)

2. Well, I guess the first thing to admit is that I don't have very many friends. I'm just very introverted and, especially in person, I don't connect well with others. The friends that I do have are, so to speak, hand-picked and are much more open-minded about my oddness as a result.

I have one female friend who, upon seeing Liam, told me that he was very pretty. She followed it by saying that it was kind of creepy, but that she likes him. I think this is fair, since sometimes I have to move Liam, because he's watching me and it's a little unsettling.

On the other hand, I have a male friend who comes over for dinner every now and again. He always notices if Liam is wearing something new and, the last time he was over, we spent a good twenty minutes going through Liam's stuff. His only issue is that he can't believe that somebody would spend so much money on a doll.

My family all think doll collecting is really good for me. I think, in their minds, it's just a natural evolution for me, because I've collected various types of dolls my whole life. My Grandma is especially happy, because I've gotten back into sewing doll clothes, which is something that we did together when I was little.

Overall, I haven't encountered any really negative reactions to my doll, but I think a big part of that is that I keep a very closed circle of friends. I imagine if I told my acquaintances, that I'd run into some mean reactions.

3. My friends who know about it think it might be a bit weird but they can't really talk because they have strange hobbies themselves. :lol: My boyfriend likes the doll hobby more than my kimono hobby because it's cheaper but that's the only reason. Otherwise he's fine with it.

As for the dolls themselves though, not many have seen Souji yet but one of my friends think Deidara is intimidating Not creepy-doll scary, just intimidating. What a man, huh? :/

4. posing with the godzilla would be to fun! I have told my friends because i don't have a doll yet.(plus its not really something that comes up*shrug*) My mom thinks they are pretty and interesting. My lil sister wants one really ad so i gave her my off-topic doll

5. All of my friends are doll collectors too. Do you have a doll club you can join in your area?

6. Most of my friends are in the hobby too, so no problem ! The others think that I'm lucky to have such a creative hobby. (and expensive too, but they think the dolls are not sooooo expensive) !

7. Wha?! That makes me feel a little better knowing that EP peeps do exist on this forum :D

8. I don't own a doll yet but I've discussed them a bit to my closest friends and only one thinks it's really weird. Most of them have been pretty respectful about it and really they're the kind of people that really don't care about what I do or don't like as long as I'm happy. My little sister is okay with them too although she does find some sculpts a little creepy but she doesn't seem to hate my pullips (in fact I think she has a secret obsession with one of them) and she seems to like how bjds look (she does have a fear of dolls though but that stems from her dislike of old porcelain like dolls). I was pretty sure my mom would have freaked but she seems pretty ok with them too (I obviously haven't disclosed the price... I fear that may change her opinion).

9. Almost all of my friends' thoughts about my dolls(and not just BJDs, ALL of them) are as follows: "Creeeeepy." Except for a few that actually think they are cute. I think my boyfriend is actually the most doll accepting one (even though he thinks they're too ridiculously expensive and I haven't been able to explain the reason for that properly to him), they just either think they're creepy or they think they're cute. Nothing more extreme than that, luckily. My mother also really approves of all the crafty things I do for my dolls, because I learn a bunch of new things along the way.

10. I totally feel the same way. I am the only one amongst my friends (or that I even know of for that matter) that is into this hobby. I wish I kew of others where I live. Most of my friends balk at the price (but will easily spend the same amount or more on a pair of shoes or handbag). My friends love to look at them and say "oh, how cute" but that's about it. I can't help but wonder if they ever make comments about it behind my back. I too feel like a weirdo some times...

11. None of my friends are into the hobby but my closest friends know a bit about it and they like the look of bjds, but I don't think any of them will buy one themselves. A lot of my friends have different hobbies so it's okay actually ^^

12. My friends love my dolls and like helping me do creative things with them, like sewing because I'm not the best at that. We all have so many interests in common I was expecting good reactions anyways, they just think some of the prices are crazy haha (:

13. They just accept it really. Some think they're beautiful, others think they're creepy, but that's about as far as it goes.

We don't talk about how much our hobbies cost though, and I suppose I might be a bit uncomfortable if I had to go into the detail of it. If I ever do get comments on it I just argue that it's the equivalent of a few nights out clubbing. As I don't have time for that, I might as well have pretty stuff to look at instead! :)

14. I don't have friends *_*

Ha, just kidding (sorta...)
      They mainly think dolls are creepy.

15. some friends just dont get it. they show me pictures or Barbie and baby dolls they think i would like :/ and then theres the ones who try and change the subject or stop talking to me all together wen i mention dolls

16. Interesting discussion.
      Well, one of my friends got me into this mess, so I guess she supports my hobby wholeheartedly... xD Then I do have those "creeped out" friends too, and for few of them I do feel obliged to stuff my lovelies to their boxes for the duration of their visit. One of my friends especially finds it odd, that I having many "male-like-likes" such as video games can also like dolls. She does not fare well with the "contradiction", so that also means some quality box-time for my BJDs. ^^' But even she has promised to help me with the dolls' outfits, so I can confidently say that it is not that any one of them actually really minds. All my friends have stuck with me this far because they can accommodate all the little oddities of mine, as I would/do for them too. But I do feel the urge to also act sympathetic to their sensitivities, as I view them to be. And if they do feel uncomfortable with the dolls, I will move the dolls out of sight.
      I do have acquaintances who are not aware that the dolls exist. But anyone closer to me than that has been properly informed. :)
      Also, being still a student surrounded by students the prices are never discussed. Ever. xD

17. My best friend and I got into the hobby together. A few of my other friends want dolls after seeing mine, but the price tag is just too steep for them. The rest know I have them and that's that. They are polite about it, though I am sure they are creepy to them.

I ordered a new doll recently and my friend asked me to show him pictures and asked when it will arrive, ect. Though I know he doesn't really care about the dolls, he's just being a good friend, knowing how excited I am about it.

18. I don't have any other friends that are interested in BJDs.
      Some of them think it's pretty cool, like two of them, and the others... They just, idk, they don't particularly care for them.
      I did have one friend who was going to buy a BJD, but we fought, and we aren't friends anymore.
      So who knows!

19. My friends do not collect dolls haha. Naturally, they all think I'm crazy for spending a huge amount of money on "just a doll". However, three of my friends, who don't collect dolls, think they're totally awesome, amazing, and beautiful! :) They support me in this hobby, and I love them for it ^_^"

20. they think its cool =) but they always say im such a crazy girl for spending so much money for my hobby. but theyre still supportive anyways